Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Peeing

BatdroxFudge
Novice

Dec 3, 2003, 12:11 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Peeing Can't Post

My 3 month old chocolate lab/German short haired pointer is a very good dog and he caught on to potty training very quickly but lately he isnt doing so well. He is crate trained so at night he sleeps in his crae. The last couple days everytime I let him out he seems to be doing want he needs. He squats runs around even lifts his leg now multiple times outside. Then comes in and pees right by my feet where ever I am stanting or sitting! Its getting very annoying and cannot figure out why he is doing this!

-Queen-of-Self-Inflicted-Drama-

(This post was edited by BatdroxFudge on Dec 3, 2003, 12:15 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 6, 2003, 4:11 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BatdroxFudge] Peeing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

If, when your puppy pees by or near your feet, the puppy is not assuming any submissive posture ... such as, crouching down on fours, or showing you its belly as it pees or immediately after it pees ... then it's not likely to be a case of "submmissive" peeing ... (if it is submissive peeing, then check the relevant threads for this topic & remedy) ...

If your puppy is actually running over and deliberately lifting where you stand or sitting ... then wow ... your doggie is growing up at a very young age ... Smile ... must be the Pointer in him ... Laugh

Well ... in such a case, and now that you know what your pup is likely to do ... as soon as you see it start to lift its leg where you are ... stand up straight, look down at the pup and give a sharp low growl ... NOOO ... and simultaneously step back ...

It is quite important to time this verbal repremand correctly ... the NO must come just as the dog is about to lift & pee ... Repeat as necessary ...

Cheers ... Smile

BatdroxFudge
Novice

Dec 6, 2003, 9:31 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Peeing [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to be submissive peeing then, because he doesnt lift his leg. He's normally on all fours crouching down and never actually pees on me but right by me. I'll hve to look into submissive peeing. Thanks so much for the advice!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 6, 2003, 10:23 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2146 views)
Shortcut

hmph not all male puppies will lift their legs while peeing. especially for young puppies, they squat :)

my dog is already 3 years old now and he still squats.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 6, 2003, 10:30 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2146 views)
Shortcut

Ah so ... then it sounds like "submissive peeing" ...

Okay ... that is good ... well, at least much better than for such a young dog to be showing dominance ... Smile ... because its far more natural for a young dog to "submit" ... It's a pup's instinctive way of acknowledging that you are higher up the heirachy than he is ...

And the issue of "submissive peeing" should be handled with some sensitivity ... do not reprimand, punish or scold the pup ... that will only make the situation ... the more you frighten the pup, the more the pup will be inclined to submit ...

So ... check the threads for correct remedial training ...

Cheers Smile

BatdroxFudge
Novice

Dec 6, 2003, 11:31 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Peeing [In reply to] Can't Post

Well the last few days he has been very good and not been exhibiting this behavoir. But today while I was doing my normal obediance training with him he got up during a stay command and I lowly said now to which he rolled over and pee'd. I wasnt sure what to do so I cleaned up after him and ignored him for awhile. Because I know you arent suppose to console them when they do it and not suppose to scold. I'm hoping this will work or at least help him.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 7, 2003, 12:13 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2132 views)
Shortcut

Looks like your dog is keying in very much to your tone of voice ... when you "lowly said no" ... the pup recognised the low tone as a growl and submitted ... which is not wrong or bad in itself ...

Given the pup's age and that the submissive peeing is not happening that regularly ... it is quite likely your pup will simply grow out of the habit ... And in the meantime, just go on doing what you are doing - clean up and ignore the peeing ...

Well done ... Smile

Cheers ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 7, 2003, 12:14 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my