Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
train dog eating

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

KEIDOU

Oct 30, 2003, 12:42 AM

Post #1 of 84 (3631 views)
Shortcut
train dog eating Can't Post

i watch a japanese tv proggrame about their dog.....
they can train their doggie eat slow or fastest!
now my doggie dun want to eat dog food except use hand to feed her one by one doggie biscuit.
any trick can teach about this?

my doggie also like to bark or bite chirdren.......
i fell ashame when she bark at wrong time...
TongueKEIDOUTongue
ALWIZ BE NAUGHTY!
BE FUNNY
BE NAIVE

.'"'..
'
( '0' )_!)
' '
LL_ *_J

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 5:25 AM

Post #2 of 84 (3627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KEIDOU] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

"my doggie also like to bark or bite chirdren....... "

u need to socialize your doggie more....

"now my doggie dun want to eat dog food except use hand to feed her one by one doggie biscuit. "

teach her the take it or leave it saying. Leave her food where u want her to eat it from. a bowl..etc. after 20 mins..and she doesn't eat it it, take it away. Make her wait for her next meal. Be it the next day or later. The repeat the same thing. When she is really hungry she will eat. If she is a small dog, and worry that she might not have enough energy..provide her with glucose water.

Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 5:07 PM

Post #3 of 84 (3620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

geee, can make them suffer like this meh??? i cannot leh..sakit hati i...heheShocked

KEIDOU, your dog remind me of my gf colleague's dog also don't wanna eat dog food even feed by hand. Cause the doggy at 1st place already trained to eat human food ie rice, fried chicken n stuff like that. So i guess she also didn't gave her dog food until now la...hmmm

Actually, you could try to smash the dog food into smaller pieces ie using hammer to do it... then add the dog food into your doggie's normal food daily intake (rations it)..next, slowly add more of the doggy food & take less & less of the doggy normal food until you convert all the daily ration into dog food. Then the small pieces of the dog food slowly smash until unsmash...so walla...the doggy is eating the dog food...hehe Well, i don't know it will work but its basically from my logical point of view but u could give it a try...no guarantees ..just me 2 cents.. WinkWink

Well, basically i got this idea from switching from 1 brand of dog food into another Slycheaper priceSly dog food to make the dog more comfortable with the new dog food. Sly

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 5:54 PM

Post #4 of 84 (3615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rebooto] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmm...

Had the same problem with my dog last time too. She didn't quite like to eat her dry dog food. So, gave her 30mins max to finish her food. We tried to feed her by hand but she didn't want. In the end, she went hungry and another problem came up... she started to eat her own poo... Crazy

Anyway, we decided to put in a little bit of heated canned dog food mixed in her dry dog food. The eating problem went away!

Yea... Very sad to take away their food when you know they will be hungry later, but it is all part of training... Unimpressed

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2003, 5:49 AM

Post #5 of 84 (3602 views)
Shortcut

well, they're not really suffering...Tongue and besides it's their fault for being fussy. They should be thankful..ppl in other countries can't afford to keep dogs...and the dogs are the ones which might end up on dinner tablesUnimpressed

anyway, wolves(healthy) eat like one large meal every 2-3 days when food is scarce.. and they still hv enough energy to hunt.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 12:10 PM

Post #6 of 84 (3600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

agree with realitydreamer, actually taking away the dog's food is a good way in telling them to eat.

i doubt it's suffering.. we're actually playing a mind game with the dogs. they want to see who can't "last" longer -ie, how long can the dogs go on with their hunger strike, or how long the owners can withstand the pain of watching their furbabies starving :/ unfortunately, we always lose to them in the end.

initially if we couldn't stand it.. and end up finding solutions.. (like switching food, handfeed them, adding gravy and etc etc etc) that'll tell them that if the kibbles no longer suit their taste then they'll just have to do a little hunger strike and within 3 days they get to eat a new brand of kibbles/eat from owners' hand/have yummy gravy over kibbles :|

been there, done that >:| i am a slave of my dog. used to switch kibbles for like... at least 5 times because of his little hunger strikes. very frustrating to see him sit in front of the bowl and put on the "look" to me.

but of course, perhaps some dogs are not that picky and they might have other reasons for not eating their food. most often though, they are demanding for more "benefits".

but if you're willing to fulfill their demands one by one, why not :D ? after all, we love them all!

regards,
hunter

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 5:16 PM

Post #7 of 84 (3593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

ohh well, maybe you guys are right bout the taking away their food after certain period of time if they don't eat it.

as for me, i'm pretty lucky that my Tau Tau is really a MPPJ/DBKL...whatever we gave her...gasak only...but only dogs food ler....i will never give her what human eat to her...i scare when we are eating dinner then she comes begging for food....heheTongue

Ohh well, to me i've really never experience this b4...i mean not eating dog foods...yeah come to think of it....last time at my dad's dusun durian...there are couple of dog also...which well, what ever food also gasak ler..even human food and dog food...ulala even sometime they catch rat n stuff in the dusun to eat too...but they are really healthy without all the vitamins, nutri n stuff like that ...hmm wonder why??

