Dobermann

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

tykf_2001
New User

Nov 4, 2003, 9:43 PM

Post #1 of 51 (7051 views)
Shortcut
Dobermann Can't Post

Hello everyone.. I`m Terry here and im new...

I had bought a pair of dobermann puppy (about 2 month old)2 weeks ago from a pet shop at Jln Petaling called wildlife.. week after the puppy was bought.. one of it had died and one is ill ...the doctor says that it was cause by distemper... cause they didn`t take the first injection yet...i`m too stupid maybe cause i had no experience of breeding dogs...(just hope to inform some new buyer to becarefull when buying some dogs at pet shop)

Yesterday my dad had bought a new dobermann around 2-3 month and i found that the size are totally different compare to the one i bought 2 weeks ago... izzit that the distemper cause the size smaller or it wont grow any bigger??? one was 4 kg++ and one was 7 kg++...

Actually i hope to get a Bull Terrier too cause i felt that it was really cute.. can anyone tell me where can i find it??

i hope to get some answer from everyone here...thanks alot

(This post was edited by tykf_2001 on Nov 4, 2003, 9:49 PM)

sslee80
ALPHA

Nov 4, 2003, 11:41 PM

Post #2 of 51 (7044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tykf_2001] Dobermann [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Terry,

sorry to hear that your pups passed away...Frown

yea...never buy pets from the pet shop...I think there are some forum members who had bad experiences like you....Unsure

anyway, try to avaid those irresponsible pet shop...

About bull terrier, I would suggest u to contact MKA for a list of BT breeders... hope it helpsSmile

Have a Great Day.

Sean LEE

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 8:33 AM

Post #3 of 51 (7035 views)
Shortcut

hello TerrySmile

Welcome to the forum. Another dobe fan too i see..Cool

I hv a dobe too. Her name's Hazel. That's her in my avatar Smile

As for the size, there are a few factors. One of which might be the distemper. Others are like food, bloodline etc.

Btw, pls add your pup to the working dogs list..

Here's a site on warnings abt petshops..

http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_shops_warning_P15/

here's another true story:

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

btw, what's ur lil sweetheart's name? what colour is it?

as for the BT..agree with Sean. Or u could go to dog shows..but there's hardly any BT's there though...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

tykf_2001
New User

Nov 6, 2003, 12:13 AM

Post #4 of 51 (7028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Dobermann [In reply to] Can't Post

Er... do you mind to teach me how to add it in to the working dog list???anyway.. her name is Jerry and one more named Tango...heheheh

they are in black... i`m really worry if i cant get to see them grow....it was really a sad case where dogs you love die....

i heard that the next dog show will be held at the stadium juara in mount kiara this sunday ... i`m not too sure where is it..

(This post was edited by tykf_2001 on Nov 6, 2003, 12:15 AM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 8:45 AM

Post #5 of 51 (7023 views)
Shortcut

no..not at all Smile

here's the link: http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

just reply to a post with information abt your little one. And i'll do the rest.Cool

Generally, (if your dogs aren't fr pet shops or backyard breeders), even they hv health problems..they will grow. Provided they are taken care of. Smile

Yea..it's in Bkt. Kiara...er...my sense of direction is not too good..perhaps you could post a new thread and ask? sorry i can't help you here... Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 2:44 AM

Post #6 of 51 (7017 views)
Shortcut

sad to hear that your new pup died. many member from this website did told us their bad experience of buying puppy from jalan petaling pet shop.

but my father is the lucky one who bought before a pug puppy from there and he's healthy.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 8:05 AM

Post #7 of 51 (7014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Dobermann [In reply to] Can't Post

me too!

i'm soooooooooooo thankful that she's healthy..maybe it's also coz she's mixed...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 8:26 PM

Post #8 of 51 (7008 views)
Shortcut

that's was history la. many years ago. my daddy bought him for RM800. and he is pure black pug. a 'master of religion' told him that his lucky colour is black, that's why he bought it.

he is healthy for 4 years without any vaccine and dewormed. then later my dad sold him to his friend.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2003, 6:12 AM

Post #9 of 51 (7003 views)
Shortcut

o0oh...

if u don't mind me asking...

why sold him?

just being 8...ehehehe
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #10 of 51 (6998 views)
Shortcut

he got no cert one. btw, why pure breed dog got no cert one? i used to taught that all pure breed dog also got cert one.
actually after 2 years, my daddy don't really give his attention to the dog already. only my mum was the one who take care of the pug. so one day when my grandpa friend came to my house for a visit, he said that he like to pug and wish to have it. so my dad just sell him away. i think for RM500.

