mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 7:49 AM

Post #26 of 46 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [earth.goddess] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

2) Lavender and tea tree dry bath every other day

can please elaborate on how to prepare such a bathing method??

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

earth.goddess
Novice

Jan 14, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #27 of 46 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello

Just a small bucket of warm water. Add a few drops of lavender and tea treee oil (not more thn 6 drops in total). Soak a towel a while, wring it half dry, then wipe yr baby...

After tht, u can make a more concentrated spray made of the same ingredients above, in a spray bottle. Spray them every other day, avoiding the usual eyes, mouth and ears. If the ticks bite left a red patch on yr baby, wet a cotton pad and press dry. Add one drop of lav and t3 each, spread and just dab it on the skin for a while.

The lavender is meant to soothe and relax the skin and pet, while t3 is antiseptic...

:) Hope this works well for you as it is for me..
~Earth Goddess~
If yr dog thinks you are the best, dun bother seeking second opinion :)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 8:24 AM

Post #28 of 46 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Oh Thanks,
I'm actually looking for a t3 products for dog which is currently not available... so i'm going to get a t3 oil product from pharmacy tomorrow. Where can i get the lavender extract ? from those skin care/aromatheraphy shop??

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 14, 2004, 9:41 PM

Post #29 of 46 (1931 views)
Shortcut

Ok, glad to hear your ticks situation has stabilised. Hope you can solve the compound part after the pest treatment and renovation. Best regards,J

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 8:13 PM

Post #30 of 46 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi people ...

Ticks and fleas are tough little creatures and can put up with a huge amount of abuse and still reappear ...

Topical applications such as Frontline ... are useful for helping (a) prevent ticks from getting on to our dogs, and (b) helping kill the ticks already on our dogs ... But topical applications will not on their own solve the tick or flea problem, if the yard or house where the dogs live is infested with the parasites ...

Also note that Frontline is a poison ... and must be used with care ... as with all such treatment (including tick/flea collars), I wonder with prolonged use - what long term or side effects might be ... Crazy

So unless we tackle the problem in a more complete manner ... the ticks and feas will continually reappear and re-infest our dogs everytime treatments such as Frontline wears off ... If we wish to effectively deal with ticks & fleas ... we need to break the life cycle of these parasites ... And then we need to keep our house & yard as free of the ticks and fleas as we can ...

Full house and yard fumigation may be necessary for chronic cases, and then apply an oil based insecticide along the outside of the house to help prevent fresh reinfestation ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 15, 2004, 8:15 PM)

earth.goddess
Novice

Jan 17, 2004, 5:31 AM

Post #31 of 46 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Yepp, I use the essential oil made for human... :))

Dun use too much tho, or the strong smell can scare yr pet away ;)
~Earth Goddess~
If yr dog thinks you are the best, dun bother seeking second opinion :)

xyne
Doggyman

Jan 30, 2004, 7:51 PM

Post #32 of 46 (1895 views)
Shortcut

my 3 dogs had endless fleas n ticks on them,,,even when i tried the frontliner..it wouldnt work after awhile..

I found out that it is because my garden is alos full of ticks...
I bought a solution form a pet shop..it was cheap. Dilute it n spray on all corners of the walls. (keeping dogs away until dried)

Now my babies dont even need frontliner.. =)

chilimson

Feb 1, 2004, 4:15 AM

Post #33 of 46 (1886 views)
Shortcut

I have been using Frontline very successful, and I do not recommend the spray type. Bathe you dog or puppy and use the spot on per the instruction given. Do not bather or let the dog/puppy get into wet for about a week. I do spray common insectidice on the places that the dog/puppy rest, just in case there are eggs that will not be "killed" by the spot on. Garlic is always part of the meal I give to my dogs, and some amount of apple cider.

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 9:38 AM

Post #34 of 46 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Amy,

which solution u got from petshop? i need to get one too!

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 6:18 PM

Post #35 of 46 (1870 views)
Shortcut

there's no name for the solution wohh... it came in a bottle tat looked like a big cough syrup u get from clinics... it's about 9bucks, to be diluted.