Anyway, KEIDOU...hope your will eat doggy food soon...cheers..Cool

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 5:59 PM

Post #8 of 84 (3588 views)
Shortcut

hie

no la, there's no definite right or definite wrong way in making them eat. it's just what approach u prefer :>

lol MPPJ DBKL hehehehe. consider urself lucky! my dog is too fussy until i go on my knees also he dun eat :|

the dogs at ur dad's dusun... i presume they're mongrels? i heard that mongrels are waaaay tougher than pedigree dogs. can adapt to any food :o (i suppose, just like the wolves that live in the wild?)

regards,
hunter

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 6:08 PM

Post #9 of 84 (3586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehehe...

I know that feeling... I used to have to take each piece of kibble to feed my dog... CrazyCrazy Later, parents decided to microwave some of her food and she sapu everything! It was then, I realized... "OMG... I'm a slave to my dog"... She even had her own "ka chang" for cooking her food...

My previous dog was a mongrel but she's half-Terrier, half-something else... Yea, she used to sapu everything like DBKL but later, got fussy... Unsure Maybe its because we spoiled her?? Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 7:18 PM

Post #10 of 84 (3581 views)
Shortcut

hehe.. :)

hmmm fussy dogs arr..must psycho them...what ever in the plate is good food.. use magic...make them see what ever in the plate also KFC....TongueLaughSlySlyTongue

ohh yeah...that is word..mongrel...ohh yeah, i think they exercise more than Jack Russell Terrier...always run here and there...fight la..n stuff like that...also we always throw them in the fishing ponds...hahah so happy that fellow....swim up and come to us..and want us to throw him in a gain...

althought they are mongrel...but i consider them somewhat intelligent...i mean i teach them to sit and hand hand.a..and also the command follow...they really follow you throughout the whole walk....

there was a time..few years back..2 of them really save my mon's life...while my mom was walking in the place whereby there is a lot tall grasses (lalang)...they both caught a snake and killed it...geee,my mom was happy then..so kasi them a big fiesta to nextday....hahaha so good CoolCool

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

dmax
Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2003, 7:33 PM

Post #11 of 84 (3578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Talking about eating habits, please don't pamper your dogs. I had a not so good experience with my 2 JRTs. You see, when they were about 1 year old, I started cooking beef for them to eat on every weekends. They love the beef so much. They will get excited and jump about whenever they sniff my cooking. At the beginning, they were alright...beef on weekends and dry food on weekdays. But things began to go out of control..they started to avoid the dry food on weekdays and starved until wekends for the beef. This really make me angry and I decided to stop giving them any more beef.

Slowly, now they have gone back to eating dry food. I will feed them twice a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. If they don't eat in the morning, I will take away their food away after 20 to 30 min. I will put back their food to them in the evening and if they still don't eat, I will take it away from them again for tomorrow. See who can withstand longer...dog or owner. Laugh Only recently, I started giving them chicken but this time only for once a month.

As for your puppy, once you have given her wet food it will be difficult to revert back to dry food. Some puppies didn't like the dry food to be soaked in water. They prefer it dry...so, what you can do is to pound the dry food into smaller pieces and add some food supplement like Missing Link into it. I am sure your puppy will love it. :)

Join the JRT Zone

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 8:22 PM

Post #12 of 84 (3573 views)
Shortcut

hi

OMG. microwave har :o :o???? wah, your girl is very lucky to be master of her owners instead!!!

yea, i think spoiling them is one issue that made them fussy :/

but dun spoil... also cannot :/

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 8:26 PM

Post #13 of 84 (3572 views)
Shortcut

hie

last time my neighbour had a boxer.. they gave him durians, ice cream and even KFC :| .. in the end he looked like a very very fat bullmastiff instead.

hey, mongrels, they're not only tough, very intelligent as well! you don't have to worry they'll run off, coz they'll always return to u :o ahh, and medical bills also cut down, no need all the fuss of visiting the vet since they rarely get sick.

wow, can kill a snake for ur mom :o impressive! i think mongrels seem to have more of the doggie instinct instilled inside them, if compared to the pedigrees. maybe because pedigrees are too spoilt by us? haii.....

