Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Ticks,mites & fleas.

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 22, 2001, 10:47 PM

Post #1 of 20 (3790 views)
Shortcut
Ticks,mites & fleas. Can't Post

I remembered some days back,a member was asking about ticks attached to dogs. Unfortunately, I could not locate this topic.
Perhaps this particular member would like to re-post his message against mine so that I could provide you with a reply.
Regards.

May
Old Hand

Feb 6, 2002, 6:02 PM

Post #2 of 20 (3760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the most effective way to control ticks, mites and fleas? I keep my pup indoor but sometimes I still found one or two ticks on her body.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 6, 2002, 6:59 PM

Post #3 of 20 (3756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is just one or two stray ticks, remove them with a pair of blunt-nosed tweezers and destroy. After all you are duty bound to inspect you dog daily.
As for fleas. Don't play the fool Oh! They can jump and hop. Jump onto you, you become the host and they may follow you to bed. Dogs seldom got fleas, unless got pussy cat around. Tell tale sign for fleas are if you part your dog's hair and there are small and very tiny black particles like black pepper powder sticking to the root of the hair or the skin, then it is positive.
Mite is not so common, unless you house is wall to wall carpeted. The only mite you have to watch out is ear mite, which this topic has already been discussed.
When you find that you got plenty plenty of ticks, post again and I will solve your problem and tell you what is the best.
Regards.

May
Old Hand

Feb 6, 2002, 8:13 PM

Post #4 of 20 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Is this means that 1 or 2 stray ticks is normal and I do not have to buy any flea and ticks products to solve the problem?

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 6, 2002, 9:31 PM

Post #5 of 20 (3749 views)
Shortcut

It is not normal. BUT ACCEPTABLE. Strictly speaking, a dog should not have any parasites.
When the tick family is multipling and you cannot control them any longer, only then you buy tick products to solve the tick problem, by this time, your pocket will also be tick-tock tick-tock like an old grand father clock!
Got it?

May
Old Hand

Feb 6, 2002, 10:28 PM

Post #6 of 20 (3746 views)
Shortcut

Got it. Thanks.Smile

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2002, 7:51 PM

Post #7 of 20 (3735 views)
Shortcut

My dog has quite a lot of fleas/ticks... the rusty brown colored pest... Crazy yuck... Anyway, I've tried using a flea/tick spray on her before, but it didn't work. Frown Any suggestions?

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 11, 2002, 7:56 PM

Post #8 of 20 (3734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

got to feed my dogs now,check your pvt message later for suggestions, guarantee will work.

May
Old Hand

Feb 18, 2002, 7:00 PM

Post #9 of 20 (3724 views)
Shortcut

Share share will all of us here mah....... don't be so stingy...

prettycuter
Novice

Mar 14, 2002, 4:59 AM

Post #10 of 20 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Hie Uncle Deric,

Plz tell me how o control ticks.There's not only 1 or 2 but more than that.Me and my bf already bought the frontline spray but still got ticks.What to do now?It's so irritating.Plz tell me what should i do...plz.

geraldineAngelic

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 14, 2002, 6:32 AM

Post #11 of 20 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prettycuter] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have bought the frontline spray, it is the best you are using now. Just follow instructions given by frontline. Please remember, you cannot eliminate all the ticks overnight. And also remember, that frontline doesnot prevent ticks biting your dog. What it does is, when a tick bites your dog, and as soon as it sucks blood from your dog, the tick dies.
As result, death rate exceeds birth rate and over a period of time, you will eventually get rid of all this parasites.
However, when you see those big grey ticks crawling up the walls, destroy then immediately, because they are the Mama ticks and they will lay millions and millions of eggs and when these eggs hatch, the full cycle will start all over.

Andrew

Mar 14, 2002, 7:46 AM

Post #12 of 20 (3696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prettycuter] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

You might feed your dog with garlic too... Hey this really works..Well you have an option to feed them fresh garlic or in capsule.

