First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

whongy
New User

Nov 20, 2003, 5:24 PM

Post #1 of 26 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat Can't Post

Hi All,

I need help!!!!!!!!! My doggie suddenly don't want to eat his dog food. Previously he like his dog food so much. Now when he look at his bowl he straight away run from his bowl. Please give me some advise........

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 20, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #2 of 26 (1891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whongy] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

if your doggie is still starving, do add some meat to encourage him to eat.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 21, 2003, 12:06 AM

Post #3 of 26 (1875 views)
Shortcut

is your dog feeling well? check if he's ok first....if he's alright then maybe you could change the dog food or add something yummy....or try feeding BARF....any dog would love that....Cool

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 21, 2003, 12:07 AM

Post #4 of 26 (1875 views)
Shortcut

Hello Smile

How old is your dog?

How is he behaving? Is he his usual self? Illness can cause lack of appetite.

What breed? or how big is your dog?

Perhaps there was something in the food unseen by you that he did not like. Have you tried again?

What are you feeding your dog? How long has it been since he lost his appetite?

Have you tried feeding him anything else? Does he take that?

There are a few options available...but need more info of the dog.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Nov 21, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #5 of 26 (1869 views)
Shortcut

Hi Whongy,

If your doggy is normal, and not sick... it is likely that he is picky with food and is bored with the food already. DOes anyone in the family give me other food such as bread or biscuits for treats? Sometimes when the dog is exposed to human food, it will take a while to get him back to kibbles again. It happened to my dog. Tongue

What you do is that.. (that is assuming your dog is not sick!) You stipulate a specific time to feed your dog, eg. 9-10am, and then leave the bowl there and bring him there. He will surely run away again.. but don't worry, leave his food there until 10am, and if he still does not return to eat, take the untouched/slightly touched kibbles away, and don't feed him for the rest of the day. Your family members and you will have to co-operate as well, as in, don't feed him with treats such as bread, biscuits, cheese or treats... Do that again for the next day, and the next. When your dog is hungry, automatically, he will eat the kibbles already.

I am assuming that your dog is not sick or down with illness. But if he is not feeling well, take him to the vet immediately. If he is not sick, this method should work just fine. Smile

Good luck!Cool
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 27, 2003, 6:46 PM

Post #6 of 26 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey...

Great tip! Will make good use of it... Tongue...

Anyway, am facing the same problem with my pup now. She is refusing to eat her kibbles after we have taken her off the special canned food (due to her having some stomach upset). We have not fed her anything else besides her normal kibbles and the vet's canned food... Unsure

Oh well, am going to try out your tip... Tongue Thanks!

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

glass_mermaid
Novice

Dec 13, 2003, 11:44 PM

Post #7 of 26 (1817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

hey, i too am facing the same problem. My shih tzu, honey is 9 months now and has been refusing her food for about a month now...she seems healthy, but has refused her food.at first we thought she might be starting on her heat but it has yet to come.i tried starving her, but she's too small and it doesn't seem to work.....so what should i do?i tried mixing plain, boiled chicken but it's not working.....to make matters worse, my greedy puppy, male, shih tzu, 11 months started to refuse his food...could it be because he's jealous over us pampering honey during meal time?

yenlai

Dec 16, 2003, 11:49 PM

Post #8 of 26 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

hi all,

unfortunately, i cant give any tips on this. actually my golden 8.5mths now. and he refused to eat his dog food as well since 3 weeks back. but if i mixed with some milk(his favourite) and he will try to finish off (95%). sometimes i did mix with some meat & he only finish (60% only)...but he is ok if he plays around in the garden..very active...what's wrong with that?

glass_mermaid
Novice

Dec 17, 2003, 1:07 AM

Post #9 of 26 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yenlai] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

do you give your dog the milk found in supermarkets or the ones found in dog shops?

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 8:25 PM

Post #10 of 26 (1799 views)
Shortcut

Hi there...

Hmmm... If you want to feed some milk, I might suggest Animalac (I think that's the spelling).... Laugh

Just wondering, are you feeding your pup the right amount of food as specified for his breed? Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 8:56 PM

Post #11 of 26 (1796 views)
Shortcut

You may like to try to soak the kibbles, it works for my doggies Tongue

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 1:28 AM

Post #12 of 26 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melissa, whongy] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea... Melissa's tip is helpful too... Laugh

Try to soak in some luke warm water? Don't make it too soggy though. Tongue Anyway at 8.5 mths, they should tolerate dry kibbles? Smile

Join the JRT Zone

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #13 of 26 (1791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

Some doggies might dislike to chew. Although my cherry is already 1 year 8 months but she will only eats if kibbles soaked with water Crazy.

