Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MalsInOz
Novice

Nov 28, 2003, 9:17 PM

Post #1 of 43 (5744 views)
Shortcut
Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training Can't Post

Hi all,

My name's Evan & I train at Brisbane Sporting Dog Club with the 2003 Australian National Champions, Dr Gabi Hoffman & her SchH3/IPO3 GSD "Axel".

I share the Helper work at our club with Mr Reg Worth. Reg is regarded as one of Australias best Helpers.

For the past few months I've been training a 20mth Belgian Shepherd Malinois bitch from Vanrusselhof Kennels, who is looking extremely good and I expect to title her early in the New Year and if all goes well we will compete at SchH 1 or 2 level in next years National Championship on the Gold Coast.

I've also recently purchased a new GSD puppy that I look forward to doing big things with.

I'm really happy to have found this list and to see so many people enthusiastic about this great dogsport!

Congratulations Smile and I hope we can share information and experience.

Regards,

Evan

Booker
Dog Kichi

Nov 28, 2003, 11:21 PM

Post #2 of 43 (5739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MalsInOz] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Evan,nice to meet you and I think your experience in dog training is most valuable if you are willing to share with all the members here.Cool
By the way,do you have any personal email so that I can keep in touch with you? Again,welcome to the forum.Tongue

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2003, 6:51 AM

Post #3 of 43 (5730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MalsInOz] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Evan,

Welcome on board ! Cool

Glad to know U would be sharing ur experience & training tips with us all here ! Wink

Cheers !

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
(GSD Founder - Capt Max V Stephanitz)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 29, 2003, 8:05 AM

Post #4 of 43 (5727 views)
Shortcut

Hello Smile

Welcome. Glad you joined. Hope you can share your knowledge Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 29, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #5 of 43 (5726 views)
Shortcut

Hi Evan,

Good to see you here. OZ has got some very interesting dogs lately. This is good thing and working dog community had started to expand quite well there, congratulations and hope you guys can further that. SchH in Malaysia is at a very infant stage where many many education is needed to create interest and understanding in this sport.

Most welcome you to this forum and perhaps we may meet one day either in Brisbane or elsewhere....Smile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 29, 2003, 6:48 PM

Post #6 of 43 (5714 views)
Shortcut

Belgian Malinois? never seen that breed of dog before.
does she looks like a GSD ?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2003, 8:58 PM

Post #7 of 43 (5709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda,

Well I would say both both Mal & GSD share the same roots, basically the old GSD of yesteryears looks very similar with Mal except maybe for the coat colour ! ! .... Wink , anyway in case U r wondering what is so special abt Mal, they are currently the most sought after breed as a Police K9 !! an excellent working breed this is ....! Smile

BTW I thk your Kinki (Avatar) sure looks like a Malinois to me ! Tongue

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 30, 2003, 4:52 AM

Post #8 of 43 (5705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Amanda,

Malinois or pronounced as "Melon-waa" looks like a GSD except that it is a bit smaller in size. This breed is known for his super high drive and its athleticsm. In an experienced hand he can perform excellently however not something for a normal pet owner.

Azman has one and you can see him if you managed to catch Azman in one of the events.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2003, 4:44 PM

Post #9 of 43 (5698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Polluxx] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot for your explanation.

but kinki size is small.

now her weight is around 14 kg and she can no longer grow any bigger.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2003, 4:49 PM

Post #10 of 43 (5697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

oic.

is Azman a malay?

i thought malays can't have doggie?

Pacco de Mongrel

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2003, 6:07 PM

Post #11 of 43 (5693 views)
Shortcut

Hi,Smile

Was wondering, would you happen to know any breeders of working Dobermanns,Bullmastiffs,Bulldogs/Bandogges,APBT's or Presa Canarios with websites I can take a look at from Aus?

Do you mind posting their kennel's website? Or any other website that may be of interest.

Thanks in advance.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2003, 7:48 PM

Post #12 of 43 (5688 views)
Shortcut

Hi Evan,

Welcome aboard. Do share with us more on the training of the 20 months old Mal.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

MalsInOz
Novice

Nov 30, 2003, 8:06 PM

Post #13 of 43 (5688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello again,

Thank-you for your welcome.

Yes Australia has some very good working GSD blood now from all over EuropeWink. Quality working Malinois are still very rare over here.Frown

I count myself extremely luckyCool to have the Malinois bitch "Vanrusselhof Brianna" (Kaiah) from artificial insemination of "Utamarou des Deux Pottois" X "Bo Les Betulacees", with her lines mainly back to "Elgos de Chemin des Plaines", "Eik des Deux Pottois" and "G'Vitou des Deux Pottois".