It's really works...All of my dogs are tick & flea free. Even though they always play at my garden, they didn't caught any of them..

Well this worth a try..If you don't prefer this, just buy a frontline spray like suggested by Derrick. This spray will cost you about RM 70 i think...

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

Khoobg
Webmaster

Mar 14, 2002, 8:09 AM

Post #13 of 20 (3693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

Garlic powder rubbed liberally onto the skin may decrease the flea population on the pet. The garlic should also be sprinkled onto the pet's bedding. Some claim that feeding raw, chopped garlic is the best way to decrease the flea population on a pet. These claims have not been verified through research.

The following common food items should not be fed (intentionally or unintentionally) to dogs. This list is, of course, incomplete because we can not possibly list everything your dog should not eat.

Chocolate
Coffee and coffee grounds
Tea
Other caffeinated beverages
Onion and onion powder
Garlic (less toxic than onion)
Bones from fish, poultry or other meat sources
Macadamia nuts
Human vitamin supplements containing iron
Fat trimmings
Meat-soaked string (from turkey or rump roast)
Moldy or spoiled food
Alcoholic beverages (including eggnog)
Citrus oil extracts
Pits from peaches and plums
Mushrooms, unless safe for human consumption
Tobacco
Yeast dough
Hops
Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
Rhubarb leaves

It seem garlic help in flea control and yet it is toxic to dog

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Andrew

Mar 14, 2002, 8:20 AM

Post #14 of 20 (3691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

aiyaaa...CrazyI've made a mistake all these while. I think I'll stop giving them garlic. I'll feed them only the fish oil from now on.....

Andrew Wong

jason
Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2002, 4:49 PM

Post #15 of 20 (3689 views)
Shortcut

I got your points Andrew, thanks!
Did you mean the feeding fish oil can also prevent from ticks?
Anyway, are there any feeding substances that can be used to control parasites and yet not poisonous to dogs?

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Andrew

Mar 14, 2002, 5:07 PM

Post #16 of 20 (3687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

No Jason...Feeding fish oil is to keep dog's skin and coat healthy..

Because normally I'll give them garlic capsule and also fish oil. So because I find out garlic is toxic, I'll just give my dog fish oil as supplement only...

Andrew Wong

May
Old Hand

Mar 14, 2002, 5:32 PM

Post #17 of 20 (3685 views)
Shortcut

But our Mr Kok said feeding garlic to dog will not keep flea & tick at bay.

I used to feed my pup with 1/2 clove of raw garlic or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder a day but I have stop the practice now since my pup is flea & tick free.

I understand that raw garlic is better than garlic capsule. For small dog you can feed 1/2 clove per day and up to 2 clove for big dog. Feeding too much garlic will cause anemia.

(This post was edited by May on Mar 14, 2002, 5:47 PM)

prettycuter
Novice

Mar 14, 2002, 9:16 PM

Post #18 of 20 (3673 views)
Shortcut

hie guys,
my Billy don wanna eat garlic.and the ticks spray...huh...actually have to spray from far or very closed to the skin?the ticks lay eggs around Billy's ear.How to control ticks from there...plz...
geraldineAngelic
---prettycuter---

jason
Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2002, 1:26 AM

Post #19 of 20 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Hi Andrew,

I did find that there are garlic tablets/capsule being soid in the pet shops...how come if it is said to be poisonous to doggies?

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Andrew

Mar 15, 2002, 1:54 AM

Post #20 of 20 (3663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Ticks,mites & fleas. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason,

I saw the list by Mr. Khoo that garlic is in the list that the thing that we shouldn't give to our dog. Anyway I has to find out about this first whether it is true garlic is toxic to dog. Maybe I'll seek the vet and ask about this. Will let you know about this.
But I've fed my dog with garlic supplement for a long time and they look healthy and nothing reported wrong in their annual check up.
Anyway will find out about this matter and will let you know very soon or if any member out there that knew the actual fact about this, please give us the answer....

Andrew Wong

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my