First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 12:22 AM

Post #1 of 110 (3388 views)
Shortcut
Leash training Can't Post

Hi all,

Just wondering, what is the best age to start a puppy on leash training? My pup is about to reach 2 mths old, is that the best time to train them on the leash? Smile

What is the best type of leash to train a puppy of that age?

Thanks to all the sifus out there!!!

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 12:49 AM

Post #2 of 110 (3384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

hie :)

me not a sifu, but hope i can help.

it is certainly fine to start training ur 2 months pup to get used to the leash. make sure the leash is not heavy (not the chain type)... preferably those light, flat ones for little puppies.

go slow on the pup, don't push the puppy too fast. start off by hooking the leash on his collar, let him walk around with it until he is comfortable with the leash's presence. make sure you supervise him when he's walking around with the leash, in case he gets tangled up :/

when he's finally used to it, lightly *tug* (i mean really, really lightly...you don't want to scare the little puppy) and see if he comes to you. if not, let him get used to the leash more longer and try again when he's ready :)

regards,
hunter

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 1:27 AM

Post #3 of 110 (3381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Thanks for the tip... Tongue Am so thinking if it is a good idea to leash the pup to a spot to teach her that she may have to restrict her movement from time to time. I'm guessing that after the pup is familiar with the leash & collar, it will be a good time to teach her that?

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #4 of 110 (3380 views)
Shortcut

yea, i suppose it'd be better to let the pup be used to the idea of leash and collar first before you plan to tie her somewhere.. if not she'll relate that leash=restricting her movement=bad bad bad.

has she wear the collar yet? if not, don't got with leash training yet. let her get used to the collar first.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 2:00 AM

Post #5 of 110 (3379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks...

Nope.. She has not got her collar yet. Will get her used to the collar first before the leash training begins... Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2003, 3:39 AM

Post #6 of 110 (3377 views)
Shortcut

The best time to obedience train a dog is as soon as possible. Assuming the pup is fine and dandy with his environment, healthy and what he's training for does not exceed his physical limitations Smile

hmm..a leash that is not too heavy for the lil' one's neck.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 6:48 PM

Post #7 of 110 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

An update on the collar and leash training.

Got Snoopy a new collar which has a bell on it. She seems to love it at first and I introduced her to the leash as well, just as you had advised. Smile She didn't struggle when I put the leash on and I let her run free with it for about 2-3 minutes.

Anyway, I noticed that Snoopy started to scratch her neck and rolled around the floor and grass in order to get the collar out... Shocked I checked to see that the collar was not on too tight... It wasn't as I could put in 1 finger between the collar and her neck. We put the collar on her for the entire day and she kept repeating that same behaviour... Unimpressed Later that night, I took off the collar.

I wonder... Is this a normal reaction for her? I'm thinking that the material probably irritated her, like for us sometimes, a T-shirt tab at the back of the shirt can cause us to get irritated and itchy...

So, I'm wondering, if the nylon-based or leather type is better for her? Unimpressed Any advice anyone?

Join the JRT Zone

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #8 of 110 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Just a few thoughts:

(a) As a start ... you can try placing a collar on loose (but not so loose that the pup can work the collar off its head - if it learns that, then the doggie will continue to try and remove the collar) ... And then let the doggie get used to collar before tightening it or attaching a leash ...

When you do tighten the collar - try making sure that the collar has space for 2 fingers. If a collar is too tight it can be irritating to the doggie.

Also please check collar on the inside to make sure its smooth, without edges or points that cause irritation.

(b) Try and avoid plastic, nylon or rubber type collars ... some may cause itching. Leather or canvas/cloth type collars usually cause fewer problems. Same same with feeding bowls, ceramic bowls are best. Metal or plastic bowls have been known to cause allergies and other side effects.

(c) Think about removing the bell ... While it appears to be cute & sweet ... what many people don't realise is that a bell on a collar can irritate many dogs and cats ... I know I'd find it irritating if a bell goes off everytime I moved or turned my head Crazy ... A recent study concluded that bells on collars and chains actually increase stress levels in pets to a degree that can be measured ...

Cheers Smile

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 9:58 PM

Post #9 of 110 (3339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tips...!! Tongue

At first I thought that the collar was too tight but it was fine. I had thought about removing the bell but some people say "Don't, it is cute...". I was thinking otherwise because it looks like she was irritated by the bell.

Looks like I've got to go shopping again... Wink

Join the JRT Zone

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 10:34 PM

Post #10 of 110 (3337 views)
Shortcut

Maybe dun need to buy new collar ... just remove the bell ...

Cheers

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 11:33 PM

Post #11 of 110 (3333 views)
Shortcut

Guess there's no need for me to saw anything.Smile

Surchinmy's tips are enough.

Also for a leather one, make sure it's clean/not wet.