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 8:30 PM

Post #14 of 84 (3571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmax] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!
Snoopy (previously Jigsaw) is doing very well with her food. She is getting a little bit greedy though with her milk though... Continue licking the bowl until there is nothing left!!! Tongue
Anyway, we made the mistake of fussing over Oofy last time, and so now, we are more strict with Snoopy. If she doesn't finish her meal in 30mins, we take away her bowl... Angelic

Join the JRT Zone

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 8:32 PM

Post #15 of 84 (3570 views)
Shortcut

Hahaa....
Yea... Last time, tried to give wet food mixed with her kibble a bit. Then, after a while, she got bored... Crazy
So, decided to heat up a little bit-lo... Wah liao... real mah-fan last time... Tongue
We were slaves to that dog... but happy-lor to see her finish the food!Laugh

Join the JRT Zone

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #16 of 84 (3569 views)
Shortcut

hie

lol, and i thought puttin' yogurt for my dog was mah fan enough last time. yours heating somemore.. haiyo.Unimpressed

it was a painful process in asking my dog to eat for the last 1 1/2 years. had to switch kibbles often, which is not good for the dog. Pirate

since his one-night-stay at the veterinary clinic 2 months ago, he came back and finishes ALL his food (until now). instantly it was bye-bye to our worries, and we don't even need to put in yoghurt for him no more!!! hee, i guess he finally realize there's no other place better than HOME CoolLaughLaugh

rebooto
ALPHA

Nov 1, 2003, 1:31 AM

Post #17 of 84 (3560 views)
Shortcut

ohh yeah...pedigrees really really too spoil by the human beings...hahahha but you'll get lots n lots of love instead. But as for the mongrels...they still love you but not to the extend they will hug u n stuff like that..hahahaSlyLaugh

medical bills...hmmm i wonder what is that...hahaha...i can say RM0 medical fees for the mongrels...maybe got a little...when they got into fight n got hurt...so what we will do .. we just put some medicine and that is all...it will heal by themselves very fast...as i've heard before that their saliva is like a healing medicine...all they do is lick then it will heal...cool huh..CoolCoolCool

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 1, 2003, 1:37 AM

Post #18 of 84 (3559 views)
Shortcut

hie

saliva as healing medicine :o that's rather new to me. i heard that they can chew on some grass outside to heal themselves. wonder if my dog knows how to do that (he only chews lalang :| )

mackmack
Doggyman

Nov 1, 2003, 8:06 PM

Post #19 of 84 (3552 views)
Shortcut

OH yes! U have to agree on this "Saliva as healing medicine". Don't ask me for scientific proof, i don't know. But I have this "concept" in my mind since I was young. Don't you see them always lick on their own wounds? Eh.... maybe hunter is well kept, well protected.. so no wounds to heal himself loh~

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2003, 6:00 AM

Post #20 of 84 (3544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

hee, what i was told by the vet was, when the wounds are about to heal up, it shrinks smaller, that's when it gets itchy... they lick to rid the itchiness.

bahhaha, btw even if other dog's saliva has healing power, i really doubt hunter's will have any effects. i see he only uses his saliva to lick "that part" :|

regards,
hunter

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2003, 4:07 PM

Post #21 of 84 (3533 views)
Shortcut

why RM0 for mongrels medical fees. they need to be vaccine every year and dewormed also and + heartgard.

mongrels also need to be as healthy as pure breed dogs, right?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2003, 4:11 PM

Post #22 of 84 (3532 views)
Shortcut

is switching kibbles not good for the dog? why?

i always change the brand of kibbles for kinki every month. i thought giving her another new type of kibbles will make her enjoy her meal or having a better appetite.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

rebooto
ALPHA

Nov 3, 2003, 6:22 PM

Post #23 of 84 (3527 views)
Shortcut

wah...chew grass arr...that 1 is super new to me leh....heheeLaughSlyLaughSly

ehh dog really knows which grass to chew/eat to heal him/herself so intelligent meh...ekekekekTongue

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

rebooto
ALPHA

Nov 3, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #24 of 84 (3528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

ohh yeah...i was actually referring to my dogs in my dad's durian farm.

they do not need anything like this at all...but you could say i'm bad or no good...but somehow or rather they are so healthy when they were born.Wink

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 3, 2003, 8:25 PM

Post #25 of 84 (3520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] train dog eating [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, it's no good for the dog.

for one, switching food might cause diarrhea to the dog.

and also if the kibble is not suitable for your dog she might develop problems like skin problem and etc. some kibbles promises great coat, healthy skin, more energy and etc. if u switch the food every month, i doubt you'll be seeing any positive effects on kinki, get what i mean?

i often think it's best if our dog is eating great with a particular brand is best to stick with it. you can't just switch food brands too often.

here is a very good thread about the kibbles brand. well evaluated by a fellow member. do read this up:

http:////www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=30391;search_string=innova;#30391

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my