Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
one of our babies is ill!

alicia
Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2002, 8:34 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1243 views)
Shortcut
one of our babies is ill! Can't Post

Unsuremonty, one of our dogs is ill. he is getting worse by the day and the vets don't seem to know what is happening. we have been to two and next we will try UPM. he is very precious to us and the possibility of losing him is unbearable. if anyone has any suggestions, please help.

he is a 1 year old maltese. shots and vaccines up to date. on heartgard and spot one. never had any ticks, lives indoors, eating Natura at the moment. has been on eukanuba and eagle pack.

symptoms began on tuesday night. getting progressively worse and more frequent. he will suddenly get up, whine or cry, walk/run in circles(1-3, clockwise direction) and pant and shiver. he is becoming more and more subdued. no more morning kissesUnsure. very little tail wagging. appetite slightly diminished.

ears are clear, stool is normal, bones and joints in good condition. no evident physical discomfort.

also, if anyone knows where UPM is, please could you give us directions. any help will be much appreciated.

very worried Frown

alicia and jon

valery

Oct 7, 2002, 8:53 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] one of our babies is ill! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Alicia,

I'm truly sorry and saddened to hear about Monty's condition. Just to share with you....About a year back, my Rocky boy had some pretty wierd symptoms (not walking straight, not eating, whining...) a total change in character from his feisty self, and when I took him to the vet, nothing wrong ! He continued to be disoriented and I took him to the vet a second time and they discovered that he had onset of glaucoma. That was the cause of his disorientation and nervousness. He wanted to be near people all the time and in the mornings, would not want to move out from his crate. It was totally wierd but thankfully, things got better. If you want to talk more, you can call me anytime at 019-3885564.

Hope Monty gets better,

Val

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Oct 8, 2002, 1:10 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1222 views)
Shortcut

I'm afraid I don't know what is ailing your dog. Could it be trauma? Has anything traumatic happened to Monty lately? But I suggest you get a scan. If there's no obvious reason for his symptoms, it may well be internal. Perhaps a tumor? I don't mean to scare you, but there is a very very very slight possibility, and since you obviously care very much for him, I'm sure you're willing to look for any possible reason for his discomfort to put an end to it Smile. Good luck!

-= Tisha =-

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 8, 2002, 7:28 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1214 views)
Shortcut

Alicia,

You must be worried sick. I can only imagine how you must feel like to have one of the furkids in this condition. I can only recall one almost similiar case from the symptons you've mentioned. One Miniature puppy suddenly started to walk around in circles after every 2-3 steps forward. And the eye and ear also started to droop a little. A visit to the vet found a hairline crack at the skull, most probably due to running headfirst into the house furniture while playing. No cure except to heal naturally. Owner gave puppy away which fortunately has found a new owner who loves him to bits. Now he's staying in an aircond bungalow no less!

Have you sought a second opinon from another vet? I will try to locate a map to UPM for you.

Rdgs Arthur

alicia
Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2002, 8:19 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] one of our babies is ill! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks. i have been to upm. the vet did a blood test and said that the blood it totally normal.

monty seems to be coping better with the fits. doens't seem so shaken and scared after the episodes. his appetite is also improving.

basically, we need to be very aware that hould he get worse, he'll need immediate medical attetion. if not, it'll probably be something he has to live with the rest of his life.

thanks for all the replies
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Oct 9, 2002, 1:22 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1194 views)
Shortcut

All the best! Keep us updated.

-= Tisha =-

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my