IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Help~! Bathing problem

Twenko

Nov 1, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Help~! Bathing problem Can't Post

Crazy Aiya... haven't been here in a long time. Assignments and exams are such a pain in the neck.

Anyway.... Crazy I need some advice from you guys. My Abby gets very aggitated ( or the best word to describe it : aggressive ) during bath time.

When she was about 2 months old, we bathe her in a tub. Now, we bathe her outside. Thing is, when we lather her with shampoo, she's biting our hands and growling. She was especially aggressive when we use water to wash off the shampoo.

We never use cold water, only lukewarm water. Can anyone tell me what to do? I don't want her to have this problem, otherwise, I won't be able to bathe her when she's grown up.

PLEASE HELP~!

~ Twenko

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

My beloved furkids :
Abby, the Lickin' Champ - 7 months, Dober-Rott
Chelsea, the Eating Champ - 6 months, G.R
Jane, the Jumpin' Champ - 8 months, Shih Tzu

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2003, 6:10 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Twenko] Help~! Bathing problem [In reply to] Can't Post

hie!

i think the aggresion might be due to some bad experience bathing last time. u mentioned she was especially aggresive when u use water to wash off the shampoo.. hmm, maybe last time the shampoo accidently got into her eyes which irriated her :/ ?

have u tried bathing her without shampoo? maybe she's not okay with the shampoo thing right now. perhaps u can bath with plain water for her and slowly slowly introduce the shampoo again (little by little)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2003, 7:57 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1531 views)
Shortcut

agree with hunter. Smile

or u could try making bathing fun? but that would be a mess....Tongue
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Twenko

Nov 2, 2003, 4:42 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Help~! Bathing problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy well... the shampoo did get into her eyes once... maybe that's the problem. The whole bathing experience was fun... until the shampoo part.

Funny thing is... Abby LOVES to play with water. I've a large water tank ( collecting rain water to water the plants; my dad's a self-appointed 'water man' for the plants outside my house ).

Whenever the tank's full, she'll dip her head into the tank and blow bubbles or bark in the water. It's just that she don't like us grabbing her and scrubbing her body. I tried to bathe her without using a chain twice but she kept jumping around like a kangaroo, so I'm forced to use a chain so she won't jump around. Is the chain a bad idea? Unsure

Oh, another thing is : Is it normal for a 2-month old pup to gain 11 pounds in a month? I'm afraid I might be over-feeding her.

~ Twenko

PS : Thanks for the help, Hunter and RealityDreamer.

My beloved furkids :

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2003, 5:19 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Maybe u would want to refrain from washing her on the head directly with shampoo & water. I have a fear of getting water into my puppy's ears and shampoo getting into his eyes so I always use a small towel, wipe him with soapy water all over his face (avoid the eyes and make sure the part where you clean the ears the cloth is squeezed properly). Then I'll wipe off with clean water a few rounds. After this only I start on his body.

My puppy used to whine when I started his first two baths. Whenever he starts to whine, I'll just say to him "No...shhhh". The moment he shuts up I'll praise him...all the "GOOOD boy, Clever boy" etc. Now he's 9 months old. Bathing time no problem. He'll just stand there quietly but I still continue to praise him Smile

The chain...it depends on how you normally use it. Do you normally chain her up as punishment or to restrict her movements (ie she's jumping around when visitors are here so you chain her up)? If so, she might associate the chain as 'punishment'. My first dog was very hyper during baths and hated water. So I did chain him up too. But I'll chain him up and spend the first 2 mins playing with him, scratching belly & neck etc first before I start. During bath time, again I'll praise him when he's still and quiet.

hehe...good thing u start right with her now. She's a rottweiler rite? Would be hard to train once she starts to grow huge Cool

Good luck!

mackmack
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2003, 7:10 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Try to give ur dog a good massage, she would enjoy bathing them~ and give her a good scrach!Wink

Good Luck!

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2003, 9:07 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1519 views)
Shortcut

ahh, like michelle said, don't shampoo the head. well, don't even wet the dog's head.. some dogs just hates it. u can just use a damp cloth and wipe your dog's face after her bath.

if she loves to play with the water then i presume it's not a big problem. she just hates shampooing. it's okay to leash her to control her movement. what chain are u using? don't use a choke chain on her during bathing.. that'll be like punishing her during baths... a normal collar with a normal leash would do.

remember, lots of praiseCool. my suggestion would be try bathing her with small amounts of shampoo first. then the next bath increase the amount, and increase and increase...

after bath, treat her! Cool

ps : uhh, am not sure... does she look FAT to u Shocked? u should be able to feel her ribs without much problem if she's not overweight. if she's not overweight, then just let the growing process naturally increase Smileb'sides, don't forget she's a rottweiler Cool

Whenever the tank's full, she'll dip her head into the tank and blow bubbles or bark in the water.

LOL. wonder how does the bark in water sound? "Wrrroook!!!" "wrrrruuueeek!!!!"
LaughLaugh

regards,
hunter

(This post was edited by hunter on Nov 2, 2003, 9:18 PM)

Twenko

Nov 3, 2003, 4:38 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Help~! Bathing problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys~! Thanks for replying!

I'll try the method that you guys suggested. Hope it works (^_^) Her bath time is this Thursday.

To Cshellz ::
As for the chain, that'll be the first time I'm using it on her. I never punish her with a chain, only the occasional 'rotan dance' in front of her. I use a nylon-like leash and leather collar on her during walks.

::
She loves belly rubs but loves food more than anything. Laugh

Hunter ::
I can still see her ribs when she moves at times but her buttocks is really wide Laugh

I don't know how to describe the water barks but imagine a muffled version of a doggie bark, it sounds like that. I was so surprised when she did that. I only saw her blow bubbles through her nose once. I occasionally throw something into the tank for her to retrieve. Too bad I don't have a swimming pool. Laugh

My beloved furkids :

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my