First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 12:01 AM

Post #1 of 27 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Obedient Class for JRT?? Can't Post

Hi all,

Hope you guys could give me some suggestion or maybe advice ler...on my new Tau Tau (JRT).

I really have zero knowledge about dog training n stuff like that. So i went to MPH and bought a book on JRT which furnish me quite some information about JRT on health,food n stuff like that. Mostly is think its a basic book about JRT ler..

So my question is that i've read some of the requirement in the book (i also know not all have to follow closely ler). And i found that its says you need to take up an obedient class for JRT and it says a must/something recommended...i couldnt remember..but something like that la...

So should i enrol in an obedient class? What does obedient class does?? If its a need then, can recommend any other than MKA's obedient class arr...

Become a MKA member RM100 then wanna enrol in the class another RM100 + RM20 if not pedigree...wow...kind of "siong" also la..Crazy.hehee

Ohh yeah before i forgotten. I've teach her the command "sit" already and now trying to teach her the command "down" ... Pretty susah leh....but fun la...Smile

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 12:30 AM

Post #2 of 27 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rebooto] Obedient Class for JRT?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Halo! Tongue

Yea... I'm wondering about Obedience classes too for my JRT! Hehe... Yea, the can be a bit "siong"-le... Pirate

Teaching "down" can be quite challenging. The last time I trained my dog (who was 5mths old), I asked her to "sit" first before teaching her "down" using the technique taught in a book. Took a while to train (about 2 weeks+)... So, be patient. Laugh

The funniest part is that my dog was very food motivated and when I asked her to "down", she didn't get it until the third time, which is when I gave her the treat. She got a little smart, she decided to "down" immediately before I gave the command... Hehehe... tried to "trick" me-la.. Tongue

Wah liao, later, when she smelt the treat, she will do all the commands for me without me telling her to do so. No telepathy, she just wanted to impress me-lah. Hehehe...

Have fun training!

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2003, 3:45 AM

Post #3 of 27 (1880 views)
Shortcut

IMHO as long as your dog is obedience trained, regardless of whom, things should be ok. After all, the results would be the same...a dog which is obedient.

If you want, u can do more research and train your pup yourself. Been doing that for all my dogs.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 11:17 PM

Post #4 of 27 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Obedient Class for JRT?? [In reply to] Can't Post

same goes to Tau Tau...she is also very motivated to food. Especially dog biscuit...sometimes the vitamins also can make her do tricks...hahaha so cute...

as long as i hold something in my hand..sure that fellow will do "sit" ....hehehe

My Tau Tau quite smart though...she don't use smell but she used her ear to listen...when open the dog food container..she will know..n bark for food...maybe she bark because she is starving ler... i actually gave her food 2 times a day and she's happy with it.

Just this morning...i thought of giving her half a piece of the bitting type of toothpaste...but i was quite lazy to cut it or break it..so i gave her the whole piece and thought of grabbing it later when she finish half of it. End up she finish the whole bar..cause when i try to take it from her...she was like so mad...like scolding me..barking at me..then run away...hahaha ...i guess all dog are the same ler... right?? Cheong her food is like wanna get fight with her...Unsure

You also have fun training Snoopy...

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #5 of 27 (1868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Obedient Class for JRT?? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...i guess that is the best way to save up money but i guess for a 1st timer to get a JRT really not that suitable..but i will definately train up Tau Tau and i'm confident in myself and Tau Tau also...Smile

Also RealityDreamer..Thx for your invaluable advice Wink

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

dmax
Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2003, 12:54 AM

Post #6 of 27 (1865 views)
Shortcut

Hi rebooto,

Don't think we need to send them for obedient class. As long as we have the time to train the dogs ourselves, they will learn very fast. Only problem is owners normally do not have time to teach them. Mostly, they will be left alone while the owners go to work.

Join the JRT Zone

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 29, 2003, 9:16 AM

Post #7 of 27 (1856 views)
Shortcut

"i guess for a 1st timer to get a JRT really not that suitable"

nah........i don't think so Wink they're good dogs. a good breed. Smile

besides, if you're a good owner and willing to learn...don't see a problem Smile

btw, you're welcome.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 5:52 PM

Post #8 of 27 (1852 views)
Shortcut

I agree with you man!

This is the 1st time I'm having a pup this small. My other dog was already 5mths old when we "rescued" her. So, that dog was semi-trained.

