Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2003, 9:17 AM

Post #1 of 35 (5909 views)
Shortcut
How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? Can't Post

Does anybody have dogs that is always licking and for I don't know what reason is pulling off their own hair?Crazy

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2003, 9:44 AM

Post #2 of 35 (5907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there anything wrong with the skin?

perhaps there's something that cannot be seen with the naked eye.

or it might be a habit...if so, you'll hv to train her not to. Or use an e-collar.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 7:09 AM

Post #3 of 35 (5891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
No skin problem that I know of and I did bring her to the vet but he says it is nothing and that the patches do not look serious..if he were to take a scrapping test the results will not show anythin too...but that is two weeks ago and the habit is still going on ... not so much of pulling the hair anymore...it is more of the licking the paw that I am worried now...If it is a habit I can handle but if it is an allergy How will I know what is it that is bothering her?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 8:14 AM

Post #4 of 35 (5889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Patches? can u describe the patches a little more..?

hmm...hv u tried trimming the fur between the digits and around the paws? and hv a look..is it damp?

If it's an allergy..u hv to take the "risk" and change her diet..Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2003, 8:24 PM

Post #5 of 35 (5885 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

A normally healthy dog will not lick or scratch excessively ... certain a dog with good coat/skin condition will not lick until patches appear on its coat.

You wrote: " ... I did bring her to the vet but he says it is nothing and that the patches do not look serious..if he were to take a scrapping test the results will not show anythin too ..."

If by the above you mean that your vet (without doing a scraping) actually told you that a scraping would not reveal anything of consequence - then ... hmmm ...

From your description ... there is a possibility that your dog may have the beginnings of "hot-spots".

Hot spots can be the result of allergies, skin (bacterial/fungal) infection and/or stress ... hot spots and other possible causes of itching, licking & scratching have been previously discussed extensively.

Try this thread : http://www.puppy.com.my/...g=hot%20spots;#73016

But do a search on "hot spots" and read all the related threads in the forum ... and you may find the postings of some assistance.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 5, 2003, 8:30 PM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2003, 9:34 PM

Post #6 of 35 (5879 views)
Shortcut

you may try to bathe the dog with mild tea tree oil...that'd soften their skin and it's anti-bacteriala and anti-fungal as well....

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 8:06 AM

Post #7 of 35 (5874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

HI surchinmy ,

Thanks for the advise...hot spots? I'll read up on that....thanx again...

Hi kesuke,

thanks too for the tip but I have just bought a new bottle of oat meal shampoo which is also anti bacteria and anti fungal... I'll keep to that coz it is showing some improvement on the coat....

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2003, 7:53 PM

Post #8 of 35 (5868 views)
Shortcut

Hi ya ...

Please remember its very hard to diagnose what is causing the licking/sctatching on your dog without actually seeing the dog. If at all in doubt - please consult a good vet ... a vet who understands the function of skin scrapings/cultures/blood tests and such ... and is prepared to take time to diganose possible coat/skin conditions.

Check out this thread:

http://www.puppy.com.my/...n%20condition;#67063

Assuming that your doggie is developing hotspots ... will suggest the following sequence:

(a) The 1st step is to stop the doggie from licking the spot/s and aggravating the condition. If necessary place an E-collar on the dog. If the cycle of lick/itch/lick is not broken - the hot spot/s can get more severe, resulting in loss of fur and even open sores, which in turn can bring about other complications.

You can also apply various natural solutions topically, to help reduce itching and destroy bacteria, fungus etc that may have infected the spot (eg: lemon or salt solution ... see the thread on mange) ... or use a solution made from diluted Bactraban cream (antiboitic) mixed in water or peroxide, to clean the spots regularly to promote healing.

(b) The 2nd step is to try and identify the cause of the hotspots. This is the difficult part and you need to do some research on the possible causes of hotspots and carry out a process of elimination.

Improved nutrition is of immense benefit ... Check out threads on BARF type diets & supplements.

This is a tedious and time consuming process ... but well worth the effort when you see your dog's condition improve.