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 1:42 AM

Post #14 of 26 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melissa] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm..

That's true. Making the food a little warm and soft maybe appealing to some dogs... Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

yenlai

Dec 18, 2003, 3:23 AM

Post #15 of 26 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [glass_mermaid] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

hi glass_mermaid, for your info, i used to buy the milk at pet shop.those mainly for pets.. :)

yenlai

Dec 18, 2003, 3:25 AM

Post #16 of 26 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

hi aragorn, regarding the amount of food as specified for my golden...humm....i didnt follow exactly... :( cox if i give a specifc amount of food as per his weight, i think he is not going to finish it !

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 3:37 AM

Post #17 of 26 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Hmmmm...

Does your pup get distracted easily during his meal? My pup is like that sometimes. My aunt told me that must give around 30mins (since my pup is < 4mths old) for them to finish their meal. Crazy

Anyway, I do add some nutrients and lukewarm water in the kibbles to make it a warm and softer for my pup to chew and she will usually finish it all up. Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

glass_mermaid
Novice

Dec 18, 2003, 11:16 PM

Post #18 of 26 (1781 views)
Shortcut

my female dog does get distracted.After that, she won't eat for the rest of the day,but she does go on playing her toy though. Maybe she might have a problem chewing because her teeth are really small. As for the amount whether i'm feeding enough for her weight, how will we know how much is enough?

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 11:38 PM

Post #19 of 26 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [glass_mermaid] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmmm....

How many meals are you feeding per day?

Anyway, best advice is to feed according to weight, so that you don't underfeed or overfeed the dog. There is a fine line between being full and greedy, so, have to becareful of that. Smile

The vet told me that the best way to find out if your dog is being fed properly is to check the poo. If the poo is hard, it means it is being underfed, but if it is soft, it is being overfed. Tongue Also, the anus of the dog might appear a bit inflamed if it is overfed... Crazy

Join the JRT Zone

glass_mermaid
Novice

Dec 20, 2003, 1:01 AM

Post #20 of 26 (1769 views)
Shortcut

well, i feed them twice a day but the poo is semisoft/hard. So i guess u can say that their poo seems normal.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 20, 2003, 2:13 AM

Post #21 of 26 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Hmmmm...

I see... As long as it is not totally soft and pasty looking, it should be ok...

Join the JRT Zone

yenlai

Dec 21, 2003, 4:16 AM

Post #22 of 26 (1762 views)
Shortcut

hi aragorn, yes my pup will definately get distracted during his meal (he is very "kei poh") but i will try to leave the food for around 20 min..then clean the bowl..this is how i do it.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 11:07 PM

Post #23 of 26 (1756 views)
Shortcut

I see....

Must teach our pups good eating manners.. Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

cris
Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2003, 10:43 PM

Post #24 of 26 (1742 views)
Shortcut

i had a shock yesterday. My silky got the habbit of refusing her food now and then and last week, she refused to eat from friday and saturday....but she took some breads. Yesterday, after coming back from obedience class, she started to vomit....vomitted the threats i gave her and then vomitted foam type and later blood staint in it. I quickly sent her to the vet and the doctor said it might be her ulcer or food poisoning and she gave a jab and some tablets to help her ulcer and asked me to watch over her the night and if it doesnt stop, to send her in again in the morning. I am so happy after an hour of her jab, she does stop vomitting with blood. In fact the doctor said it is no good for dogs to go without food for they will have gastric problems like us. I am glad she is ok now and ate the chicken rice i cooked for her just before i went to sleep last night. imagine watching over her eating her meals...gee....she is having better life than me.

Is there any other special way to make sure they eat???? the funny thing is she never refused raw chicken neck or leg. But raw food doesnt have all the balanced diet , that is why i am only giving raw food twice a week.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 30, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #25 of 26 (1739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cris] Help!!!!! My doggie don't want to eat [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmm...

Hope that your silky is feeling much much better now... Unsure

Not too sure about this about giving raw meat to dogs, maybe the other experts here would have a better opinion? However, in my humble opinion, raw meat is probably not a good idea for your sick dog now as it might irritate their tummy. Best to serve cooked/steamed meat.

What did your vet advised in regards for the diet since your dog has ulcer now?

Join the JRT Zone

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my