First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

earth.goddess
Novice

Nov 21, 2003, 9:19 AM

Post #1 of 46 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Any help with ticks and fleas? Can't Post

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with ticks n fleas on my dogs.. just happen recently. Was told tht this happens when the weather is real hot. How true is tht?

But my main concern is how do i get rid of them once and for all? Any preventive / cure measures?

Would really appreciate all feedbacks... :)

Cheers,

Earth Goddess
~Earth Goddess~
If yr dog thinks you are the best, dun bother seeking second opinion :)

alyn
Novice

Nov 21, 2003, 7:28 PM

Post #2 of 46 (2235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [earth.goddess] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ticks and fleas don't just "happen" when the weather is hot, although living in tropical weather does encourage these bugs to reproduce faster. These are external parasites and your dog would have had to come in contact with an element that was infested. It could be a simple thing like a walk in the park (ticks and fleas are notorious for hiding in blades of grass and then hopping on to a suitable host, i.e. dogs / cats) or contact with another infected host. You can get rid of ticks pretty easily although I would advise you do this fast since you don't want your dog contracting any tick related diseases. Fleas are a different matter altogether. These buggers are quite difficult to eradicate and your home could have a flea infestation by now, so any topical treatment on your dog is not enough. You have to de-flea your whole house!

I've taken several excerpts from animalpetdoctor :

Fleas

Fleas, of course, are aggravating little insects that carry disease, frequently cause intense skin reactions and allergies in our pets, and can be extremely difficult to control. Although, the newer flea products are working so well that most flea problems are now fairly easy to control. This is simplified, but the important things to know about fleas is that each flea can lay hundreds of eggs. Fleas like to lay their eggs on damp ground or in cracks and crevices. They prefer to lay eggs when the humidity is high and the temperature is 65-80 F (typical of most US homes) . Adult fleas can live up to two months off a pet and up to year on a pet. The eggs hatch in 2-12 days into tiny larvae. The larvae live in your house and yard and eat dust and dander. They grow and molt a couple of times over a period of 10-200 days, depending on food supply, humidity, and temperature. Then they pupate. The pupa part of their life cycle can last from 7 days to 1 year. They wait until conditions are right and until there's mammalian prey (cats, dogs, and humans). The take home message here is that if you see a fair number of fleas on your cat or dog, know that you have hundreds, maybe thousands of tiny flea eggs, larvae, and pupae around. To solve a serious flea problem you're going to have to go after the eggs, larvae, and pupae as well the adult fleas on your pet. The trouble is that they've become resistant to the pesticides we've been using for the last 25 years. Luckily, we now have new pesticides that they haven't become resistant to, and in most cases are working really well.

Ticks

The type of ticks we deal with most often in pet medicine are various types of so-called "hard" ticks and each of the different species and subspecies have similar life cycles. Adults, which can live for over a year, lay up to 8000 eggs on moist ground. The eggs hatch in 2-7 weeks. The larvae (seed ticks) , which cling to tall grass or low bushes attach themselves to passing pets or other small mammals and feed for several days. Then they fall off and rest for 6-90 depending on weather conditions etc. After molting into nymphs they again attach themselves to the nearest mammal that walks by and feed again for several days. Then they fall off and rest for another 3-15 weeks. Finally, they molt again into adults that attach themselves again to the most convenient mammal, have sex, feast on blood, and start laying eggs again.

None of this information is likely to help you much other than to know that any place with damp soil, long grass, or low bushes could harbor thousands of seed ticks, nymphs, and adult ticks waiting to attach themselves to you or your pets. Spraying such areas with pesticides help, but resistance is a problem. Resistance is also a problem with the majority of sprays , dips, and collars claiming to solve your tick problem.

The thing about ticks and fleas is they can harbour in your home. Female ticks are known to crawl into cracks or crevices in the wall and can lay dormant for up to 6 months before dropping down on your dog for feeding and laying eggs. What I can suggest is to take your doggy to the vet for some treatment and removal of these pesky parasites. If your dog's an indoor pet, you have to check its bedding and housing very thoroughly. I'm sure the vet would have better suggestions of getting rid of this infestation in your home. Good luck and let us know the outcome!

