Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Holding Dumb Bell

Patricia

Nov 29, 2003, 6:36 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Holding Dumb Bell Can't Post

Hi there

Does anybody know how to train a dog to hold on to a dumbell ? My GR knows retrieving but when she come towards me and before I say 'Give', she drop it on the ground. She understand 'Give' command as she never play tug of war with me.

Pat

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 2, 2003, 12:51 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Patricia] Holding Dumb Bell [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

maybe you'd try to hold the dumbell for ur dog too when he's about to drop it?Not sure whether it'll work but my dog was fine with that.She retrieves her toy whenever i say fetch but never gives back and she'll go back to her place and play with it but what i did was i got hold of her and hold onto her toy and when i say give i'll let go of my hands and the toy drops automatically.It does take alot of time because sometiems she doesn't drop the toy on her own..goodluck.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 3, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Hello, Smile

try teaching your GR the command "hold".Then when he's retrieving, when u anticipate he's abt to drop the dumbell, gv the command "hold" and then "give" when your hand is near enough so it'll drop right into your hands.

Over time you can skip the hold command and he'll naturally hold the dumbell. But i think it's a useful command and should be practised as often as possible..If it were me, i'd just continue using the "hold" command.

Remember to praise your dog loads.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Patricia

Jan 3, 2004, 6:59 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Holding Dumb Bell [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

Thanks for your advice. Ya, I have been told by someone of this tactic as well. Will apply to my girl very soon.

Pat

Patricia

Jan 3, 2004, 7:04 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] Holding Dumb Bell [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

Thanks for the tips given. Amber understands the command "fetch" and "give". I brought her to the beach few days ago, she did her retrieving nicely on the water. Now, need to work on her on the hold.

Pat

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 3, 2004, 8:56 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1023 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

Happy New YearCool

How's your GR doing?

You're welcome. Hope it helps.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2004, 9:12 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Patricia,RealityDreamer] Holding Dumb Bell [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

glad to know that i'd help eventho i thought that the tips that i've given weren't reliable.Now that i've solve half of your problem, maybe u'd help with mine.My second dog Josie is always bitting this and that.She's already into her 7th month and her teeths are fully grown.She's bitting off my dad's bumper which'll cost RM2k and he's pretty furious about it.He bought a muzzle in order to let her stop bitting but u can't expect me to put it on her mouth all the time right?She has two bitting toys to play with and all but she still is bitting alot of un-biteable stuff.Any help.? Chloe ?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my