Or else it'll really really really smell...and might hv bacteria..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 12:18 AM

Post #12 of 110 (3330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer, surchinmy] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehee...

That's y I alwiz beli 2... TongueTongue At least when one is wet, got another to change... SlySly

Yea, will try and see how it goes-la... Anyway, I need to get another collar, got 1 collar short yest... Tongue

Thanks again!

Join the JRT Zone

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2003, 12:23 AM

Post #13 of 110 (3329 views)
Shortcut

aah.....good idea.. Wink
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 5:23 PM

Post #14 of 110 (3323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer,surchinmy] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

*sigh*....

Looks like Snoopy doesn't quite like her collar. I tried to loosen the collar after removing the bell and she is still trying to remove it from her body... Tongue
Anyway, will try to get another type of collar today... Maybe the nylon is irritating to her... Unimpressed

Join the JRT Zone

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2003, 6:34 PM

Post #15 of 110 (3321 views)
Shortcut

wah, you bought so many collar. how many collar do you have now?

don't invest so much on it, coz your doggie head will grow bigger, and you'll find that those collar are no longer suitable.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 7:15 PM

Post #16 of 110 (3318 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile

Although I mentioned that nylon/plastics have been known to cause allergies, it is not at all common and most dogs are fine with nylon collars ... If the collar is causing Snoopy's skin to react, you will probably find reddish skin, rashes or such like around her neck ...

But if you wish, you can change to a canvas or leather collar. I was personally more concerned about the bell irritating your pup ... but you have removed the bell (... so, that is good)

I however suspect, Snoopy will also object to the canvas/leather collar ... I think Snoopy is just being a little naughty ... just look at that mischievious face in the avatar ... *big laughs*

Maybe no need to go buy a new collar just yet ... And you can try this ... leave your present collar on Snoopy, reasonably loose and just let Snoopy get used to it ... and I think Snoopy will ignore the collar before long. In the meantime ... don't go 'sayang sayang' if Snoopy seems upset with the collar ... just ignore her antics ... and see what happens in a day or two ...

Cheers ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 11, 2003, 7:20 PM)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 9:15 PM

Post #17 of 110 (3313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehehe...

I think you are right because there was no rash on Snoopy's neck. Anyway, will try to get another collar for her... Sly

The avatar is actually the picture of my other dog Oofy... Another naughty monkey... Laugh

Join the JRT Zone

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 9:17 PM

Post #18 of 110 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehehe...

I got 1 only... Tongue Her collar is adjustable as well... So, allocate for her growth.. Laugh

Join the JRT Zone

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2003, 12:59 AM

Post #19 of 110 (3301 views)
Shortcut

Agree with Surchinmy. Perhaps you could also try associating the collar with positive things. Cool
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Nov 12, 2003, 6:56 PM

Post #20 of 110 (3294 views)
Shortcut

Hey,

one more thing... what I did with mocha last time was put the collar really-really loose (like allocate for 4 fingers instead of 2 so that she can get use to it and dun find it that irritating) and also praise her. Lots of praise "wah ! so leng lui" "see, nice nice lor like that with a cute collar" "good girl wear a nice collar hor" and all that to make her feel nice too for wearing something for me. I also gave her some treats to manja her a bit and let her know that she is doing right for not making noise.

Hope it helps.... give your baby some time to get use to the collar ok. Some does takes longer time. Do ignore lar when they make some noise or else they think that by making noise n all that they can get more of ur attention so they just do it more often for u to see lor.

Good Luck ya !

cheers,
minglmy

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 10:13 PM

Post #21 of 110 (3289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea...

Tried that too... Frown Didn't work... I checked the collar... It was kind of irritating as there were some slightly sharp edges... Frown

So, have to resort to another collar.... Even gave treats & praise her alot.. But the notti monkey was looking so sad and made some whinny noise. I finally removed it and checked it... It was really irritating her... Unimpressed

Join the JRT Zone

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Nov 12, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #22 of 110 (3288 views)
Shortcut

get another collar leash then. good luck ya !

cheers,
minglmy

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 10:24 PM

Post #23 of 110 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Leash training [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea...

And then find out if Snoopy is being notti or not... Crazy I think she feels that the collar may get in the way of her "investigating" around the house... Sly

Join the JRT Zone

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Nov 12, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #24 of 110 (3285 views)
Shortcut

aisay.... what 'way' is the leash getting into ler ? hahahaha ! poor u then !

cheers,
minglmy

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2003, 4:29 AM

Post #25 of 110 (3279 views)
Shortcut

when i first bought kinki back , i only put on the collar when i bring her out for walk. so everytime i put the collar on her, she'll be very happy with it, coz she thought that she is going for a walk.
now i put on the collar for 24 hours, and she doesn't protest.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my