Hope to get some advice !!!

jan
Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2003, 1:57 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Hope to get some advice !!! Can't Post

Hi there !!

I know that there are lots of threads on the things that i'm going to ask...i've been looking through but i really need to get some attention here.

i have a 4th month becoming female shih tzu. The problems (supposed not to) are my furkid tend to bark when she was in cage. Is there anyway to train her not to bark whenever seeing people pass by the cage. Firstly, the only solution that i tried was letting her out from the cage. Secondly, if i let her out from her cage, she will go near the altar and play with the wooden craft that we prayed or drink the water from the glass which we used it for praying purpose. I've heard that small pups are easy to train but it's kind of hard as my furkid does not afraid when you say "NO" or pat her on the buttocks. She can even pee/poo at any place without warning signs. She pee like she was in a sitting position. It's kind of late whenever we notice her doing the wrong things.

Is there anyway that i could do to reduce the pee/poo thingy. i observed that she always pee. She kind of peeing 2 to 3 times in an hour...izzit normal ?? I think she weights 2 kg (last month was 1.8kg) right now. What is the normal weight for a 4 months female shih tzu?? She is kind of hungry all the time... I feed her twice a day with dry dog food.

She has just getting better from flu and since the day she got flu. there will be always a smell coming from her face. and you can smell that from far, like when she was sitting on your lap. She always have this wetness below the eye and tangled the fur between the eye and nose. How do i stop the wetness ?? I've tried to clean in a few times a day and it still smell like that. Do shih tzu has this type of behaviour/health when they are small ?? I also owned a male lhasa apso x maltese, Cocoa. I've never had a puppy that aged 4 months. The time when I brought Cocoa home, he was already 11 months and it's easy to train him, like "sit" command and also "come" and "up" although he was likes to pee/poo anywhere. sometimes he can really go to the place where he should go for pee/poo.

Do advice me on this as i was really unfamiliar for me to take care a small pup and this is my first time. Sometimes really lost patient on her but i'll have to take care of her coz i was the one who brought her home and i have to responsible for her.

Thanks.

^^Jan^^

Cocoa & Dorie, my best mates.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 2, 2003, 8:27 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jan] Hope to get some advice !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

(A) Your question: "... Is there anyway that i could do to reduce the pee/poo thingy. i observed that she always pee. She kind of peeing 2 to 3 times in an hour...izzit normal ?? ..."

I will assume you have correctly observed your pup. I don't think its normal even for a 4 month puppy, to be peeing as often as 2 or 3 times an hour. Please take your pup to a vet for a check up. Your pup may have a urinary infection.

(B) Your question: " ... I think she weights 2 kg (last month was 1.8kg) right now. What is the normal weight for a 4 months female shih tzu?? She is kind of hungry all the time... I feed her twice a day with dry dog food ..."

A mature STzu should weigh between 9lb to 16lb. So, I would suspect that about 5lbs for a 4month old should be about correct (But please confirm with someone who knows STzus ...)

(C) Your question: " ... there will be always a smell coming from her face ... She always have this wetness below the eye and tangled the fur between the eye and nose ... How do i stop the wetness ?? I've tried to clean in a few times a day and it still smell like that ..."

Please check this thread:
www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=68193;search_string=smelly%20face;#68193

(D) Your question: " ... Is there anyway that i could do to reduce the pee/poo thingy ..."

Sorry ... pee & poo are what they call natural acts ... and apart from starving or dehydrating your dog ... there is no way to "reduce" it ... But what you can do is (a) to train your pup to pee & poop in the correct place and (b) with training, to regulate the times for waste elimination.

(E) Question: " ... my furkid tend to bark when she was in cage. Is there anyway to train her not to bark whenever seeing people pass by the cage ..."

Yes ... there are training methods to help control & reduce unnecessary barking ...

(F) Your statement: "... I've heard that small pups are easy to train but it's kind of hard as my furkid does not afraid when you say "NO" or pat her on the buttocks ..."

Puppies are easy to train if the owner knows what to do, when & how to do it ... Unfortunately, there are no short cuts and it is very difficult through this forum to tell you all that you need to know ...

If you find it too tedious ploughing through the various threads, then I suggest you get a good training manual and learn the basics of how to house, crate and behaviour train a pup.

Visit MPH or Times - they carry some decent training books.

Training a pup properly using correct technique will reward you many fold and help avoid many potential problems - and you owe it to yourself and your pup to learn all you can about how to train a pup ...

You are right ... having brought a puppy back, you are now responsible for its well-being Smile ...

Good luck
Cheers

meiyoong

Dec 4, 2003, 5:31 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jan,

My problem is almost same with u. My shih tzu also have a smelly face. Shih tzu is like that. Their eyes tend to have excessive tears when there is fur or something dirty inside their eyes. Therefore u must clean your shih tzu eyes daily. I normally used a syringe to flush my shih tzu eyes to make sure there nothing inside his eyes. Make sure also the fur around her face is short enough so that would not poke into her eyes.Beside their eyes, u also must clean their ears also.You can just clean their ear 3 week once, not too frequently

Beside that, your shih tzu still a young puppy. Puppy tend to eat a lot. Actually u should feed a puppy twice a day three times a day. Your puppy is going a stage of growing up, that's why needs to eat a lot.If u say she loooks hungry most of the time, maybe the food u give her are not enough. Try to add some for her but not too much.

Last time my shih tzu was puupy, he also doesn't want stay at his crate especially at night. He will all the night untill we release him. Maybe we have manja him, so untill today he never sleeps inside his crate at all. I guess shih tzu is quite a stubborn dog. You must take care your puppy well coz puppy time, they antiody is not strong enough. They will easily get sick.At puppy stage also, u must train and discipline her well before she turn to spoilt brat like my dog now. It's hard to train when they grows older.

DESMONDV
New User

Dec 17, 2003, 2:24 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jan,

I have a Male Shih Tzu, 3 years old now. When he was that age, he would whine and bark when left in the cage. We found out that he was simply scared to be left alone and needs alot of attention. Simply carrying him and sitting him byyour side will get him to be quiet. Use Key words like " Go in the Cage" whenever he is noughty... after a while he gets the messege. I mean really put him in when he is naughty.

Now my boy sleeps on my bed with me with his head on my pillow half the time, there is no longer a cage in the house as just those words stop him from making a fuss.

He also knows how to give a paw when he wants something. at least he gets to communicate with me. talk to your doggie as if she was a human, but use clear simple words or phrases that you keep repeating and showing by example.. after a while she will know. ( mine learnt in about 3 hours for one phrase ) but then give it time to settle in before teaching a new word.

Hope this will help

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my