Come see what I'm up to at susie*ville!

(This post was edited by alyn on Nov 21, 2003, 7:32 PM)

alyn
Novice

Nov 21, 2003, 10:14 PM

Post #3 of 46 (2222 views)
Shortcut

Some helpful articles :

www.petsmart.com/pet_library/home_remedies/fleas.shtml

http://www.petsmart.com/...remedies/ticks.shtml

Come see what I'm up to at susie*ville!

earth.goddess
Novice

Nov 22, 2003, 3:10 AM

Post #4 of 46 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alyn] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Alyn!

Thanks for the info provided. Smile Will try it out asap.
~Earth Goddess~

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 22, 2003, 11:53 AM

Post #5 of 46 (2209 views)
Shortcut

Hello,Smile

As for preventive measures, you could try feeding garlic.

Also you could try searching the forum. There were many past informative discussions on this topic
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 23, 2003, 3:43 AM

Post #6 of 46 (2203 views)
Shortcut

i aslo face this problem when i starts to bring kinki out for her daily walks.
so everyday i will search thoroughly all around her coat and catch those ticks. Catch as much as i could.
then i spray her coat with frontline and also feed garlic to her regularly.
but still sometimes i will found 1 or 2 ticks on her body.
cannot 100% free from ticks though.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

earth.goddess
Novice

Nov 25, 2003, 5:27 AM

Post #7 of 46 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiyee...

Feeding garlic.. as in chopped raw garlic in their food? At the moment I feed them with dry food..
~Earth Goddess~

earth.goddess
Novice

Nov 25, 2003, 5:31 AM

Post #8 of 46 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

:)

Actually i dun really mind searching all over them to catch those ticks. Its just dat i'm afraid the house gets infested, and also poor them have to scratch all over all the time.

At present, I rub them often with tea tree and lavender oil, and dry clean them with neroli oil...

Anyway, if i use frontline, will it harm them? I'm afraid if they licked the solution or something...
~Earth Goddess~

mackmack
Doggyman

Nov 25, 2003, 6:29 AM

Post #9 of 46 (2181 views)
Shortcut

garlic has no effect on my old dog, Max. His ticks problem is just way toooooo serious~ Frontline is great, but also USELESS to be applied on Max~Unsure

Been feeding Max garlics since 2 months ago, a glove per day. It helps a lot in reducing bad odor, both body and mouth. Use garlic to anti Ticks?? I think that's for prevention. can never CURE Max's problem~Crazy

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 25, 2003, 10:16 AM

Post #10 of 46 (2174 views)
Shortcut

Yea..raw..and then chopped or minced Smile

Depending on the size of your dog, 1 clove every 2-3 days a week should suffice.

hm..most of the dogs which are fed kibble I've come across don't like garlic(not sure abt yours).. and since u can't hide the garlic with the kibble,what i suggest is feed her the garlic with a treat like some meat or cheese,covering the garlic.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 25, 2003, 5:58 PM

Post #11 of 46 (2172 views)
Shortcut

ya, kinki also like to lick her shampoo and the spray, its hard to avoid.

but i don't think there is any side effect, so far so good.

i myself don't really recommend ppl on using ticks repellent shampoo, coz its will no longer effective after long time usage.

in my experience, after using the shampoo for 2 months, now the ticks will no longer died in the solution. i did the experiment myself by putting the ticks in a bowl and add the solution. it will not DIE!

garlic feeding it good, coz those ticks in kinki ears will crawl out from there. i force feed the garlic to kinki, coz when i try to stuck it inside the bread for her, she'll open it up and push out the garlic (so smart le).

so i force feed her by, using my right hand to open up her upper muzzle, then the left hand stuck the half clove of garlic deep into her throat. so close the mouth and then massage the throat. give her some treat instantly to prevent her from vomiting out.

try to prevent them from outdoor grass

i rrad from some other forum that mentioned about a 'bomb'. that is use to kill ticks in the room. not sure where to buy it.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Nov 25, 2003, 6:02 PM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 25, 2003, 7:52 PM

Post #12 of 46 (2166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85,earth.goddess] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

HelloSmile

Not sure abt the shampoo, but be careful abt the spray(you're talking abt frontine/anti-tick solution right?), if it can very well kill ticks..imagine what it can do to your dog. And this is not just one squirt. Over time,after quite a bit of licking...Crazy
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Nov 25, 2003, 7:53 PM)

dpelican

Dec 1, 2003, 10:39 PM

Post #13 of 46 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Frontline is actually a very good solution. Usually ticks like to hide behind the ears area and underneath the collar, armpits and the back.

