Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
some questions

pom755
Novice

Nov 29, 2003, 7:50 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1109 views)
Shortcut
some questions Can't Post

I don’t have a dog yet and want to have one but first I have to understand the correct way to potty train the dog ‘cause that’s one of my fears. I’m afraid it might go on the carpet. I heard something about crate training. One of my question is, about the crate, do we let the dog in and actually lock the crate? They say, “free him from the crate to relieve himself”. I’m really confuse about that cause I want my dog to have freedom. Do they mean just for the first few days (weeks, whichever time it’s trained.) then stop locking the crate?

They always say bring the dog outside when you see signs. But are there such things as litter box for dogs? One of my friends own a cat and there’s one for her cat and I’m wondering it apply for dogs too. Even if it has to go out side, what about when it’s raining or snowing? What do we do?

Has anyone have their dogs goes potty on the carpet? Is it really bad? I mean to clean up and everything. Are there anyway to prevent that? In my house, we can go from our backyard through the garage and to the kitchen and there’s a hallway. Those areas do not have carpet and I was thiking of putting up those things (it’s like a small fence on the stairs so babies cannot crawl down stair and hurt themselves) that stop the dog go into the living room (areas that has carpet) until it potty trained. The kitchen is not small including the hallway and I’m thinking of owning a Pomeranian so it won’t be so small of a space for it to play around. Is that ok?My neighbor who owns four dogs and a lot of time I saw the dogs in the backyard and sometime even when it’s raining. Is that a good idea? What can we do if it has to be outside? Provide a doghouse? Can it get cold? There’s a porch so I’m not so worry about it getting wet.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 29, 2003, 9:20 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pom755] some questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Crate Training:
Means to train the pup/dog to treat the crate as their sleeping/resting place ... The ultimate goal is for the the dog to return voluntarily or on command, quite willingly, into the crate when it's time to rest or sleep.

Depending on how the dogs are trained ... the crate may or may not need to be secured ...

House training:
Means training the pup/dog to eliminate in specified areas (and even at specified times) to be decided by the owner ... and not to eliminate all over your home.

Very often crate training and house training go hand in hand and are carried out together, with one supplementing the other.

Suggest that you get a good training manual - A good manual will provide you with all the information you need ... And you are absolutely right - the correct time to learn about crate & house training is BEFORE getting a pup ... well done.

I wouldn't like to be locked out in the rain, and I don't suppose dogs like that much either ... Tongue

We have 4 dogs and they live quite happily with us in the house ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 29, 2003, 9:25 AM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 1, 2003, 2:00 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Crate training can let your dog learn "when to release" and "where to release".
(of course, where to sleep and when to go "in")Wink

U shall not lock him in the crate for too long hours. You may try to lock him in the crate for a period of time (say 1 hour) and then release him for pee-poo.... coz when they are still little pup, their bladder is so small and cant hold themselves for too long. Once they know they are going to be reliease for "relief", you may increase the crate-time so to train them to hold their pee-poo. But, at the same time, the crate should serve as their cozy-resting/sleeping area.
If as u said, wanna have the no-carpet hallway with "fence" to keep ur pom, just make sure that's for the potty-train purpose, but not the place to let him sleep. As for dogs, the resting/sleeping/playing place should not be sharing with the same place as for their pee-poo area. it might end up they dun pee-poo "accordingly", or they just don't eat!

as far as the concern of carpet,
there's a type of handy vacuum to clean liquid dirts. it's quite a good product and really "vacuum" all the liquids, but u need to have the soap to clean the carpet too. So, it's a 2-in-1 kinda product.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

djoecool
Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2003, 6:09 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Hi... can't give you expert advise but I'm sure you can get a variety of manuals in bookshops on house training pups.

I got a JRT pup just 1 mth ago and I didn't put her on crate training initially as I thought I don't want to constraint her to the small space, therefore the crate where she's suppose to sleep wasn't lock. She's free to move around the kitchen and laundry area during the day when I'm off to work. The cleaning up for the 1st week was really tiring... can you imagine that the number of times that I clean the floor during the 1st week of arrival of the pup is more than what I've done for the past one year, but of course luckily it's not carpet. Of course the cleaning reduces over time as I always take her into the toilet where she's suppose to eliminate so I guess she learn that and she will actually eliminate in the toilet. But this doens't end here coz I made a blunder by not putting her on crate training and I was having problem with her during the night where she yelps a lot. I was advised to crate train her so only started that mid of 2nd week and guess what.... she got confused and eliminate in the crate.... even when we are around and she's free to roam even the living room, she'll go back into the crate to eliminate. So now I'll actually close the crate door when she's free to roam so that she won't go back to the crate to eliminate. I've been trying this for the past couple of days and I think so far so good so hopefully this will work. Of still have to be observant coz still need to ask her to go to the toilet when see signs of her wanting to eliminate...normally they'll sniff around the area where they usually eliminates or when accident happens.

But I think ways to house train really depends on how it suits yourself and your pup coz the other fur baby that I have, in the pic (pomeranian x maltese), she's really good coz she was paper trained since a pup so she'll just eliminate on newspapers doesn't matter where we put the newspapers and now she goes out for walk twice a day and that's when she eliminates.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my