Neuter?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 8:03 PM

Post #1 of 63 (2268 views)
Shortcut
Neuter? Can't Post

I just want some opinion... Neutering dog will give them a better health and life span longer? I just wanna make sure that I did not hear wrongly.. I should know all these by now but just worrying, that's all... Thanks.. Fiona

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 9:27 PM

Post #2 of 63 (2263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vicfion] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmm...

What did you hear about neutering? As far as I know, spaying/neutering may help your dog's health and in some cases, reduces some aggression (if your dog is known to be a little aggressive). Smile

Are you worried about the procedure on your dog?

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2003, 11:10 PM

Post #3 of 63 (2259 views)
Shortcut

Well, that's what they say.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 1:40 AM

Post #4 of 63 (2246 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

The logic of neutering goes this way ... these days (unfortunately) the incidence of cancer, organ disfunction and disease seems to be increasing in dogs generally ... And since neutering means removing the reproductive organs ... it also means that a neutered dog no longer runs any risk of disease in the organs removed ... thus, the common view that neutering a dog is good long term preventation, and improves health & life span.

But to my mind, there is another important reason for neutering our dogs. Much has been said & posted about how we can reduce the number of unwanted puppies and to promote responsible breeding ... well, perhaps neutering pet or pet quality dogs is the first step we can take.

Cheers Smile

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2003, 1:42 AM

Post #5 of 63 (2246 views)
Shortcut

Hi vicfion,

I'll sending my male JRT for neutering this Saturday. Can't let him keep producing puppies, otherwise my female JRT will suffer.

Generally, I don't think neutering will increase the life span of the dogs. But it does remove the chances of them developing testicular cancer and lower the risk of prostate cancer. In this sense, it offers some protection for longer life.

But I am a little bit apprehensive that my JRT will become less active after this operation. Maybe he will become softie and can't perform his jumping skill anymore. Laugh Any advice what to expect after the surgery??

Join the JRT Zone

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 1:56 AM

Post #6 of 63 (2244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmax] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be some debate as to how neutering affects a dog's general behaviour & temperament ...

The common concensus is that health and life span are either improved or not affected (for the reasons posted above) ... But in terms of behaviour & temperament ... some say neutering curbs aggression, and make for more docile dogs ... others suggest that nuetered dogs get fat easily or become more lazy ... while still others disagree ...

I've not noticed any behavioural or temperament change that I would attribute directly to neutering ... keeping in mind that (just like people) dogs do get steadier in temperament, have a tendency to put on weight, and become slightly lazier as they grow older anyways ... Laugh ... Although I must say that our Labrador's coat improved very much, soon after she was spayed.

So all said ... I don't think your terrier will become a "softie" after neutering ... Smile ... and still be jumping ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 12, 2003, 2:14 AM)

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 5:48 AM

Post #7 of 63 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Actually I had 2 of my dogs neutered.. a female and her son after a big fight every 6 months... but my friend asked me 1 too many question about neutereing that I guess I better ask experience people... I don't know much about it.. all I know is I have to keep an eye on the dog right after surgery and if possible keep him in his cage for a few days until his stiches can be taken off... actually I see my dog behaviour is the same only that he is not interested in sex... I remember one time while I was pregnant... 2 male was fighting for the female.. I have the devide them and pull the father away and the son came charging towards the father but instead bite me... now all these had gone to an end... phew... as for the female, the doctor did not do a good job, she still produce the smell and stuff althought can never get pregnant but still attract the male...She was the 1st to be spayed... I switched doctors for the 2nd one.. Fiona

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 5:51 AM

Post #8 of 63 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agreed with you... such a heartbreaking scene when you are at PAWS or SPCA...
I saw a Boxer with the problem you had mentioned... so poor thing.. they have to put him down Frown.. thanks for your advice... Fiona

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 5:52 AM

Post #9 of 63 (2235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah that was what I was told.... Fiona Smile

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 6:02 AM

Post #10 of 63 (2234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks... Actually I did neutered 2 of my dogs... my friend keep asking me 1 too many question that I think I better ask somone who is experience just in case I might give wrong answer... Actually I do think it is cruel to neauter them but now after I learned from people back in the States that I did go on with it on my dogs... Fiona

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2003, 9:15 AM

Post #11 of 63 (2225 views)
Shortcut

I agree with surchinmy though.. Smile

When I spayed Silky, she was more docile, less active and definitely put on the pounds (i'm still working on loosing her weightTongue) .

I was really upset though...coz she was not herself.. FrownPirateUnsureGuess I'm used to her personality now.. But i do miss her old self..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Nov 12, 2003, 9:15 AM)

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2003, 10:06 AM

Post #12 of 63 (2218 views)
Shortcut

You mean after the surgery, your Silky became docile, less active and easily put on weight? Is there anything you can do to help Silky become more active?

My wife previously had a male cat and got him neutered. After that, the cat became "softie" and always bullied by other cats. He always lost when fighting with other cats. Also he put on weight easily.

Gosh...so will I be expecting my male JRT becoming docile and fat?

