Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
CLIMBING THE STAIRS

CARSALES
New User

Nov 19, 2003, 12:52 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1262 views)
Shortcut
CLIMBING THE STAIRS Can't Post

I JUST ADOPTED A 3 YR OLD MALE SHELTIE FROM A RESCUE LEAGUE. HE WAS KEPT IN A CRATE OR PEN FOR MOST OF HIS LIFE AND IS VERY SCARED OF THE WORLD. I LIVE ON THE 3RD FLOOR OF A WAREHOUSE BUILDING AND THE NEW GUY CAN'T OR WON'T CLIMB THE STAIRS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET HIM OVER THIS HURDLE? I DON'T THINK THE FOOD ON THE STEPS WILL WORK... HE TRIES TO JUMP UP THE STAIRS AND THAT JUST CANNOT WORK WITH 3 FLIGHTS AT 15-20 FT A FLIGHT... HELP!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 19, 2003, 9:30 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CARSALES] CLIMBING THE STAIRS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile

As with many shelter dogs (especially the older/mature ones) ... reacclamatising them to daily living requires much patience & love ...

You have correctly identified the issue ... having lived most of it's life in a crate or pen ... your sheltie is probably afraid ... everything is so new to your dog ... (check the sheltie standard for guidance on what a sheltie is normally like in temperament ... and how deprivation from people and environment may affect its temperament).

I would suggest the following:

(a) That the priority for now, is not the steps ... (I realise that carrying a full grown dog up and down can be a chore) ... but the issue is not the steps for the time being ... Just give the dog some time to settle down with you and to learn to trust you first ... VERY IMPORTANT.

That he is jumping the steps indicates that he wants to follow you ... but doesn't understand (yet) the concept of stairs and steps ... Don't force the dog to do it ... that may frighten it even more. Remember from a dog's view point (being low to ground) looking up a flight of stairs can be pretty intimidating.

So, at this point in time ... I sincerely believe the most important thing is for you and the dog to bond ... for the dog to learn (a) you will never hurt him ... (b) you will not frighten him ... (c) you will love him as he wants to love you - without question or condition. Once a dog learns that - the dog will do much for you ... including climb all the stairs in the world.

(b) Build trust ... Try taking your dog for walks and during the walks - encourage with praise & treats (avoid all forms of punishment during this critical period of building trust) your dog to handle kerbs and such like ... just to move up and down different levels ... When your sheltie does that comfortably ... lead & teach him to handle places that have a few stairs/steps only, and don't appear so intimidating ...

Gradually ... you will soon be able to teach your sheltie that stairs are safe ... The natural exhuberance of a sheltie makes him a fast learner ...

For praise & reward method of training ... please check the forum threads ... use the search function.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 19, 2003, 9:51 PM)

CARSALES
New User

Nov 20, 2003, 5:39 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] CLIMBING THE STAIRS [In reply to] Can't Post

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE I DON'T LET WENDALL GET INTO THE HABIT. I DON'T WANT HIM TO EXPECT TO BE CARRIED EVERYWHERE. I'VE BEEN WORKING ON BONDING FOR 3 DAYS AND HE'S STARTING TO WARM UP TO ME. MAYBE I CAN HAVE A FRIEND BUILD A MINI SET OF STAIRS TO PRACTICE ON... I KNOW MY OTHER DOG WOULD LOVE TO PLAY ON THAT WHEN I'M OUT. THANKS AGAIN.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 21, 2003, 1:08 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CARSALES] CLIMBING THE STAIRS [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds good ... Smile ...

Cheers & all the best with Wendall

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my