Brushing your Dog

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

May
Old Hand

Nov 4, 2003, 5:53 PM

Post #1 of 40 (4131 views)
Shortcut
Brushing your Dog Can't Post

I have a shih tzu mix and I always brush her thoroughly 3 times a week and before bath with a slicker brush and steel comb. However I noticed that the professional done a much more better job and leave her with a more managable and shiny coat after brushing. The groomer even use the de-matting comb eventhough there's not matt or tangle in her coat.

Another thing is my dog will try to snap my hand whenever I tug her skin during combing but she will tolerate the groomer pulling and tugging. Why?

Can some sifu give some guidance on how to brush our dog properly? Really appreciate that.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 4, 2003, 6:41 PM

Post #2 of 40 (4127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

i think maybe she's afraid of stranger touching them.

i experience the same thing when i bring my mongrel to the vet to have her vaccine. at 1st i'm worried that she will be moving all about or jump up when the vet injected her.

but it turns out to be an obedient dog, not the one at home. something like suffering from dissociative personality disorder.

she didn't not move at all when i put her up. when the vet touch her, she just keep on staring at him. when the vet gave her the injection, she did not respond also.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

nathalie
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 6:47 AM

Post #3 of 40 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

amanda's right. sometimes they r afraid of strangers.....however, we must know that professionals r equipped with the skill to cool n calm ur dogs. they know the method to best hold ur doggies so that they'll not hurt then n at the same time does not get bitten by the dogSmile

a dematting is used when grooming a long hair dog even though she does not have tangle to ensure that the hair is free from tangle.....the coat is shinier after their brushing may be due to the use of grooming conditioner or coat polish to enhance the shine n part the hairWink

nickanna
Canine Addict

Nov 5, 2003, 8:42 AM

Post #4 of 40 (4110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda!!

Dunno whether it's true but someone told me dat pups/doggies can sense that they are in a vet (awaiting to be treated) and they will definately well-behaved.. observed tis and it's true for all my 3 dogs/pups.. wonder if other dog/pup owners experienced this..?? Tongue

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 8:48 AM

Post #5 of 40 (4109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85,nathalie] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

"Another thing is my dog will try to snap my hand whenever I tug her skin during combing but she will tolerate the groomer pulling and tugging. Why? "

how can the dog be afraid of the stranger...when the dog snaps at her owner and not the groomer....unless the dog sees her owner as a stranger? Crazy
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2003, 9:18 AM

Post #6 of 40 (4105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

i think when amanda wrote that the dog may be afraid of strangers... it meant that in a way the dog would not budge so much... when u r afraid of something u tend to stay still... get me?

though other dogs, when they are afraid, they tend to snap... so to me it's dog by dog basis...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 9:27 AM

Post #7 of 40 (4104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

oh..right...

just read through the whole post..Blush

but unless the dog is poorly socialized..i think the dog is afraid of the smell at the vets place. Many dogs hv been there...so it's confusing and scary for the lil dog. Not so afraid of the vet.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 9:32 PM

Post #8 of 40 (4098 views)
Shortcut

well...i think when you take your dog to the groomer, some professional ones will use good quality shampoos to bathe your dog and that'd leave the dog's hair more managable and soft. as shih tzus are mostly long-haired, after you bathe and blow dry them their hair will get tangled up, esp at the armpits area. sometimes you don't see the mat/tangle until you've brushed the coat. as for pulling and tugging at matting/tangled hair, don't just pull at the hair. it's like what you would do when you are trying to untangle your own hair. you brush from the ends first to make sure there are no mats/tangles. then you brush from the middle till the end (if the hair is long). then you proceed to brush from the base of the hair till the tip. if there're tangles/mats, hold the hair in 1 hand and then brush it out with the other hand. don't pull the hair forcefully. the tip is to minimise the pain of tugging at the skin by holding the hair first before brushing it out. hope this helps. Smile

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

May
Old Hand

Nov 6, 2003, 1:22 AM

Post #9 of 40 (4091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks.

I've been doing what you have mentioned but the result is not that impressive. I guess I have to put in more time to learn the art of grooming my dog.

Cheers!!!