Join the JRT Zone

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2003, 10:41 AM

Post #13 of 63 (2216 views)
Shortcut

Well, it's been a year ++ already..

and she seems the same..she's still enthusiastic abt her walks and training(agility too) but doesn't like to play anymore.

Last time, before spaying, she loved to chase and play..but now...very seldom.. Pirate and that is what i miss most.

She is not a softie though. She's still top dog in the pack.Never gets bullied.

She eats abt 1 - 1 1/2 mugs of food a day and walks abt 40-60 mins a day. She's a cocker spaniel mix terrier..abt 15 inches at the withers.

I'm not sure what you can do..sorry.. CrazyUnsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 5:43 PM

Post #14 of 63 (2213 views)
Shortcut

I see.... Cool

At first, I thought neutering or spaying was to prevent unwanted puppies but after doing some research, I learnt that it was a preventive procedure for cancer and other diseases. When I told some friend about this, they thought it was "cruel".. I told them that it was for their health.

Anyway, I do agree with surchinmy about the "side-effects" like weight-gain and loss of playfulness, as it could mean that the dog is getting older? Smile

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 13, 2003, 12:30 AM

Post #15 of 63 (2209 views)
Shortcut

My male JRT is neutered....no difference in his active lifestyle....he's still a hyper and jumping Jack Tongue.....but he does seem to attract more males than females though lol....a lot of members here with male dogs will know....their dogs love mine and i think mine enjoys male company more than females Laugh....as for the weight i noticed spayed/neutered bitch/dog's appetite will generally increase, as a result we tend to feed them more thus they will gain weight in the end....so you need to control his diet and of course exercise more! Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2003, 8:06 AM

Post #16 of 63 (2201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

actually i had decided to had kinki spay soon. but after i heard from realitydreamer that her dog become less active...... i'm worried. coz i always wish that kinki will remain her playful act.

should i or shoud i not have her spay?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2003, 12:07 PM

Post #17 of 63 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Please do not let my post worry you. In general, I've read that it does not change a dog's personality.

Perhaps mine is just an exception =)

Btw, she's not less active, just that she's less playful that's all. She's just as active..loving her walks. =) She has alot of stamina packed into that little body of hers and joins me,Tyson and Hazel on walks. She has jogged with me a few times and takes daily 40 minute walks.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Nov 13, 2003, 12:09 PM)

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2003, 9:39 AM

Post #18 of 63 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ginl,

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely have to send him for neutering as I don't want him to produce any more puppies. Even if he become more attractive to the male I think it is still the best option. It will be done at the vet in Taman Megah. I will send the female for spaying after this.

Since you have 2 JRTs, do you have any problem keeping them? Do you put them in separate cage at night? I asked because I feel that JRT should be trained to stay in the cage at night. I have a friend who find it very difficult to train her JRT to stop yelping at night. I told her to cage the puppy at night..not to let the puppy roam around the house. I know the noise the puppy is making is an expression of the anxiety she feels at being alone. So the puppy must be taught that being alone is okay. It is not easy to teach the puppy to be alone. Any advice?

Join the JRT Zone

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2003, 9:51 AM

Post #19 of 63 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda85,

I think you should have her spayed because I'm sure you don't want any puppies up for adoption. It is not easy to find good homes for them. Even if you find them new homes, you will feel that you have done unjustice to the puppies. That's how I feel.

Join the JRT Zone

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2003, 5:27 PM

Post #20 of 63 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Hey dmax,

No i don't cage them at nite....both sleep on the bed with us....i love the feeling of warm furry things on my legs on a cold cold nite Tongue....during the daytime when we're at work i caged the older one (2 yrs old) and the young one (4.5 mths) hv a free roam in the hse....reason is the older one is VERY destructive if there are no humans in the hse...ohh the horror stories i cud tell u of the things he did Crazy.....the younger one is very well behaved so far so he gets his freedom Laugh

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 14, 2003, 6:28 PM

Post #21 of 63 (2177 views)
Shortcut

now i'm actually looking for a good vet to do the spay.

wish to go to the jalan tun razak, animal hospital.

btw, do you heard of abortion for dogs?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 14, 2003, 6:33 PM

Post #22 of 63 (2177 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm mine still the same thought but active wise I did not take notice of the youngest of them all one... To me looks like all the same... Anyway, I sure do hope not but for their health sake I might as well just do it... Anyway thanks for sharing your experience... Fiona

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 14, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #23 of 63 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Neuter? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought so but later when I heard about the helth wise, I feel that I must go on with it...
For weight wise... hehehhe I do agree.. for female just the same since she was a fat dog before being spay but for the son, yeap he gain weight... active wise,... all the same... anyway, thanks for sharing your experience... Fiona

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 14, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #24 of 63 (2176 views)
Shortcut

you are right Smile

for health's sake..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 14, 2003, 6:55 PM

Post #25 of 63 (2175 views)
Shortcut

hehehe and also must save money first hehehe:) Anyway, I always thought it was cruel until I found out about the cancer from friend's Boxer... :)Fiona

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my