First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

j9yne

Mar 1, 2004, 2:12 AM

Post #26 of 31 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,

thanks for ur advice.Smile

i keep him in the cage for not more than 4 hours at a stretch. because i've read in the books that it is the maximum time. so i take him out for his exercise and let him run around.

i think i shall find a suitable place for his "toilet". will our own toilet be a suitable spot? or should the place be a dry spot? i've tried the housebreaking aids before. but he's more interested in chewing the newspaper than to smell and do his business.Tongue

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 5:31 AM

Post #27 of 31 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j9yne] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Your toilet is fine ... as long as the pup has a place (other than the crate) to eliminate ... and there is much more to housetraining than just laying down newspaper ...

And seriously seriously ... it is very difficult to learn ALL that you need to know about housetraining a pup from a forum ...

It is much easier (and to my mind, it is preferable) to get a good training book/manual ... Read the training book, apply the technique/method ... and when you have specific difficulties or you are not sure about something ... then refer to the forum.

The training book/manual will teach you the basic foundation, knowledge & understanding of housetraining ... the forum can help you with alternatives and suggestions ...

Cheers Smile

j9yne

Mar 2, 2004, 3:06 AM

Post #28 of 31 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

i do have a training book. i think it's quite good. as some of the tricks worked eg i managed to teach him to keep quiet and the meaning of "no". so i'm learning housetraining too. Wink

after realizing that the house breaking aids doesn't really work on him, i dropped a few drops of his own pee on the newspaper. the problem is he likes to lie on or near the newspaperCrazy. i wonder if the scent of his pee gives him some sense of security? he did pee near the newspaper, out of it though. but it's better than nothing rite?Laugh after all it's just the begining.

i'll try to learn as much as i can from the book and from this forum. thanks again Wink

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 6:03 AM

Post #29 of 31 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j9yne] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Good ... glad that you have a training book ...

You posted: "... the problem is he likes to lie on or near the newspaperCrazy ..."

Okay ... Am sure your training manual will have told you that you are supposed to supervise your pup consistently during housetraining ...

Put your pup to the newspaper after every meal 'cos that is when they are likely to eliminate ... and also, everytime you see the pup about to pee or poop ... you are supposed to get your pup immediately ON the newspaper - carry the pup there, if you have to ...

Now ... Always have a treat ready in your hands or pocket ... after the pup eliminates ... immediately pull out your treat ... praise your pup in a high cheerful tone ... and call your pup to you (and away from the newspaper) ... then give the treat ...

Repeat and repeat ... and soon the pup will eliminate on the paper ... and move away ...

Check the threads under "treats" and "jackpot" ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 2, 2004, 6:42 AM)

Kikky
New User

Mar 5, 2004, 10:34 PM

Post #30 of 31 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meiyoong] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

I just newly registered myself in this web. I am kind of in the same boat as you are. When i bought my male puppy chihuahua, i was told by the petshop staff that male dog can either pee like a female without taking their leg up or they will. But frankly speaking, hardly see male dog pee like female at all !! Netiher male dog can be paper train also... they will end up tearing the papers. So, taking them to the garden is a good idea to pee.

Earlier on, I used dettol to clean up the smell of urine especially when my dog pee at the corners of the wall often. But, recently I switched to using GERMISEP recommended by petshop in SS2, more effective getting rid of pee smell and germs. It is in tablet form and economical, cheap !!

So, you can try that.

Good Luck.

Ellietan
Novice

Apr 17, 2004, 7:05 PM

Post #31 of 31 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kikky] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

My male shih tzu (namely BoBo) sometimes lift up his leg to pee, sometimes he does not lift up his leg..Crazy I think sometimes male dog pee without lifting their leg up too, I suppose to lift up his leg or not to lift up his leg is depending on his mood. Bobo would normally pee on the fence, if he was locked up in my house, he simply pee on the corner too! and another favourable place to pee in my house is my parents toilet, my mom complaint that he pee somewhere in the toilet Sly. I did not train him to pee in toilet before, maybe because the toilet has got urine smell and he mark it as his territory?!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my