You can soak the poor bugger in Dettol solution and it still won't get rid of the tick problem. I've found Frontline to work for my dog. I've recommended to a few friends with tick problem and all of them managed to get their dogs tick free. Of course, no guarantee that the dog won't pick up one or two while in the part. Get the spray type, it's cheaper and I found it to be more effective than the tube type (comes in envelope like box). One reason is spray type is locally bottled and it's greater in quantity.

It's pretty harmless to the dog as long as you try avoid spraying directly at the mouth, eyes or ears area. Because the solution does has some solvent base.

Frontline needs the oil layer on its skin to work effectively. So don't go spraying the dog after you soak him/her in Dettol solution or directly after bathing him/her. If you want to bathe him/her first, wait for ~24-48hrs before spraying Frontline on.

Read the instructions on the bottle and you will find the right method to apply.

1) Part the hair a bit so the skin is exposed.

2) Spray Frontline solution onto the skin and rub in with your fingers.

So spray at near the neck, behind the ears, armpit, etc. It's quite safe. Of course, spray it close, not like spray mosquito. Buy the small bottle and keep it in the house. Maybe after the ticks gone, you still can use it on the dog once a while for prevention measure.

What you will find over the week or so after you have administered Frontline is dried up dead ticks among the dog's hair. It doesn't kill the ticks instantly. So don't expect ticks to drop off instantly.

dpelican

Dec 1, 2003, 10:49 PM

Post #14 of 46 (2126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you spraying Frontline onto the hair/coat or directly onto the skin with the hair parted with your fingers? Did you rub it into the skin after you spray on?

Are you spraying Frontline straight after you bathe Max or wait for ~2 days before spraying it on?

Remember to read the instructions on the bottle. There is instruction to teach you how to administer it correctly. I found that a lot of people are not administering Frontline correctly and in the process not getting rid of the problem and wasting money. Frontline is actually very effective if used correctly.

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 1, 2003, 10:54 PM

Post #15 of 46 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dpelican] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing.Smile
I'm using it correctly.

truely understood what u mean... but it's still useless on Max.Unsure It's not really about the problem to kill the ticks on his body but those "hiding" in the garden/pavement/walls~ Once I caught 200+ ticks from Max. He went out sun bathing in the compound. Came in after that, I check with him and caught another .. more or less.. about 100.Pirate

dpelican

Dec 2, 2003, 1:23 AM

Post #16 of 46 (2118 views)
Shortcut

Looks like you need to do a bit of tick-busting in and around the house. I would like to recommend some domestic pesticide but I think they are a bit too strong for the pet. However, it can be a cheap and easy solution and quite effective if you manage correctly. I have done this before in my parent's house. Of course, you need to restrain the dog from those places for a while until the ticks are gone and you have cleaned off the pesticide from the walls. Mind you, it's a lot of work.

If you really think it's worth it, it may be good to seek professional help in resolving this problem. There are commercial exterminators (something like Rentokil) to do this but I think it's very costly. If left uncheck, it may cause problems to human occupants. I have a friend who has done it but effective it may be, it's very troublesome and requires relocation (both owner and pet). They basically dug up all the floorboards, spray the whole house and redo all the floorboards. Basically, it can be something of a house renovation. Of course, this is the really extreme case and I'm not even suggesting for you to do it. It's out of the question. But just to share with you the possibilities in resolving this. For them, it was the last resort because it was some cat's ticks and it was starting to affect the people staying there. So they don't really have a choice.