Cheers

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 6:52 AM

Post #9 of 35 (5864 views)
Shortcut

HI surchinmy,

Thanks for the detail info. I really appriciate it and will check out the site you recommanded....I'll keep you updated on Ladee's progress...Ladee says thanks too....

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 7:18 AM

Post #10 of 35 (5863 views)
Shortcut

HI surchinmy ,
I am going thru the disscussion you recomended and you seem to know alot about the skin issue...just wondering..are you a vet yourself?...your knowledge seems to suggest so....

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 9:07 AM

Post #11 of 35 (5862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

After reading the conversation you had between KESUKE, it seema that my Ladee has about the same symptom as her dog. Ladee started licking her paws frequently in the beginning and then I noticed that the hair around the paws was thinning.Later I discovered that hair around the hind legs and near her butt was also thinning but in patches. The thing is these patches is not red nor does have rashes...just hair loss.... other than licking and the occasional pulling off hair, she is still active and lively...

You mention to her did she give raw hide...is there something wrong with that? coz I give them to Ladee...Incase it will help Ladee does not tolerate walks outdoors as after sniffing the ground outdoors she will vomit usually at night or the next morning ...so I do not let her out the house not even the house garden....but she does go along when I bring the bigger dogs out except she does not walk but rides in a buggy raised inches above the ground....

You also did mention to bring dogs to a good vet ...do you know of any that has good experience with skin/coat condition? I live in PJ, selangor... I have not started using the E collar on Ladee coz she is obedient and stops licking or bite when we sees her doing it....plus she is around ppl all day so that leaves her not time on her own to lick away...

I am currently feeding her ekanuba lamb &rice and will get her the cod liver oil and omega 3&6 supplement to help improve her skin....as for shampoo I am using oatmeal shampoo for anti bacterial and fungus....

I agree with you when you say that most vet only gives medication to supress the condition and not find out what is the real problem....my friend had to put a shih tzu down earlier this year coz of severe skin condition that cannot be cured... all the time when the dog was alive she has spent hundreds to look for a cure and all possible test she did came without any conclusion....it finally came to a point that she cannot bear to see her pet suffer any longer....she and her pet battle the problem for almost three years....Unsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2003, 10:11 PM

Post #12 of 35 (5857 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

No, am not a vet ... just same same like you ... have dogs and have had to learn along the way ... Smile

Raw hide:

While many people seem to be able go give rawhide to their dogs, apparently without problems, I am personally, not keen on raw hide for the following reasons:

(a) Generally when we give new products to our dogs, we observe them quite carefully ... and we have noticed that itching & scratching increase when we give raw hide ... so we stopped and provide other treats and chews instead. A good alternative is actually sugar cane or coconut husk, both are natural and do not appear to contain any allergns (that cause skin problems).

(b) Raw hide is generally "preserved" animal skin, usually from cows or pigs ... It seems a little contrary to spend so much effort & money on providing the best natural food or kibble, using the best medicated or specalised shampoo etc etc ... and then feed our doggies with a product that has preservatives ... Crazy

(c) Finally, raw hide tends to expand and swell when wet ... and that may under certain circumstances be of some concern ... Also, its kinda messy ... *laughs*

You wrote: " ... Ladee does not tolerate walks outdoors as after sniffing the ground outdoors she will vomit usually at night or the next morning ... so I do not let her out ... even the house garden .. but she does go along ... but rides in a buggy raised inches above the ground ..."

It sounds like Ladee is very sensitive ... do you use insecticide/fertiliser etc in your garden?

It does seems a little restrictive not to let a doggie get a good run every now and again. Maybe you can try but do it under close supervision and see how that goes ...

You wrote: " ... I am currently feeding her ek**uba lamb &rice ... cod liver oil and omega 3&6 supplement ... using oatmeal shampoo for anti bacterial and fungus ..."

I believe that proper diet & nutrition is very important in the effort to maintain good coat, skin & health (just like for people) ... More than kibble or supplements, I believe that introducing a more natural, raw & a wider variety of food components into your dog's diet is always a good idea, such as raw (or lightly cooked or scalded) meats, appropriate raw bones, blended veggies & fruit ... Fresh & natural foods greatly improve a dog's health. Do check out the various threads on dog nutrition & BARF diets.

