Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Stopping These

BatdroxFudge
Novice

Dec 3, 2003, 12:21 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1976 views)
Shortcut
Stopping These Can't Post

My 3 month old pup is exhibiting some behaviors that are starting to become unnerving. Mad

1) He aggressively knocks my two year old son to the ground and humps him! Everytime they play multiple times sometimes so that's the only way he plays with my son! I dont like it one bit and have tried just about everything to get him to stop. I especially dont want my son mocking the behavior because he has a way of playing "doggy." He runs around on all fours and picks up Battys toys and rolls on the floor with the pup. I just want the pup to stop and know any good methods that will make it stop.

2) He begs for food, I cant even make food in the kitchen anymore without tripping over him every time I move! He has never been directly handed food but has gotten it when it falls to the floor. Should I not let him near us when we eat, like putting him in his crate or is there another way I can let him be with us but not begging!

3) This is kind of grossing me out and I dont know what to do. My boyfriend and where laying in bed playing with our puppy the other night and he rolled over on his back and we were giving him a belly rub. When I got blood on my hand, when I further investigated his penis was bleeding. After that we kept a close eye on the little guy for the next couple of days and he will lick himself and then start to actually bite himself until he bleeds! He hasnt done it as bad as the night we noticed this but he still does cause himself to get small bruises or breaks the skin. :( Is something possible wrong with him?

-Queen-of-Self-Inflicted-Drama-

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 3, 2003, 6:40 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BatdroxFudge] Stopping These [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear BatdroxFudge,

I think the so-called "Hump" is related to itchiness or irritation to the penis where he finds a creative way of scratching using your son. At 3 month the "humping" instinct maturity is impossible to be there per se. I believe it is due to infections as u mentioned he licks and bites till bleed. This is no more doggie play. Get him to a vet immediately and get it treeted. You may even advised to use the cone collar to prevent him licking the wound. The vet should advise you on that. Once the irritation stops the "humping your kid" action should stop.

There are however some other things which you should be aware of for future wellbeing of you and your puppy. You have not mentioned the breed of your dog so I will just be general in my reply.

Begging for food is a good trait as that means he has good food drive. This will result in fast learning if you trains this puppy. 3 month is a good time to start motivational training on simple cmmands like sit, down and come. However picking food from the floor is not good. We want the dog to look up to us and only eat from our hands or his food bowls. It is not good if the dog scowered the grounds for food all the times and this should be conditined early when it is easiest. For now u should be more careful not to drop any food items on the floor when u r in kitchen or pick up the food if you do. Also, no feeding from your dinner table when you are eating too.

Otherwise, it is good to keep the puppy safely crated if you do not have the time to monitor his activities. This will be better than to let him roam and do as he likes and learns the wrong things along the way.

Bed is a symbol of previllage when it comes to dogs. Some dogs whom are more dominant will associate bed is a previllage for the owner and him only.....meaning off limits to your BF or Kids. He could get aggressive depending on his dominance level and breed specific. It is better never to allow a puppy growing up conditioned to being on the bed. Unless you are a very capable trainer whom understands dog behaviour like the back of your hands should you be taking this risk.

Hope this helps and please get him to the vet.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

(This post was edited by PSD on Dec 3, 2003, 6:44 PM)

BatdroxFudge
Novice

Dec 3, 2003, 9:10 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Stopping These [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for all the wonderful advice. I will call his vet ASAP in the morning to find out if I can get him in tomorrow about a possible infection. :( I would be so sad if it was something like that, I've already had to get him dewormed twice because he had worms really bad when I got him and was only like 8 pounds. Then I found out he had phenomia(sp) and we had to give him medicane everyday twice a day. He was the smallest of his litter I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

And he is a Chocolate Lab/German Short hair pointer mix.

-Queen-of-Self-Inflicted-Drama-

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 3, 2003, 9:31 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BatdroxFudge] Stopping These [In reply to] Can't Post

BatdroxFudge,

You are most welcomed. The important thing is your puppy. I was hoping you will take him to the vet today itself as bleeding wounds could get worse by the hour especially so it is at the penile areas. Abt the size, it should not be a related problem to the infection generally. I would think so tht the size n weight may be highly related to the worms infestation where it deprives him of his nutrients or it could just be genetics.

He sure is going to grow into medium large size later and imagining him jumping on your bed at that size. You have to decide if you wanted this in future.Tongue

Hope your puppy gets better. Good luckSmile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my