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 2:12 AM

Post #10 of 40 (4089 views)
Shortcut

no prob!

since you are girl, and if you have long hair you'd know how to do a shih tzu's. it's the same principles. Smile

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 2:44 AM

Post #11 of 40 (4088 views)
Shortcut

i think is becoz kinki is still consider a puppy. and she will afraid at stranger. but i think an adult dog will snap at stranger.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 2:46 AM

Post #12 of 40 (4087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickanna] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

after i told my parents about kinki is so well behaved in the vet, they said that is because they are afraid of doctors :)
they said that even kids is afraid of going to clinic.
haha.....

Pacco de Mongrel

nickanna
Canine Addict

Nov 6, 2003, 7:09 AM

Post #13 of 40 (4083 views)
Shortcut

hahaha..ya lor.. dats why now doctors stock up some candies for the children..Smile

and u know what, some vet i went to in KL also prepared treats for the dogs.. so, "han fuk".. Tongue

nathalie
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 8:16 AM

Post #14 of 40 (4080 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

maybe u can try putting coat polish from BIogroom after u blow dry...so that it'll shine n look lustrousSmile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 8:59 AM

Post #15 of 40 (4079 views)
Shortcut

true...

but...the dog is snapping at her owner..not a stranger..Crazy

P.S. not all adults will snap though
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

May
Old Hand

Nov 6, 2003, 7:49 PM

Post #16 of 40 (4076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice. Got to do some shopping this weekend to get the grooming tools......sigh.....sure burn a hole in my pocket.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 1:18 AM

Post #17 of 40 (4074 views)
Shortcut

really?! but usually kinki will not accept the new treat that i bought for her. when she first saw it and don't know what is that, she 'll bark at it and use her paw to pat at it. very cute ler....

Pacco de Mongrel

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 1:20 AM

Post #18 of 40 (4073 views)
Shortcut

erm.... then maybe her snap is not that agressive type wan. not attacking the owner.

Pacco de Mongrel

nickanna
Canine Addict

Nov 7, 2003, 6:04 AM

Post #19 of 40 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Your Kinki is a really cute and curious lil fella..hehehe Smile . So, you must have very litle problem feeding her... How old is she??

nathalie
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 7:43 AM

Post #20 of 40 (4065 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

u only buy them once but can use forever...more worth it than buying treats, rite?Smile

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Nov 7, 2003, 7:44 AM

Post #21 of 40 (4065 views)
Shortcut

hi may,

hmm..what uve encounter is not unusual. a lot of owners complaint about this grooming thingy. well dogs r just like babies..when they r at baby sitter, they tend to behave better than at hom,e with parents.its bcos they can sense tht owners will give in to them so they try to be a bit naughty lah when owners groomed then.Wink where else groomers are a stranger to a dog therefore they tend to behave well and knows tht its not mummmy or daddy that they can be bossy around..ehehe..as for the hair part,,,brush your dog layer by layer, it can help to check for tangles and also by this way u r not only brushing the outer layer but also the inner layer and massage the skin also which will gives out the natural oil. spray your dog with coat shine after bath and blow dry..it will make a lot of difference..especially when u have a long hair dogSmile
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

May
Old Hand

Nov 7, 2003, 5:40 PM

Post #22 of 40 (4061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, you are right.

After seeing the groomer grooming my dog, I guess it isn't that hard to do it. All we need are the co-operation from the dog and practise, practise, practise. I thought of purchasing a clipper too. Any recommendation?

May
Old Hand

Nov 7, 2003, 5:51 PM

Post #23 of 40 (4060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Brushing your Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with you.

My dog is very manja and naughty. Sometimes she doesn't even let me touch her leg or tail.....a very conceited fella. When at the groomer place, I was surprised she can tolerate all the pulling and tugging. Once a while she will make noise due to the pain. I wonder why the groomer so rough on her. Aren't they train to be gentle when grooming the dog or is it how the dog should be handled?

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Cheers!!!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 8:41 PM

Post #24 of 40 (4059 views)
Shortcut

the pic in the avatar was taken when she was 4 months old. now she is 6 months old.
i have register her for the training class, just wish that she can behave well during the lesson.

Pacco de Mongrel

nathalie
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2003, 6:54 AM

Post #25 of 40 (4052 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

heard one brand quite goodlah but very pricey...oster...cost around 800-800RM....Frown

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my