Vets:

As for vets, if you wish you can email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com ...

Cheers Smile

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2003, 9:53 AM

Post #13 of 35 (5852 views)
Shortcut

SmileThanks alot for the consideration and effort you put in to answer all my questions... I really appriciate your kindness...

I think your reason for the raw hide is very logical and for all the time I have been giving it to my dog I have failed to notice that... thumbs up for you for being such an abserving and thoughtful owner.. I must learn to be a more responsible and detailed owner like you...

As for the food... I will consider to add vegie and fruits to my doggie diet gradually...

Just wondering ... have you any idea if KESUKE's doggie has recovered?

(This post was edited by ladee_m on Nov 8, 2003, 9:55 AM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 8, 2003, 11:25 AM

Post #14 of 35 (5846 views)
Shortcut

You are most welcome ... Smile ...

Maybe you can post Kesuke and find out how her doggie is doing ... am sure she won't mind ... just pick up a posting with her name and send her a message ... Smile ...

Cheers

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2003, 3:03 AM

Post #15 of 35 (5827 views)
Shortcut

hi ladee~!

now i found the thread on your dog's condition....

well....to add in on what i've written to you earlier...his belly and hind legs where the hair was thinning are all dark...sorta like dirt or something...and if you scrape gently the dark thingy skin will come off....so i guess it's some sort of infection or something...coz the healthy skin is pink with no pus or anything... and a friend of my bro told me that his dog has the same problem as my billy....and he says he used anti-tick solution on his dog for a few days to kill off all the ticks and then the skin problem healed by itself....that's why i suspect the problem might have something to do with ticks...

btw....what are you feeding your ladee?

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2003, 7:02 AM

Post #16 of 35 (5826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Kesuke...Smile

Thanks for taking the effort to hunt me down... bathing Ladee with anti tick solution is what I am doing too.... I am starting to sound kiasu....but for my doggie I just wanna make sure that I am on the right track....

You mention,:"his belly and hind legs where the hair was thinning are all dark...sorta like dirt or something"..... I saw a pruduct from Frontline today in the pet supplies store and it mention about Spots on dogs....it is suppose to help tick allergy dermititis... do you think that is what our dogs have....but Ladee has no dark spots nor any area on her body shows that symptom....

I am feeding Ladee dry food - Ekanuba lamb & rice (puppy)...her problem started when I fed her Proplan's new formula for small breed dogs....

this is really mind boggling...this skin problem...Frown

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 14, 2003, 7:50 AM

Post #17 of 35 (5819 views)
Shortcut

haha..you are not kiasu...i'm same case here...bathing my boy everyday just to stop him from scratching...must be damn itchy and uncomfortable with the pimple thingy....Crazy

yeah...i guess it's tick allergy demartitis.....but if your ladee doesn't show any symptoms same to my billy...maybe it's different? have you brought your dog to a vet? you know, frontline doesn't really work on my dog....it's very effective on the first application but on the 2nd application it only last for a week before i spotted ticks again.....dunno why......

and since you said the prob started only when you switched food then it's most probably the new brand is causing the allergic reaction.....did you stop feeding her that? maybe you should try feeding her BARF....fresh foods....

yeah....skin prob is very hard case.....UnsureFrown

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 14, 2003, 8:50 AM

Post #18 of 35 (5818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] How to stop doggie from licking and pulling hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi KesukeSmile

I guess we are just being paranoid parents who really love our petsAngelic ...you bath your doggie daily?are you not afraid that it might cause the skin to be too dry...?I read somewhere that overbathing is not good coz it will dry the coat and skin...coz doggies produce some kind of oil on their body to make the cout look shinny.

you mention pimples? where does the pimples appear?