Pacco de Mongrel

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2003, 3:13 AM

Post #11 of 51 (6994 views)
Shortcut

o0oh... lol Laugh dad like doggy...end up mom take care...hehe

There are a few reasons...how old was the pup when u bought him? Usually the certs are only ready by the time a pup is abt 6 mths old(depending how early the breeder sends the form in and it's slow coz of the processing and registration). Also, either of the parents might not be registered, or both. Or simply..the breeder thinks it's too troublesome to register the pups..

or *worst* case...it might not be purebred Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2003, 5:23 AM

Post #12 of 51 (6993 views)
Shortcut

regarding wether he is pure-breed a not, i'm not sure. but it did grow up to be 100% pug.

actually i'm not so concern about a dog having cert a not. but i do wish that one day i can participate in dog show. i think it'll be a nice experience.

dogs with cert usually cost around RM1K to 2K. so maybe i need to wait until i had graduate and find myself a job, then only i can buy myself a show dog.

Pacco de Mongrel

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2003, 5:34 AM

Post #13 of 51 (6991 views)
Shortcut

then he should be pure bred..

coz sometimes breeders make an accidentor dogs are acidentally mated..say,maltese cross shih tzu's(breeds which look somewhat alike) and for ppl who don't know the breed well, esp when they are pups, the breeder might con them saying that their pure bred without a cert.

Maybe you could handle/show someone's dog first Smile don't hv to buy your own dog to show....if u can't wait..Cool

If u just want to show(not necessarily win) you could just get any pet quality dog with a cert. But for a higher chance of winning,then you might hv to get a show quality dog..Smile decided on a breed yet? hehehehehe

But there are some pet quality dogs beating show quality and imports...example...Jamie Smile She's one of our member's GSD and is doing not bad in the show ring.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

tykf_2001
New User

Nov 9, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #14 of 51 (6989 views)
Shortcut

hm hm....

my dob just taken the wrap away from its ear... the first day the ears are standing but now days drop down.... i`m not sure why...really worry if one day it wont stands...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2003, 5:52 PM

Post #15 of 51 (6987 views)
Shortcut

the first dog that i'm going to buy is GSD. i love them the most. actually i used to like siberian husky too, but ppl said that they need air-cond wan, so is quite troublesome for me. old english sheepdog looks adorable too, but it hard to take care due to their extreme thick coat.

so GSD will be the best choice for me.

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Nov 9, 2003, 5:53 PM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 6:16 AM

Post #16 of 51 (6983 views)
Shortcut

better take her to the vet a.s.a.p.. the longer the ears are down, the higher the chance of it not standing. When the tape/wrap comes off, it should stand.

if u can..wrap it and tape it to a cup...not sure if u know what i mean. The cup(paper cup that can fit like a hat on her head) should be put between the ears and act like a stand. Tape the ears to it..use the special bandage (this is after the vet visit and if the ears still don't stand)

When you take her back to the vet, tell the vet the problem and keep the wraps on as long as u feel comfortable with. Btw, is it all healed? If not, u'll hv to take her back to the vet for more times to change the wrapping. If it is, take her to the vet..tell her prob and keep it on as long as you feel comfortable with, only taking the wraps/tape off to clean her ears. Some vets recommend to keep the wraps on for a certain length of time..but i feel that it's more important that the wraps stay on until the ears are erect. Rather keep them on longer and have the ears stand than listen to the vet and hv the ears down, provided of course you know how to care for his ears.

Here's a thread on ear cropping..

http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

The dane, Raven has been wearing the wraps for abt 4-5 mths now and the tip is still a little bent/dropping. If i'm not mistaken he still wears the wraps and cup till this day..and the dane is abt 6 mths old.

All the best with thingsSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Nov 10, 2003, 6:23 AM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 6:39 AM

Post #17 of 51 (6975 views)
Shortcut

aah...okSmile

so which "type" do u fancy?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 6:33 PM

Post #18 of 51 (6973 views)
Shortcut

what do you actually mean by fancy? i like giant size dog!!

Pacco de Mongrel

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 11:30 PM

Post #19 of 51 (6968 views)
Shortcut

meaning which type of GSD do you like... Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 11:39 PM

Post #20 of 51 (6967 views)
Shortcut

i don't know anything about that. can you plz explain to me what type of GSD are available?

Pacco de Mongrel

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2003, 12:14 AM

Post #21 of 51 (6965 views)
Shortcut

Well, I'm no GSD expert so I'll explain what I know.

Remember I said even for pure breds, their looks still vary? Same for the GSD'S(and all the other breeds too).

In general, the GSD's bred in Germany and Europe have a heavier build and a back that is not as arched as the American type. The American type is slimmer,lighter boned and have a back which is more arched.

