Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
submissive peeing or just over excited??

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 1, 2003, 11:08 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3446 views)
Shortcut
submissive peeing or just over excited?? Can't Post

Hi guys, need some opinion. My shihtzu/maltese (female by the way) has developed this problem and it is getting worst. Babe likes to greet us by jumpin on us and we'll say hello and pat her. If we go off for a few days & come back, she''ll be so excited, she'll pee a few drops greeting us. I use to have a maid so babe has company while we are @ work. But our maid has gone back for good. We are also out more often due to work. We eat out as we have no time. Nowadays, she pees a lot more. My parents come home earlier from work, babe will pee a little 50 cent puddle when we reach out to pet her. It has graduated to her peeing when jumping on us and we haven't even reach out our hands to her yet and the puddle is getting bigger and bigger. Now it is the size of 4 fifty cent coin sometimes. If someone has already come home, then when she greet the second person that comes home, she will be happy greeting us but won't be so over excited and is more controlled.

I scold her a bit and wipe but I have no heart to punish her. Nowadays, when I see that she is too excited, I will greet her but won't touch her until later but sometimes she pees just at the sight of us. I'll tell her "No peeing" while I slowly reach my hand out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My heart goes out to her. I know my babe is very lonely during the day. I wanted to get her a companion. But my mom screamed bloody murder and threatened all sorts of things. So I'll have to wait until I get my own place. Mean time, I buy her more toys and spent more time manja manja her when I am home. Problem is, here, you can't really bring your kid out with you to a lot of places.

Meanwhile, my mom is complaining my ears off bout my furkid.

Anyway, just hit me the other day, (1) can she be graduating from over excited peeing to submissive peeing? (2) What else can I do to help ease her loneliness during the day when we are all out?

Laura & Babe

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 2, 2003, 8:42 AM

Post #2 of 13 (3434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitten] submissive peeing or just over excited?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

From your description ... it is probably both ... excitement & submissive peeing ...

And please - punishing or scolding the dog will simply make matters worse ... Do check the threads on submissive peeing & the correct methods required to eleviate the problem ...

Your question: " ... What else can I do to help ease her loneliness during the day when we are all out? ..."

Don't go out so often or stay out so long.

As you correctly surmised, the problem has increased proportionately with increased 'loneliness' ... I am afraid buying toys and 'manja-ing' your dog in the little time that you are around is not the solution ... You many be able to minimise the problem with proper training & approach (check threads) ... but I suspect, for so long as your dog is a 'latch key' dog ... the problem will remain to some degree or another ...

Cheers Smile

PS ... Also, the manner in which your mother reacts to the dog when it pees may be aggravating the situation ... If that is a possibility - then please explain to your mother about excitement & submissive peeing ...

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 2, 2003, 7:34 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] submissive peeing or just over excited?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi surchinmy, thanks for your çandid advice. I'll be checking on the info you have given me.

I don't punish my kid, I know it is not her fault. I do scold sometimes by saying "Bad Girl". It gets a little hard when you are pressured, working overtime and come home to mom screaming about your dog and housechores. Despite the many explanations, mom stills screams, she is not partial to animals.

The amt of time I'm out, is beyond my control. I work in IT and the hours are not exactly standard. Weekends though I'm home and go out in the evening when my parents are home.

You have shown me a different angle in looking @ the problem plus some insight into my dog that I was unable to see b4. "Latchkey" is a very apt description. Babe has developed problems after coming to Malaysia and having her lifestyle changed. Quite obviously, I should modify the methods and ways of approaching the issues now. I'll do more homework to see how to address the problem and the variables. Smile

Laura & Babe

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 2, 2003, 8:22 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

It's tough ... and I do understand about work and other external factors that increase stress in our lives and ultimately frustration ... And yes, sometimes it just so easy and the temptation so great (even when we know its not correct) to scold the dog ...

From the dog's perspective ... excitment & submissive peeing is a basic & natural reaction when they are afraid or anxious to please ... And punishment by the owner in any form, including the showing of displeasure & scolding simply increases stress for the dog - compounding (not resolving) the problem ... Your dog probably knows & feels your moods better than you realise ... dogs are so instinctively in-tune with the emotions we emit ...

But if you do seriously wish to reduce or remove the problem ... then you do need to address the cause of why your dog is peeing ...

Sometimes, it can seem as if the dog cramps our life style ... but that really - is a question of perspective ... And sometimes we need to remind ourselves - who has been our most faithful friend? ... who loves us unconditionally? ... who sits that with us when we are down? ... and then maybe we find it easier to adjust our life and timetable to make space for our four-legged friend ...