My little GSD puppy is line bred 5-5 on Greif zum Lahntal and is out of the new import to Australia - "Fax vom Grenzganger" who came 12th place at the German Schutzhund Championship (SV Bundesseiger) in 2000. Fax lines go back to "Held v Ritterberg", "Ingo v Rudingen" and "Mink v Haus Wittfield". The Dam of my puppy is "Haus Sarek Amber" (Symba) who is from lines back to "Lord v Gleisdreieck" and "Falko v Haus Sindern" "Pascha v Glockeneck" and "Urs aus der Hopfenstrasse".

The Schutzhund sport is still relatively small over here with the National body "Australian United Sportdog Clubs" (AUSC) consisting of approximately 12 affiliated clubs. We are very enthusiastic and hope to grow and increase our overall level of performance.Wink

Regards,

Evan

(This post was edited by MalsInOz on Nov 30, 2003, 8:13 PM)

MalsInOz
Novice

Nov 30, 2003, 8:10 PM

Post #14 of 43 (5687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Real working Doberman breeders are few here but I will get links for youSmile. We do have APBT here but they are now illegal to import, so we will just be working with what we have. I personally don't know any breeders of APBT, Bullmastiff, Bulldog/Bandogge though. There are none doing Schutzhund in our Association either. The Presa is illegal to import to Australia as well and I don't know if there were any bought into the country before the law was in place - I don't think so.

Evan

(This post was edited by MalsInOz on Nov 30, 2003, 8:14 PM)

MalsInOz
Novice

Nov 30, 2003, 8:52 PM

Post #15 of 43 (5682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Hello from Australia - Schutzhund Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boon,

Well I have only had "Kaiah" for about 3 months, she grew up herding dairy cattle but came back to her breeder for various reasons.

I am just working on the basics now - aiming for BH first up in the New Year, then if all goes well Sch 1 some time around March or April before the Australian Nationals in June. I feel this girl has the potential to go a long way, so I will be taking my time on her foundation work to ensure it is precise and strong.

I am very spoilt as she is a very energetic and powerful bitch that brings loads and loads of drive to the work!Cool This makes my task so much easier! Her grip is excellent - always extremely full, hard and calm -this shows me superior genetics as this girl did not get any foundation work done for biting. If anything, until she came to live with me biting was a no, no!Frown Her protection work is very intense and powerful too!

My introduction to SchH was with my big Rottie boy, but he did not really have enough drive and anyway, he is a lover not a fighter!!Wink

So now I am really enjoying my training so much, I train at our club 2 times a week and at home, very short, sharp sessions (5-10 minutes) one to three times a day.

Now I have to start tracking with her too, she LOVES her food so I'm hoping it will go well!

Evan

boon
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2003, 11:09 PM

Post #16 of 43 (5679 views)
Shortcut

Hi Evan,

Thanz for sharing and i guess u must be very enjoying having Kaiah with u. Do tell us more about her progress and wish u and Kaiah success in her trial.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2003, 3:37 AM

Post #17 of 43 (5674 views)
Shortcut

Hi Evan,

If I m not mistaken, ScH is not encouraged or sanctioned by ur country kennel club ! Unsure so I was wondering maybe U can share with us here on how did U folks build up ur club and promote the interest in ScH , maybe we over here can learn a thing or two from U folks to improve the working scene in our country ! Tongue

Quote:---------------------------------------------------
My little GSD puppy is line bred 5-5 on Greif zum Lahntal .
------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, one of our board member, PSD got a GSD bitch who is 6-6 on Greif thru Mink !. . . . while I happened to own a young dog wt lines back to Lord, Urs, Falko & Pascha...! Wink . . . . unfortunately there is no ScH club here to guide my training wt him ! Unsure

Anyway all the best to AUSC ! keep up the good work ! ! Cool

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 1, 2003, 4:06 AM

Post #18 of 43 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Hello Smile

Thanks in advance. You could post them here or send them to me via e-mail.

My e-mail adds are reality69dreamer@yahoo.com and reality_dreamer69@hotmail.com.

*sigh* It's sad that such wonderful breeds are banned because of some irresponsible owners. Unsure

BTW, thanks for sharing with us Kaiah's training so far. Do update us on her progress. Good luck and all the best in her upcoming competitions/trials. Cool
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 1, 2003, 4:08 AM

Post #19 of 43 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Amanda,

That you have to ask Azman himself.....kekeke. I was plesantly suprised too when I knew tht...lolSmile

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 1, 2003, 4:20 AM

Post #20 of 43 (5667 views)
Shortcut

Evans,

Yup someone told me about Fax going into OZ couple of months ago. Is Fax owned by you? I heard you guys in Brisbane are pretty active which is good news. It is thru SchH that such wonderful dog can be tested to see if they are geneticly superior. We hope something can come about here in Malaysia. Grief Lahntal is a super dog indeed. How is the puppy's drive so far?