Have to admit though that JRTs are a little bit more stubborn and determined to get their way.. but I may be wrong, could be the dog's attitude.... Blush

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 6:01 PM

Post #9 of 27 (1851 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe...

Sounds like Tau Tau is also very sneaky-le.... Reminds me of my Oofy (God rest her soul) last time... My dog last time used to be quite aggressive over her food/treat as well. Used to growl and bark at us when we try to touch her or try to take her food/treat away. Scolded her nicely and she was slightly better. Shocked

How is the training coming along? Snoopy knows how to "sit". Have to train her a few more times before teaching her "down". Make sure she is not "tricking" me by "pretending" to know the command. Have to let her "sit" for a test... Sly

Join the JRT Zone

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 6:43 PM

Post #10 of 27 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmax] Obedient Class for JRT?? [In reply to] Can't Post

ohh yeah dmax...you are quite right.. That is why i was looking some other alternative to train my monkey....hahaha well, then i gotta train her myself when i got the freetime then....

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 6:48 PM

Post #11 of 27 (1849 views)
Shortcut

totally agree with you....i hope i'm good enough for my monkey..heheSmile

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 6:59 PM

Post #12 of 27 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Well, i read this bout JRT...then are not stubborn...but just lose interest if the training is dull n boring...Usually when we repeat too many times of the single command. They really look like small kids..when we teach too much to them, they will yarn..wonder their eyes somewhere n stuff like that..

Just like last weekend, i was training Tau Tau...at 1st she was very attentive to me (my command). After like 15 minutes or so...she start to yarn...then walk around..look around somewhere else..or looked at me... hehehe...really looks like small baby...

So what to do...stop the training and play with her a while...ask her to fetch bones lo...

She actually bite the bones that i throw far away and come back to me...the problem is that she keep on biting it n when i ask her to give...she runs away...ahhah so funny on her face...then run back to me n wanted me to sayang her...then drop the bone on the floor...then i faster pick it up...and throw the bone...before i could say the command "fetch" ...haha oredi run there ... they are really fast when run...

i was imagining if i were chased by this monkey as if i'm a stranger to her...mati loh...hahahahha

Back to your Snoopy's stubborness...if u wanna test if she is stubborn..very easy..when makan time..while holding her plate of food...ask her to do all sort of stunt n tricks..she will definately do it...haha this is what i did to my Tau Tau n she obey all of it ...cause maybe she is hungry n in her mind most probably says "give me the god damn food..." ..hahahahahha so funny that monkey....Sly

So happy trying.Smile

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 7:05 PM

Post #13 of 27 (1847 views)
Shortcut

well, the i've been kind of bz this few days... so i guess i'll give her training later when i go to P.Indah.

Hmm don't quite understand the sit command... when we say sit...does it mean that she need to sit there for the rest of their life till we say stand...

For my Tau Tau...when i say sit..she sits...but when i make a move..ie go somewhere, move my hand or look some where ...she will run to me or stand n walk around....

i think i wanna teach her the sit ,stay command gua...hmmmm still figuring it out...as i'm still reading the book on JRT which few more chapters then only reach the training part.. Sure u gonna ask me to jump to that chapter then later come back to continue...but my reading habit is..i don't like to jump...then i got mix up then read the whole book again...hahahah funny me also.....hahahaha

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #14 of 27 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha....

Yea... Pups are really like small kids. That's why I mix the training session with some play time so that they will not get bored. Sometimes, playing fetch a few times can make them bored!

I noticed that my JRT pup loves to run alot, so we play chasing games.. The hunter instinct really comes out then! I'm just scared that one day she will start biting my heels like my old dog last time.. Crazy

Yea.. Snoopy is stubborn... ShockedShockedShocked.... I asked her to "sit" before giving her the food and she wouldn't do it!! She even know how to "complain" by making a whining noise, something like "Haiya... I'm sooo hungry... Gimme.. Gimmeee.....!!" SlySly

Hehehe... I borrowed a JRT book but will look for one of my own.. Pai seh, keep the book for so long... Tongue Which book you got from MPH?

Join the JRT Zone

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 7:44 PM

Post #15 of 27 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha...really true that they loved to run...sometime Tau Tau run until can't stop n make skeding..then buntut hit the wall n crash...hahaha so funny..then stand up n run again...wah..really makes me think that she is like the Evo 7 or Subaru Impreza in the rally race..so fast n furious....hehe

hahaha they i guess Snoopy is that so food oriented leh...keke

whining noise...hahaha so cute...kekeke LaughLaugh

aiya ...share is good ma...if i finish my JRT book ..i can also borrow it to you ma..if u want ler..

