IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Soft poo poo....

Twenko

Nov 22, 2003, 5:05 AM

Post #1 of 6 (918 views)
Shortcut
Soft poo poo.... Can't Post

Unsure Don't know what's wrong lah.... I used to feed my Abby with Pedigree canned food and Purina puppy food. When my brother bought Chelsea, he bought a huge bag of Royal Canine and tells us to feed it to Abby as well.

Before that, Abby's poo poo was penciled shape and quite solid though not hard. Chelsea's poo was on the soft side, like melted ice-cream.

Then after eating Royal Canine kibbles for a few days, Abby starts to poo as if got diarrheoa like that. A few days ago was even worse. Her poo -burst- out like water cannon.

Can it be the change of diet or is Royal Canine kibbles cause soft poo poo? Just want to know.

Though she poo poo like that, Abby doesn't seem to be weak or anything but very robust as usual. However, Chelsea is not following her usual food schedule. Won't eat the kibbles for two days. My dad now feeds her with canned food...

Unsure Help?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

My beloved furkids :
Abby, the Lickin' Champ - 7 months, Dober-Rott
Chelsea, the Eating Champ - 6 months, G.R
Jane, the Jumpin' Champ - 8 months, Shih Tzu

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 22, 2003, 6:43 AM

Post #2 of 6 (914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Twenko] Soft poo poo.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tweeko,

I suspected the change of food to be the case unless he eats something else. Usually when we want to change diet we will do it gradually. Meaning to mix small amount of new food with larger amount of old food. Then slowly increase the new food composition. The system will then be allowed time adjust to the new food which may consist something that he is is now used to.

I suggest you buy a small packet of the old food and feed again then slowly mix as above. If the stool hardened again then it proved the food to be the reason.

Although the dog does not exhibit being weak, better not take any chances.

BTW, what brand of food was Chelsea used to eating before your brother bought her?

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

meiyoong

Nov 22, 2003, 6:59 AM

Post #3 of 6 (913 views)
Shortcut

Dear Twenko,

I think u should not suddenly change the dog food. If u intend want to change the bran , u must mix slowly the new dog food with old brand dog food. Maybe Abby's stomach is not used to sudden change of his food.If the poo still soft i think u should bring it to vet.

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Nov 22, 2003, 7:47 AM

Post #4 of 6 (912 views)
Shortcut

Dear Twenko,

How old is Abby? If he is still a puppy, then PSD is right.. adult dogs are usually more receptive to change of food but not puppies.

Anyway, to harden the stools again, you can try feeding him steam chicken breast. Salsa used to have that problem and I learned this trick from a vet. Wink Steam chicken breast can harden the stools.

Hope it helped you.
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

Twenko

Nov 25, 2003, 6:51 AM

Post #5 of 6 (895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Soft poo poo.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now Abby's food has been changed to Royal Canine. Her poo's back to normal already, though sometimes it's a little soft but not as bad as before. Abby is now about 3 1/2 months old.

Chelsea's been fed Royal Canine by her previous owner. Since Chelsea's at my place, she rebeled and quit eating HER kibbles, optioning to wait and starve herself till my dad feeds her with canned food.

She seems to be sick of her old food. She loves to eat Purina though. Both dogs terbalik. Always eating each other's food.

~ Twenko

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

My beloved furkids :
Abby, the Lickin' Champ - 7 months, Dober-Rott
Chelsea, the Eating Champ - 6 months, G.R
Jane, the Jumpin' Champ - 8 months, Shih Tzu

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 25, 2003, 9:56 AM

Post #6 of 6 (891 views)
Shortcut

Twenko,

Smile Curiosity maybe....lol... Anyway, have you seen BARF revisited? There are some tips there about natural diet and also talk about food that can harden or soften the stool. Since your puppy is just starting out 3 mths plus, it will be an interesting option for your consideration.

About your stool problem, guessed you had discovered the cause already. Just mix the food for both of them and slowly change them to what ever brand you decide. Sounded like they should be ok.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my