Glad to have you here sharing your experience.

PSD

MalsInOz
Novice

Dec 1, 2003, 4:46 AM

Post #21 of 43 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Hey PSD,

No Fax is not owned by me, but by the Kollenbergs (kennel "von Norden Stamm") on the Gold Coast. I get to see him work on a reasonably regular basis as I sometimes train at the Gold Coast Club and we also have one night a month where all three local clubs get together and train. I haven't had the oppurtunity to work Fax myself yet, but hopefully that day will come. Reg has worked him a few times and was very impressed by his intensity and extreme bite power.

Yes, schutzhund is a great place to show exctly what a dog has got, sure some not so great dogs get through, but it is very easy and exciting to spot a really good dog, regardless of what points score they get!

My puppy's drives are very good, I am impressed so far, though she is very active, she is not constantly high in drive but will switch very quickly when the oppurtunity presents itself! Her speed, grip, coordination and focus when in drive are excellent. She also has very solid nerves, near nothing phases her and she won't be pushed around either which is really funny to watch in a 10 week old puppy!! I'm looking forward to her coming on as I have worked both her dam and her dams litter sister (who is in our club) a lot and they are both outstanding dogs, very fast, hard hitting and intense. That combination with Fax is why I chose her litter instead of one of the other Fax litters.

Evan

MalsInOz
Novice

Dec 1, 2003, 4:57 AM

Post #22 of 43 (5660 views)
Shortcut

Dennis at Aachen Kennels in Western Australia is very knowledgable with working line Doberman and GSD from Europe. He also has imported working Doberman and GSD lines

http://www.aachenkennels.com/

Vonforell Kennels have Doberman also but it looks like their site is down.Frown

http://www.vonforell.com

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 1, 2003, 5:11 AM

Post #23 of 43 (5659 views)
Shortcut

Evans,

Looks like a great puppy you had there. At 10 weeks if the drives is as you describe surely is a wonder dog. I'm sure you are a very proud owner indeed.

I agreed with you when you see a real dog it never gets out of the mind. Scoring could mean a lot of things related to the handler or trainer's level. But the commitment of the dog is what can differentiate them from the rest.

Do you know of Warkos Anrebri? n Dark Gaja-Nova? They are now in OZ.

PSD

MalsInOz
Novice

Dec 1, 2003, 5:46 AM

Post #24 of 43 (5655 views)
Shortcut

PSD,

yes the pup is very nice, but when I say excellent etc. I am talking about a ten week old puppy excellent! You know what I mean. Wink

..."Warkos Anrebri? n Dark Gaja-Nova?"...

I can't say I've heard of these two. Do you know which kennels they went to?

..."I agreed with you when you see a real dog it never gets out of the mind. Scoring could mean a lot of things related to the handler or trainer's level. But the commitment of the dog is what can differentiate them from the rest."...

This is why I wish more security people who import very good quality titled dogs, especially the Czech & DDR lines, would get involved in our sport. No one will mind if they don't get top points, but we will be able to see the qualities of their dogs anyway and that is the important thing.

Evan

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 1, 2003, 6:18 AM

Post #25 of 43 (5647 views)
Shortcut

Evans,

yes the pup is very nice, but when I say excellent etc. I am talking about a ten week old puppy excellent! You know what I mean. Wink

Yup...I know what u meanSmile

About Dark and Warkos, i dont have their info off hand however the should be somewhere south from you. Either in Sydney or Melbourne. Flinks worked these 2 dogs during one of his seminar in OZ. Both are Czech n very serious dog as I heard.

Well in General, Czech programs are sprung from military background and not sports development as German dogs are which is higher in prey and lesser in defense and evidently, a suspect in having much real fight drives in a wide percentage of german dogs. This is a generalised observation and there are still great dogs around in Germany. Many of the czech dogs are on the other hand more civil and works more in defense overpowering the prey. This may be the reason they are not natural point dog in sports. Anyway, these are only generalisations and there are always exceptions. I guess nothing beats looking with our own 2 eyes.

If my understanding is correct, The pure securities people not necessary got the best dogs in. In OZ, there are plenty which uses the old victorian lines which is basicly some showdogs blood in their mix with working lines so you get plenty of mixtures here. Not really my cup of tea. Furthermore, security dogs are more desired for their civil aggression and higher defensive drives. So their standards of selection may not be the same as what we look for in SchH. In other words, they would not do very well in "Sport Stress" if you get what I mean.

One of the famous security dogs in OZ is "Security Pekahia". Do u know this dog?

PSD

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my