Ohh the book title is "The Essential for Jack Russell Terrier" .. bout less than 100 pages ler... You leh..u reading which book leh..if i got the time..i would have sit in the MPH store n read those "keng chau" book for dog...i saw a few book..really cool stuff in it...but me gonna pokai if buy that book...BlushBlush

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 7:54 PM

Post #16 of 27 (1843 views)
Shortcut

TongueWah... Must teach Tau Tau to "sou corner".... Laugh Very cute-le to see them do things like that. Like last time, my dog was caught doing something naughty like come into the house without invitation, we called her name, she quickly turn and run... but skid.... Funny man...

I'm currently reading "Parson Russell Terrier", which my mother's friend lent to us. My mother's friend has a couple of JRTs and they mated and of course, produced Snoopy and her gang-la... I also got another book called "Your Puppy and Health", which is more general and has some tips on feeding and training the dog from puppy until old age.

Yea... Must go to MPH Megamall and find a corner to sit and read... Cool but then, usually, the space is quite full-le... Unimpressed

Join the JRT Zone

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 29, 2003, 8:54 PM

Post #17 of 27 (1839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976,rebooto] Obedient Class for JRT?? [In reply to] Can't Post

"just lose interest if the training is dull n boring...Usually when we repeat too many times of the single command. They really look like small kids..when we teach too much to them, they will yarn..wonder their eyes somewhere n stuff like that.. "

lolLaugh

that's the basic rule for training.

motivate the pup, keep training as intersting as possible and keep the sessions short and sweet. Only when the pup is older and more mature...then u can increase the length of each session.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 29, 2003, 11:43 PM

Post #18 of 27 (1831 views)
Shortcut

have you enrol for the obedience cource?

do we need to become a mka member to join the training lesson?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 12:06 AM

Post #19 of 27 (1830 views)
Shortcut

haha...i think she won't be able to "sou corner" la..kekeke 'cause she is too nervous when she runs around...like those rally car...Smile

yeah...was thinking of getting another book on JRT when she get older..which definately the way of treating them is different from now...

ohhh don't need to worry..i saw a few guys also sitting just in front of the bookshelf...so easy...after finish ..just put back and grab another book n read...hahaha so bad...Sly

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 12:10 AM

Post #20 of 27 (1829 views)
Shortcut

RealityDreamer..ohh yeah..forgotten bout, i have to make the training session short n sweet...hehe thx for reminding me... WinkWink

ohh yeah...u know 1 thing when doing the training...holding like 10 pieces of the snacks...also scare that they eat too much on training n so full then later eat dinner or lunch... if hold too little of the snacks ... then the training session will be like less than 2 minutes all the snacks gone...hahahaSmileSmile

so this is the susah partler...SmileSmile

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 12:14 AM

Post #21 of 27 (1827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Obedient Class for JRT?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi amanda,

erm, i don't think i'll gonna enrol that fast ler...maybe later...also see if i can teach Tau Tau on the basic command...if she gets all the command then i guess no need to enrol ler..heheSly

but if got problem on that..i guess i gotta enrol ler..Shocked

i'm not very sure bout the being a member then only can join the training lesson ... but from my point of view ... they did state there that the training is provided for its members.. anyway, you could always call them to enquire bout it.....hehe

so if can..pls inform me ahh... WinkWinkWink

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #22 of 27 (1826 views)
Shortcut

lol

but u hv to ration it...measure your pup's daily intake. If he's eating alot during training session. Cut down on his lunch or dinner. You wouldn't want him to end up fat! Tongue

P.S. you're welcomeSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

rebooto
ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 12:22 AM

Post #23 of 27 (1824 views)
Shortcut

well, to tell u the truth ..Tau Tau is rather thin...so i guess i gonna fed her fat...Wink

after that, then i'll send her to the 3 months JRT Diet Class which is design by cK to a NDH life for JRT...hehe LaughLaugh

NDH = Nutrional, Dietry, Healthy

cK = Chris Kong..which is me.....hehehe

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 12:25 AM

Post #24 of 27 (1822 views)
Shortcut

LOL Laugh

good plan..good plan Cool
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 12:27 AM

Post #25 of 27 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Wah liao....

I cannot imagine a fat JRT... Shocked They have so much energy, I think they will just burn it right off by running around!! Sly Sly

Join the JRT Zone

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my