Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Bad Peeing Behaviour

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

meiyoong

Nov 24, 2003, 7:17 AM

Post #1 of 31 (4632 views)
Shortcut
Bad Peeing Behaviour Can't Post

I have a shih tzu which aged around 8 months old. when he was puppy he was already well toilet trained by me. But as he grows older he began to change the way he pee. He starting to lift one of his leg up while pee. I know it is normal for male dog to lift their leg while pee but now he won't pee at his toilet.He now used to corner he like.I dun't know how to train him.Please help!

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 24, 2003, 9:39 PM

Post #2 of 31 (4623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meiyoong] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

i think he's being territorial...and peeing everywhere means he's telling other dogs that this is his place by living his marks there.... i guess you could try to praise him when he does pees at the correct place and ignore him when he doesn't.....just clean up the place with plain bleach so that there won't be any of his urine smell there..

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

Kowpa

Nov 24, 2003, 11:10 PM

Post #3 of 31 (4620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i think he's being territorial...and peeing everywhere means he's telling other dogs that this is his place by living his marks there.... i guess you could try to praise him when he does pees at the correct place and ignore him when he doesn't.....just clean up the place with plain bleach so that there won't be any of his urine smell there..

The significance of canine urine marking isn't completely clear. An urge to communicate appears to be associated with the activity, but the meaning and purpose of the urine marking isn't known. A common belief is that marking serves a territorial function in dogs, but this theory hasn't been proven. Another opinion is that dogs use urine marking to indicate that they've recently travelled in some area. Another theory suggests that dogs urine mark to make the environment more familiar and secure.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 26, 2003, 7:42 PM

Post #4 of 31 (4603 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Looks like you may have to retrain your dog ... As you say leg lifting is normal for a male ... and it's practically inevitable ...

Training a male dog to lift & pee in a specific "spot" can be very difficult ... it much easier to train a male dog to lift within a specified area (say, a certain part of the garden, where he is allowed to lift and won't make too much of a mess) ... Alternatively, train the dog to relieve itself during walks ...

Cheers Smile

Kowpa

Nov 26, 2003, 8:26 PM

Post #5 of 31 (4601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi ...

Looks like you may have to retrain your dog ... As you say leg lifting is normal for a male ... and it's practically inevitable ...

Training a male dog to lift & pee in a specific "spot" can be very difficult ... it much easier to train a male dog to lift within a specified area (say, a certain part of the garden, where he is allowed to lift and won't make too much of a mess) ... Alternatively, train the dog to relieve itself during walks ...

Cheers Smile

Is not difficult if you know the trick Now try this one get a cloth gether some one dog urine tie it to the place you want your dog to lift his leg when the dog smelland lift his leg great praise and do it consistently

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 27, 2003, 8:24 AM

Post #6 of 31 (4589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa, meiyoong] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Thanks for the suggestion ... but it's not me you have to convince ... you'll have to persuade meiyoong that it's not "difficult" collecting pee from another dog (presumably another male) ... and repeating the procedure until her dog is trained ...

Have fun meiyoong & remember to wash your hands when you are done ...

Cheers all Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 27, 2003, 8:29 AM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 29, 2003, 2:38 AM

Post #7 of 31 (4568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

i think marking is indeed a territorial thingy for dogs. they are very interested when they find a scent and most male dogs would pee right on the old scent after sniffing it for a while. it's like covering up the other dog's scent with his own smell. i've read that dogs can tell alot of another dog just by sniffing the urine. they'll know if it's a dominat dog, a male or female, etc..

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

pootato
New User

Dec 8, 2003, 5:26 AM

Post #8 of 31 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Yeah... I have the same problem too..but it pees on my cactus..CrazyAfter peeing he will lie down beside the cactus...like the cactus is his good friend..Crazy

CheersWink

caprice2
Novice

Dec 10, 2003, 1:06 AM

Post #9 of 31 (4521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...

i thought my jojo fully housetrained until he started to do his stuff on my bed...he is 1yr 2mths+-. Usually he can has access on all the rooms except for the bedroom. He knows the bedroom is offlimit & 'll do as much "damage" as possible if got the chance.

Kowpa

Dec 10, 2003, 8:27 AM

Post #10 of 31 (4516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i think marking is indeed a territorial thingy for dogs. they are very interested when they find a scent and most male dogs would pee right on the old scent after sniffing it for a while. it's like covering up the other dog's scent with his own smell. i've read that dogs can tell alot of another dog just by sniffing the urine. they'll know if it's a dominat dog, a male or female, etc..

That is what the books say but no sciencetific proof yet. So we have to find the answers from these ppl Otto Tinklepaugh, Edward C. Thorndike, Ivan Pavlov and Robert Rescoria.

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2004, 10:17 PM

Post #11 of 31 (4404 views)
Shortcut

hi...

i've got this peeing issue with popeye... i used to keep him in the garden, so he's used to peeing/pooing by the plants.. now i keep all 3 dogs in the garage. There is also a corner where there's sand, plant, trees.
But popeye is peeing/pooing all over the car's tyres.. sometimes in the middle of the driveway...wherever he feels like it..

could it be tat all the planted areas r dominated by another dog's scent, hence he resorts to 'new' territories of his own??

he pees on all cars except my bf's (cos he was caught in action once n warned)... do i have to catch him in action on all other cars???
CrazyCrazy

tried to wash out with vinegar.. seems he still does it leh..

any suggestions?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 11, 2004, 10:34 PM

Post #12 of 31 (4401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

When you change a dog's usual pee/poop routine ... you have to expect all sorts of things happening ... Tongue ... This is really not the dog's fault.