I got it from a shop in SS2, PJ... the one on the same row as Poh Kong. The nice lady will recommend to you and tell u precautions n instructions... ( can i mention pet shop name here in da forum??? )

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 6:23 PM

Post #36 of 46 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, thanks. I think i know which petshop is that...Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 4, 2004, 6:45 PM

Post #37 of 46 (1867 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ying,

This CNY we brought Sparkle back to Sban and he was terrible infested with ticks! His paws, ears, body, tail....damn gross ler. Me and Tyler spent two nites picking them out. I dunno if that's the best way to do it or not. We prepared a bowl of dettol solution and we would put each tick we picked out into the solution. At the end of it...looks like millions and millions of ticks in a bowl *ewww*

Then I used a mild dettol solution to wash his paws and the areas affected by the ticks. And it works...no more ticks till now and we still check everyday, just in case Smile

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 6:48 PM

Post #38 of 46 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah...i know what you mean. i have a glass with the dettol solution all the time. but never try to apply the solution on the dogs. works well?? then i should let them try too..... coz i thought it might be poisonous.... worry if my dogs will lick the solution off when licking their paws.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 4, 2004, 7:01 PM

Post #39 of 46 (1864 views)
Shortcut

well i make it a very mild solution...and after I take the tick off an area I'll use facial cotton dipped in the solution to wipe that area. hehee I was just hoping to wipe off anything dirty and to disinfect and kill (if any) the tiny eggs.

You have a point there but Sparkle didn't lick...maybe it's the smell that turned him off. As for his paws, I actually dipped the whole paw in the mild solution and then let it stay for awhile. Then I rinsed off.

I'm not sure if this is the best way but it sure got rid of all the ticks. Maybe some more experienced forumers can give some comments?? aiyo if dettol is too poisonous then Sparkle habis la...kekekeke Tongue

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Feb 7, 2004, 6:16 PM

Post #40 of 46 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Hey Michelle,

I read in the forum once, to dilute dettol with warm water, and then rinse our furkid, leave it for a while, wash off and then wash with normal shampoo again. Apparently, it does kill the ticks and keep them away. Well, I have been practising that for quite some time now and everything seemed to be ok until after CNY. I think Salsa went out too much and had terrible flea/tick bites that made her tail sore. Well, I am back at using frontliner again (it's been a while since the dettol method), so I hope they will go away.

Did you dye sparkle black??? or did you get a new puppy?
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 12:07 AM

Post #41 of 46 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gerry!! Smile

wah haven't seen u for sometime in the forum! Yah the dettol plus me and Tyler diligently picking out kutu has helped...we still check everyday but touch wood so far found nothing. heheh

ahahaha no Sparkle is white in colour...that's SCRUFFY, Sparkle's new meimei. Wink You can see a bigger picture of her in the 'Me & My Dog' thread Cool

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 9, 2004, 8:43 AM

Post #42 of 46 (1833 views)
Shortcut

I just found many "tiny black moving dots" from Bean!Shocked Usually if found any tick on Bean, it would be the small red ticks. But this time i saw those like dust type. very little tiny ticks, or are they fleas?? i dunno why suddenly there's so much on him. mainly under his paws and most of the times.... dropped on my bed!!! (becoz he sleeps with me). I've cleaned my whole room and changed the bed sheet. Use Dettol solution to KILL the ticks, and sprayed Frontline to his paws and on his back. and keep picking up the ticks..... isolating him from my old dog (who never seem to be tick-freeUnsure).

hai... susah..... i really hate ticks!!! Pirate

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 7:43 PM

Post #43 of 46 (1829 views)
Shortcut

ohh poor thing Frown Good thing you noticed earlier...so now u can look out and can try to remove everything. Maybe for his paws you can try what I did...make a very mild dettol solution, then soak the whole paw into the solution. Leave it on for awhile and then rinse. The paws and tail and EARS have a lot of ticks especially. Have you check Bean's ears ah? Hopefully not that bad la...

But dun u think u should stop sleeping with Bean for awhile? I'm actually wondering if those ticks can affect us humans as well...Crazy What do u think??

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 9, 2004, 7:50 PM

Post #44 of 46 (1828 views)
Shortcut

last night,
i found many dead ticks on my bed.
good or bad? i see it as GOOD loh....
ok, will sure try to dip his paws in the dettol solution. by the way....
can no longer crate him at night, he HOWLS!!
and i cannot sleep alone too~Tongue

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 8:03 PM

Post #45 of 46 (1826 views)
Shortcut

dead ticks I dunno leh..but what about the ones still on his body? Can affect you or not?

Maybe he can sleep on the floor on a mat next to your bed? at least until the tick problem goes off...unless the doggies ticks dun affect humans la...hehe

Tell u something...that time when Ty and I were picking ticks out for Sparkle maybe it was a reaction to seeing so many creepy crawlies...our heads also started to feel itchy....ahahahah LaughLaugh

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 22, 2004, 9:49 AM

Post #46 of 46 (1795 views)
Shortcut

I don't know whether this help but I used Frontline Spot On and until now my dogs has no flea or tick even there are stray dogs around.. Maybe once awhile there will be one or two... But I also did a very bad thing.. Not walking them anymore... And this helps.. until now I don't see them with anymore ticks and fleas... I have a friend whol told me to spray the compound with the same solution you using (white color one)... Aiya forgot the name... Ahhh.. Anyway, I don't think I am any help huh? Fiona

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my