I did bring Ladee to the vet and he doesn't think it is anything serious...but he said that doing a blood test will be good just to be sure Ladee is free from any form of genetics disorder... sometimes something internal that w ecannot see...so I will bring her to the vet soon...

right now I am using a consentrated anti tick solution named Bayticol... after you shampoo the dog,just need a small amount and mixed with water(the mesurement is given) then pour it over the dog and leave to soak for awhile then rinse with water... it works quite well for Ladee but i just do not use it wery often coz dun like the smell...

as for the food, I have switch brand and now just have to wait to see if the new brand is suitable... so far so good but she still does her licking once in awhile...like I said skin problem is so tricky that we cannot rule out for sure which is exactly is the cause... when you think you have got the answer it will turn and prove you wrongUnsure

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 17, 2003, 6:56 AM

Post #19 of 35 (5807 views)
Shortcut

hahah...yeah, paranoid and want our dogs to be free of itch and pain.. yes i know bathing daily is not good...but what to do? he's itching and bathing him really helps to ease the itch...i'll stop the daily baths to maybe 2 or 3 days once if the itching diminish...
well, the pimples can appear anywhere! on his back, at the ribcage there, in his inner thigh, the rear end.....CrazyCrazy

hey...your vet is good...at least he's willing to do a blood test on ladee....mine just told me it's fungal infection and gave me a solution....duh!! Pirate

i'm using tactic for billy for the ticks....i don't use it often also...the smells sucks!!! damn smelly man.......Crazy

yeah..skin problem is a big problem.....you just never know for sure what triggers it....Unsure glad to know ladee is getting better......Smile

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 18, 2003, 8:29 AM

Post #20 of 35 (5802 views)
Shortcut

Hi KesukeSmile

I think you should find another vet... and ask for a second opinion... I have consulted around and was thinking of taking Ladee to see another vet if her skin did not get better... you know that vets in m'sia are not really expert in every type of problems... some are better at giving jabsLaugh, some for flu, others for skin problems... and there are those who are not even real vetsCrazy...I had an insider who told me many vets in kl and Pj are not certified... some of them are just possers and practising without a licence... many ppl do not know this and assume that they are genuineUnsure

thanks for caring for Ladee and I hope your doggie will get better soon...your dog is a golden rite? my bf owns 2 goldens too... about the pimples, just a suggestion: do read up about juvenile pyoderma... it sounds like what you describe your dogs condition is like... but I may be wrong...

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 18, 2003, 8:57 PM

Post #21 of 35 (5799 views)
Shortcut

yeah....so bad for dog owners in m'sia.....having fake vets...sheessshhh.....Crazy

juvenile pyoderma? okie...i'll look it up...thanks for the tip....Wink

hopefully both our dogs wil get better in time.....Smile

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 18, 2003, 9:30 PM

Post #22 of 35 (5797 views)
Shortcut

i have looked up JP....from the signs described...don't think billy is having JP....but still gonna read up more....

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 19, 2003, 7:58 AM

Post #23 of 35 (5792 views)
Shortcut

HiSmile

Hope that Billy will get better soon...

The weather in our country is not very suitable for dogs like yours and mine that is why so much skin problems... especially goldens...

Is your Billy imported or lacal bread?... can I see a photo of him? How old is he? I used to own many dogs when I was young but never knew about any breed till I met my bf, he thought me alot and now I find it interesting to survey about different breeds... they all have different characters... but my favourites now are goldens and poodles simply coz I own them and know them better and that they are really smart dogs...Wink

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 20, 2003, 10:36 PM

Post #24 of 35 (5788 views)
Shortcut

yeah....i guess the weather's the main factor here.....Unsure

billy is a local breed....the breeder is from kl.....i'll have his photo ready soon...hopefully lah...gonna borrow digicam from my friend first....ehhehe.....billy is now 2 yrs and 8 mths....how old is ladee?

wow...glad you found someone who thought you alot about dogs....me...i've always been interested in dogs....maybe coz my dad was a dog lover too...so pass on to me....hehehe.....in fact, i think whole family but just i'm the crazy dog lover...hahahha........

ladee_m
Doggyman

Nov 24, 2003, 8:38 AM

Post #25 of 35 (5780 views)
Shortcut

HiSmile

Ladee is 7 monyhs plus going to 8 months...

Your Billy is of the american linage or the english linage...I notice that the americans goldens are more compact in size and the colour of the coat is rally golden as compared to the english linage who have lighter colouration more of cream...are you planning to breed your billy?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my