Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador

HeatherLC
New User

Dec 3, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3515 views)
Shortcut
Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador Can't Post

Hello, 4 months ago i bought a black labrador for south dakota. He was shipped in and was great for the first month. As we were living at our cottage. When we moved back into town, hes behaviour had altered. He attacts, jumps up on me, and on guests when they vistit, bits my hand, and jumps up and grabs onto my neck with his teeth and trys to hump. He is almost 6 months old, and he has lost all of his baby teeth. The vet has told us he might have a agressive domanent behaviour problem. He is getting so bad, that we cannot leave him unattended in our house. If we are not playing with him or if hes not outside, he must be in his kennel. We have tried, lemon juice, the gentle leader, pepper, finger pressing down on his tounge, lightly bitiing him back, everything that we could think of and sugesstions from freinds and family. I really want to correct this behaviour problem so i can allow him to wander the house freely without worrying if he is going to attact/jump up on us, or destroy valuable items. We are getting him neutered soon so im hoping that will settle him down. But does anyone have any ideas or ways which can correct his behaviour? It would be greatly needed.Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 3:09 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HeatherLC] Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Missed your posting ... sorry if this response is a little late ...

Aggression is rare in a well-bred Labrador. Unfortunately, badly bred Labradors can exhibit aggression but even so ... I would hesitate before labling a dog aggressive without more ...

You describe the dog as ... " ... He attacts, jumps up on me, and on guests when they vistit, bits my hand, and jumps up and grabs onto my neck with his teeth and trys to hump ..."

Question: What do you mean by "attack"? ... An attacking dog is a ferocious sight, accompanied by obvioius snarling and showing of teeth ...

Question: Has your dog actually "bitten" you, a family member or a guest, as in - with intent biting hard enough to break skin and cause a wound?

If you answer "yes" to either question ... then you may have an aggressive dog ... and it's hard in a forum of this nature to deal with "real" aggression or unstable temperament in dogs. Suggest you seek advice and counsel from experienced dog people or trainers where you live.

However, if your answers are "No" ... and what you really mean is that your Lab jumps at you and holds you with his mouth ... without deliberately breaking skin ... then your Lab may be exhibiting dominent tendencies ... or is not sufficiently trained or disciplined ...

Assuming that it is not "aggrression" ...

A six month old male dog is quite like a male teenager, and will try to push the limits and see how far it can go in establishing who is the leader of the pack ... This is quite natural ... The solution is for you to exhibit "responsible" leadership and to show the dog that you are the leader and not the other way around.

Using " ... lemon juice, ... pepper, finger pressing down on his tounge, lightly bitiing him back ..." or neutering the dog ... may not quite give you the results you are hoping for.

I do believe that best way of establishing responsible leadership and maintaining reasonable control over the dog, is to do the following:

(a) Commence training the dog using proper and effective techniques. I do find (generally) praise & reward techniques to be more rewarding than punishment & restraint methods. Regular training sessions with the dog (a) teaches the dog (and the owner) good dsicipline ... (b) enhances communication between dog & owner (during training sessions, the owner learns to observe & understand the dog better) ... (c) enhances bonding between dog & owner. And most important, establishes quite clearly and effectively - who is leader in an environment of teaching & learning.

(b) Learn to exercise "consistency" in everything you do with the dog, be it in training or in just day to day living with the dog ... If a situation is a "NO" then it is always a "NO" ... not a maybe or just once is okay.

A dog's basic and instinctive behaviour is not always or naturally condusive to household living ... If you wish for a well-behaved dog - you will need to invest time and effort in (a) aquiring an understanding of training methods and dog behaviour ... (b) applying that knowledge to teach your dog what is required of him ... I would say we owe it to all our dogs ... Smile

So ... start with getting a good training manual and reading (there is much more to properly training a dog than first meets the eye, and requires more input than can be given in this forum) ... If you get stuck on any specific issue ... do come back and I am sure forum members will do what they can to assist ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 11, 2003, 3:16 AM)

annkam100

Mar 5, 2004, 9:02 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Surchinmy,

I just bump into this posting. I really admire your knowledge on dogs and your helpfullness to assist forum members who are in dileama. Great Work!!!! WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

--Ann

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 5, 2004, 9:24 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annkam100] Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Thank you ... Smile ... Just like everyone else - am just doing what I can and hoping not to make too many mistakes along the way ...

There is so much to learn ... and posting in the forum is actually beneficial to me ... it reminds me of what I must remember ... requires me to organise my own thoughts and ideas, to avoid rambling ... Tongue ... encourages me to learn more, for myself and our dogs ... Most important, it teaches me to focus on a very important lesson ... in our journey with dogs, we learn far more than they do ... when given a chance, our dogs bring out the best in us ...

Cheers ... and once again - thanks

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 5, 2004, 9:33 PM)

animallover08
New User

Feb 19, 2005, 5:41 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HeatherLC] Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey... I have a black lab too shes mostly lab and part beagle but shes agressive too... only towards strangers tho... Umm basically the smartest thing to do would be to get your dog into a Obedience Class!! If you cant do that, Trying reading about how to train your dog... But its gonna be a lot of work... I try to train my dog because I know a lot but some dogs just dont have the patience or sometiems they think their the boss... But training would be the best possible choice, Well Good luck and have Fun!!:)

.Lab
Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2005, 11:56 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [animallover08] Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

It works better than punishment huh? Tell that to my dad.. and I have tried getting him to place Hazel in an Obedience Class but he says we just bring along a stick and whack whack.

.Lab Frown Frown

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hazel = A Terror in Disguise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 5, 2005, 2:38 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [.Lab] Agressive 6 Month Black Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

using stick to wack wack will ruined your close relationship with ur dog

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my