Looks like you will need to carry out your housetraining again ... Remember not to reprimand when trying to housetrain ... Check the threads for suggestions on how to housetrain a dog.

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 11, 2004, 11:28 PM)

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2004, 11:24 PM

Post #13 of 31 (4399 views)
Shortcut

sighh... i shall try....

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 11, 2004, 11:28 PM

Post #14 of 31 (4397 views)
Shortcut

Ah ... it's not so bad ... keep spirits up ... or let Popeye go back to his usual routine ...

Cheers Smile

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2004, 11:37 PM

Post #15 of 31 (4396 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I have been observing my Sparky during walks. It looks like car tyres are as good as trees to him, besides road kerbs and corners. Maybe I can put an old tyre at the drain as a toilet sign. Just joking, cheer up. Best regards,J

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2004, 11:50 PM

Post #16 of 31 (4394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

haahahaaa... ya hoh...actually, maybe if i put some spare tyres at the corner.. make it his pee pee place.. hahaha

now it seems we have resorted to parking outside.. hehee..
maybe it was his plan to get rid of the bulky machines so he has the space alll to himself!!!

hehehee

i shall try to retoilet train him. i'm sure he will be fine... Wink
tx for cheering me.. hahaha

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2004, 11:52 PM

Post #17 of 31 (4393 views)
Shortcut

hehee..maybe i need to have more green stuff..so he will feel like i've shifted his toilet for him.. heeheheee..

only thing is the plants dont last too long cos his nrother harvey's pee pee very powerful wan...PiratePirate
heheee

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 11, 2004, 11:59 PM

Post #18 of 31 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Surround the plants that the dogs like to use as scent post with a fence (can be just wire mesh) ... the dogs will then pee along the fence you have placed and not directly on the plants ... And everyday, spray plenty of water along the fence or pee spots ... hopefully that will save your plants from the powerful dogs ... Tongue

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2004, 12:11 AM

Post #19 of 31 (4388 views)
Shortcut

fence??? hmm.. tats a good idea.. but wont the pee get there too? (All males leh.. can 'spray' kinda far sometimes... n if too far away, they wont even bother... i have got some big rock.. seems to do the trick orite oso...

ya.. just have to water plants more n wash away la..

say.. wat r ur furkids' name?? cant seem to find in thread... too many liao... heheee

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 12, 2004, 2:56 AM

Post #20 of 31 (4384 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Adjust the distance of fence from the plant so that the dogs still use the same spot ... Or use the rock ... that is good idea too ...

Our dogs are called ... Sunday ... Happy ... MaeMae ... SunSun ... Blesing ...

and on a temporary basis ... the others are called ... Father dog ... Mother dog ... Fay-Chai ... Brownie ... Skinny ... Jack Russel ...

And ... don't ask me why or how come got so many dogs ... and what "temporary basis" means ... TongueBlushShockedLaughCrazy ... because I also don't know how or why *big laughs* ... and ... the story is far too long to tell in this forum ...

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 12, 2004, 3:04 AM)

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2004, 8:27 PM

Post #21 of 31 (4379 views)
Shortcut

LOL LaughLaugh

I'm sure *Father dog ... Mother dog ... Fay-Chai ... Brownie ... Skinny ... Jack Russel* ar very happy to have u to jaga n psycho them.. kakaka

How come if u have Sunday, u didn t proceed with Monday, Tuesday, etc....??? haaha.. tat wld be nice too Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 12, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #22 of 31 (4378 views)
Shortcut

*Tongue* ... Sunday is supposed to be Child of Rest ... so enough mar ... next would be "Monday Blues" ... errr ... no need lar ... *laughs* ...

Cheers ...

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2004, 10:18 PM

Post #23 of 31 (4373 views)
Shortcut

wow.. tats a good idea... monday blue...tiny tuesday...white wednesday...tinkle thursday...friendly friday...special saturday???

LaughLaughSly

j9yne

Feb 29, 2004, 7:22 PM

Post #24 of 31 (4336 views)
Shortcut

hi,

since this thread mentioned about changing pee and poo spots, i've some questions to askTongue

my puppy currently pees and poos in his cage. this is because i am not staying alone, but with housemates. thus i don't let him roam around the house, only my room when i'm home. when i go out, i'll leave him in the cage. so he will poo and pee in the cage. what i want to ask is, if i move to a new place next time, say 1 or 2 years from now, will it be too late to housebreak him again? as in, train him to pee and poo in a new spot.

thanks Wink

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 29, 2004, 11:53 PM

Post #25 of 31 (4329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j9yne] Bad Peeing Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

I don't think you have a good arrangement for your pup ...

A pup needs to eliminate several times a day ... and it is a pup/dog's natural instinct not to eliminate where they sleep/rest ... This is a good instinct because its keeps the dog clean ... and helps prevent the habit of poop eating ...

(A) By confining your pup in a crate and forcing it to eliminate in the crate ... you are (a) ... "destroying" the good instinct ... and (b) creating bad habit ... which is going to make proper housetraining very difficult later on ... Habits (good & bad) acquired & learnt as a pup can get very ingrained and make for very difficult reconditioning ...

(B) You don't say how long your pup is confined everyday ... a pup needs space, exercise and play ... Please realise that long periods of confinement will also create problems for your pup ... from poor bone & skeletal development to anxiety ...

I seriously suggest ... you search the forum for (a) crate-training ... (b) housetraining ... (c) ... care for pups ...

And get youself a good book/manual on how to look after a pup ... A pup needs more than just 2 meals a day ...

You already have a pup ... you need to learn all you can NOW ... not tomorrow or next week ... your pup is going to grow whether you are ready or not ...

Cheers Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my