Within Europe/Germany there are different "types" so to speak. Some are really big till some ppl argue that it's too big. Bigger than the original GSD which Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (the founder of GSD) bred. Some say that it's too big till it's not agile enough. So the debate goes on and on. There are also other issues being debated.

There are also working line GSD's. These GSD's are bred for work. They also can be shown in the conformation shows if they have good enough conformation to the breed standard. A good percentage of them do well both in the show ring and schutzhund field.

hm..i think that's abt it...Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 2:56 AM

Post #22 of 51 (6963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer, Amanda] Dobermann [In reply to] Can't Post

Amanda/RD, Hope I'm not disturbing in this topic as I see maybe I can assist a little here.

Depending on what you wanted to look for in a dog. From your post it seams you are looking at a pet dog. That being the case I would recomend that you look for a very strong tempremented dog with good nerves. Once you have those they are going to turn out great pets plus you will have good options to OBED them too. Working lines are a better bet in this case as they are less polluted in the area of temprementally sound GSD. They are generally a "happier dog" if you brought them up fairly.

If you are into Shows and wanted to compete I guess your best bet is to get a showline GSD. However your chances are pretty slim if you dont pay top dollars and even if you did.......you may not really get a really good one. Even importing one is not a guarantee as top show dogs will usually not be leaving their show owners unless for killer prices. you have to watch out for the temprements and really test them throughly as show dogs are at risk of being weak in those areas due to them being bread primarily for beauty. Also watch out for health problem which is known here.

Some are really big till some ppl argue that it's too big. Bigger than the original GSD which Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (the founder of GSD) bred. Some say that it's too big till it's not agile enough. So the debate goes on and on. There are also other issues being debated.

The overly big ones mentioned here is Shiloh or King shepherd. These are out of standard and not recognised as GSD. Anyway you said it right that they are too big for the work. Probably wont even last 1KM of endurance before splaying flat. In other words they look imposing but really has nothing much in them functionally.

There are also working line GSD's. These GSD's are bred for work. They also can be shown in the conformation shows if they have good enough conformation to the breed standard. A good percentage of them do well both in the show ring and schutzhund field

Actually because a working GSD is bread primarily for its nerve, temprements, working ability, Intelligence, trainability and secondary for the looks and angulations they are generally not expected to win in conformation show rings. However if you compared them against the early models of GSD during Max Stephanitz time, you will see that the working lines retains the old GSD real look. Nevertheless, working lines breeders does check for overly non conformation before deciding to breed too to keep some physical look, so sometimes they get lucky and some pure working line blood is also known to get V ratings or SG ratings in confirmation. Actually working lines people will be happy to just target of getting G rating in a today's confirmation ring. Apparently the "G" today is the standards of Siegers in the yesteryears before conformation and working lines start to break apart.

Hope that helps.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2003, 7:41 AM

Post #23 of 51 (6959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer, PSD] Dobermann [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot for your explanation. actually i'm intending to buy myself a GSD in the future.

about the hip dyplasia problem. are they born to have HD or they can develop HD after they are born?

Pacco de Mongrel

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #24 of 51 (6958 views)
Shortcut

Amanda,

I may be biased here cause I'm a GSD person but just to share some experience with you. I too was like you before and as many whom had gone through in deciding the ultimate breed. I had considered Malinois, Rotts, Doberman......much more before I settle for GSD. Reason being, I was attracted by the total versatility of a GSD, it may not be a breed that is the fastest, not the most agile, not the most intelligent, not the most crazy in protection work. But none of the other dogs has everything as complete to challenge the value of GSD in all those departments combined. Of course I may be drawing some fire here but just to qualify my statements here, it is in my own humble opinion.

About Hip Dysplasia it is both genetics and environment as I sees it. Genetics in a sense that the dog is born with it and environment that a normal dog is being over fed, overweight, overgrown, over excercised too soon too early. Out of the above, the environment is within our control and with a few knowledge and knowhow this can be easily practised.

The key is selecting your dog from a pool of low or none HD risk. That part needs a lot of research work. As a general rule of thumb, showdogs have a higher risk of this while working GSD has almost none of this risk genetically. Reason being HD will usually appear within 2 years of the dogs age. If any working dog has HD they will fail the working test and they will not be bread. Therefore the working stock out of well cared for breeding will give you an almost guarantee of HD free. A responsible breeder will be able to tell you all these and explain in details if you spend more time with him.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2003, 11:37 PM

Post #25 of 51 (6952 views)
Shortcut

both..

PSD's post is good and has the information needed. He is one of puppy.com's resident GSD si fu Wink or is he the only one..

Perhaps you could do more research on the breed. Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Nov 12, 2003, 12:26 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my