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 2, 2003, 1:29 AM

Post #17 of 46 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Oh yeah, will get pest control over my house for a SPRAY this week and hopefully no later by next week.
it's not only the "floor" but the yards. if i gonna go tru renovation, have to rebuild the pavement into all tiles. Not convenient for this time around the year.

anyway, thanks for your sharing. I think better get rid of the ROOT cause and use those commercial anti-ticks products as "prevention" or as maintanence.
relocation is not a problem as I've already relocate my dogs for a minor "renovation" at home to allocate the dogs.Tongue "Construction" still going on but not as extreme as ur fren~Cool
thanks.

dpelican

Dec 2, 2003, 1:43 AM

Post #18 of 46 (2114 views)
Shortcut

Good luck. I know how stressful it is for the owner and the pet when there is a tick problem. Seeing all the ticks sucking blood from your furry fren and after catching them, there's wound marks all over the pet. Good luck!!! Hope the spray get rid of them once and for all. **Fingers crossed**

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 2, 2003, 1:59 AM

Post #19 of 46 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Oh thanks. maybe I shall explain why the matter got worse and never being "cured" coz I was away from home for about 4 yrs and my parents' health condition doesn't allow them to get contact with those kind of soap/repellent/poisons.... so Max was being bathed for only a few times in a year when either one of our sibblings was home during vacation.
Now since i'm back, i wanna do something to get rid of the ticks problem and so have to treat the root cause. Spent on the Frontline but really... show no effect at all to Max's body. the ticks still sucking lifely.Crazy

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2003, 11:01 PM

Post #20 of 46 (2100 views)
Shortcut

i think those buggers tend to be resistant on frontline too!!

i tried using them on baobao.. initially good!!.. ticks died and fall out...
it was useful for a few times but this time it doesn't seem to have any effect!!

thecorrs
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 8:22 PM

Post #21 of 46 (2067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have three dogs and a cat at home. I have occasionally encountered ticks and fleas problems - ticks mainly on my dog and flea on both. Since I have been using Frontline Spot On regularly almost every month from last June on all my pets till now I have not encountered any ticks and fleas problem.

I started using Frontline because my beauty got ticks problem and my charlie and angel (my three dogs) also get them. so I started to use Frontline spray and I found it works so I keep using Frontline Spot On till now because its convenience.

I would prefer Frontline than any other products.

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 13, 2004, 10:50 PM

Post #22 of 46 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Hi, the field I take my dogs for walks in is notorious for ticks and fleas. I use Frontline Spot On monthly as recommended, and it seems effective. I cant use the powder or spray type cos my puppies are too active for me to apply it. At least with Spot On I only need one good squirt. Their Website say Frontline will actually kill the ticks and fleas. So if you still find a few on the dog they are from the environment but will die. That is what they claim lah. If that is true the ticks already in your compound will die if they attack Max. If they dont, also cannot survive forever without a host. Dunno lah that one theory only. That doesn't work for you so what do you intend to do? I would be lost in your situation. Your super fleas sound so scary. Good luck and best regards,J

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 13, 2004, 11:00 PM

Post #23 of 46 (2062 views)
Shortcut

Hi again, I have a friend who says that his house is condemned with regards to flea infestation cos he didnt address the situation in the early stages. Even if he fumigates his Lab he cant do anything to his compound because the fleas are being kept active by his neighbour's(!) dogs. But at least his are not super fleas like yours. Best regards,J

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 13, 2004, 11:21 PM

Post #24 of 46 (2060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Any help with ticks and fleas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh~ thanks for sharing... the ticks problem has somehow got better off, but still, cant get rid of them totally. constant bathing and cleaning does help a lot, but the compound.... errrr..... headache~Crazy

earth.goddess
Novice

Jan 14, 2004, 5:58 AM

Post #25 of 46 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Wink I use 4 methods...

1) Frontline once in da blue moon..

2) Lavender and tea tree dry bath every other day

3) Garlic every week..

4) Pick em out if visible..

Hehehh, seems to be working fine so far.. dunno which method contributes though... Tongue
~Earth Goddess~

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my