Cheers Smile

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 3, 2003, 10:40 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] submissive peeing or just over excited?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said, Surch. I have only kept dogs for 2 months and now think I will always have some around me. They are affectionate, never criticize, always accepting and love me more than I them. What more can we ask for in a friend.

Anyway, as for Laura and Babe's problem, some company may help. When I got my Beagle puppies, I had 2 from the start. I never had any problems with loneliness or attention seeking. They occupy each other until I can spend time with them. Best regards,J

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 4, 2003, 8:33 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] submissive peeing or just over excited?? [In reply to] Can't Post

... And your puppies are such lovely babies ... Smile ...

All the best ...

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 4, 2003, 10:48 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3383 views)
Shortcut

Hi surchinmy, Jay,

I have never felt that she was cramping my lifestyle. She has always been there for me. I love Babe very much. When I came back from overseas, I fought to bring Babe back to Malaysia despite family objection and pressure to give her up. I saved to fly her back and I was willing to move out just to keep Babe despite being broke. Mom was furious. Admittedly, our situation now is not ideal with my work commitments and my mom. But my kid is healthy, still my best friend, and despite of everything, happy to see me when I come back from work. The only thing she wants that I can't give her now is a owner that doesn't have to work long hours during the weekdays. Mom makes things difficult but I am working on giving her something better in the future.

I manja her by spending quality time with her at night or during weekends. I'd groom her, play her fav. games with her, take her out on short trips and just hang out with her. She does ok during the weekends. She is home alone at most 2-3 hrs. It is only the weekdays when she is home alone for longer then 8 hrs that she displays her frantic behavior. All her life, she has never been alone for more than 5 hrs.

After reading up, I think she is experiencing separation anxiety and she has manifested it to submissive peeing and frantic greetings. She has never been alone for 8-9 hrs at a stretch before. Her gradual shift from excited peeing to submissive peeing......she is trying to tell to me that she''ll try to "please" me more if I can just not leave her alone for that long. Unimpressed I think you are right, she can probably sense that I am stressed or uptight about work when I come back. I''ll have to work on that.

I've already tried some solutions, like keeping greetings low keyed. Ignoring her for the first 10 mins after coming back. Givin Babe her fav chew toys to gnaw on during working days. She has the run of the house. I would like to give her the run of the garden but there's no supervision during the day. I am afraid of finding her missing when i come back.

Long term, I'd have to see if I can get her to be more independent and confident being home alone. Another option I am toying with is "day care" provided it would be good for her. I'd probably take a shot at The Latchkey Dog by Jodi Anderson soon. Meanwhile, I'll continue looking at other suitable options and solutions. Smile

Laura & Babe

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 5, 2003, 12:33 AM

Post #8 of 13 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Sounds good ... Babe is obviously loved ... and that is great ...

All the best ... Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Dec 6, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3371 views)
Shortcut

Hey Laura,

you are in the IT line too ? me too... I can definitely understand how u feels exactly as sometimes I only comes home abt 10.30 at night and feel so stress, guilty that my 2 furkid is missing me. But luckily for me even though my mum does not really like dogs she'll do her part in living with them although like ur mum she tends to complain n nags me abt my 2 kiddo but somehow she just gotto tolerate them if she wants me to be around Wink or else she knows I too like u is willing to move out for the sake of our dogs Smile

Somehow someway I know my mum have learned to love my 2 kiddo nowdaysSmile Dont give up... just give it time and good luck ya !

cheers,
minglmy

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 11, 2003, 12:49 AM

Post #10 of 13 (3349 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] submissive peeing or just over excited?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ming Yang,

yup, in IT. Just came back from another deadline. Sigh. Crazy Babe was like a silly mad girl after not seeing me for almost 2 days. Sometimes seeing the way they are sooo happy to see you, you feel glad you have them huh? Smile She can still make me smile sometimes when I come home really blue. Hahaha, looks like both you and I have the same set of problems at home. My mom has a really weird relationship with my dog too.

Thanks for your encouragement. Working @ Babe's issue now. Hopefully, I'll see improvement soon. Smile

Laura & Babe

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Dec 11, 2003, 5:57 PM

Post #11 of 13 (3343 views)
Shortcut

yeah...its feels good seeing them after a hard day at work :) How's Babe doing now ? still as bad or have some improvement adi ? keep it up....

cheers,
minglmy

kitten
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2004, 10:10 PM

Post #12 of 13 (3267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] submissive peeing or just over excited?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Mingyang, sorry to reply so late. Babe is a lot better now. She still does it once in a while but very little. More of being over excited then submissive now.

Laura & Babe

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 28, 2004, 2:41 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3264 views)
Shortcut

that's good news then :)

cheers,
minglmy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my