Potty Train Silky Terriers

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 27, 2003, 11:46 PM

Post #1 of 20 (2589 views)
Shortcut
Potty Train Silky Terriers Can't Post

Hi all,

just bought a silky terrier puppy (3 mths old), and i am trying to potty train/housetrain it. i am trying to use the newspaper method under the cage, but doesn't seem to work. also, is it ok for it to do business in the cage where it's supposed to sleep at night and also when we're out?

i'm new to this, and would appreciate any help from fellow silky owners, or any puppy owners.

thanks!

JolinG
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2003, 12:02 AM

Post #2 of 20 (2585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [waikc] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

hie...
try searching for the past threads on how to potty train ur doggy...
a lot of previous members has ask this question again n again...so u might find help there in the old threads
as long as u clean up their poo after they done it its alrite for them to sleep in the cage if its clean.
y dun u let him out say the compund or toilet n make him go there rite after meals

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 28, 2003, 12:09 AM

Post #3 of 20 (2583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the reply. yes, i've searched thru the forum, but most advocate bringing the dog outside the house. i thought it's not common for toy breeds to be brought out of the house.

i'm scouring the net at this moment looking for more info particular to this breed.

JolinG
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2003, 12:30 AM

Post #4 of 20 (2580 views)
Shortcut

when pee n poo that time lar

after he finishes his business

then bring him back in.........monitor him all the time

of cos when his out side dun let him run around....put him on lead....wait 15 mins..ask him to do business then go back in

outside easier to clean......or u can do it in the toilet........so its inside the house

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 28, 2003, 12:46 AM

Post #5 of 20 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, i guess so. i'll try it. maybe i'll get a crate to cordon off an area for it pee and poo during day time when we're working. then at night let it out and let him sleep somewhere.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2003, 3:41 AM

Post #6 of 20 (2572 views)
Shortcut

"i thought it's not common for toy breeds to be brought out of the house."

i gues it isn't...but they are still dogs after all and were decendants of wolves so it's ok for them to go outside. Regardless of breed.

Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Oct 28, 2003, 3:42 AM)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Oct 28, 2003, 8:37 AM

Post #7 of 20 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Hi !

one of the way you can try is to use a cloth to wipe the pee and put it into the toilet. Before n after you feed your furkid make sure you bring them to the loo and let them smell the cloth n tell them to pee-pee. When they did it... praise them ya ! keep the training going on till they get the idea and hope to hear some good news ya !

cheers,
minglmy

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 28, 2003, 5:36 PM

Post #8 of 20 (2558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you all for the suggestion. i have been trying to encourage it to pee and poo after meals, but to no avail. the fella would not do so, until much later when we're not aware, and the fella starts to pee. i've retained papers which is filled with its urine and place it on the paper next to the cage, yet the fella didn't seem to get the msg. now he seems more likely to pee and poo in the cage instead...i noticed he was sniffing around the cage last night (he usually doesn't like the cage), and quickly move him to the paper with the urine stained part....he didn't pee...until 20mins later he peed in the dining hall. i'm gonna get crates tonight and cordone off a suitable area for it to get the msg. wish me luck!

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #9 of 20 (2556 views)
Shortcut

Wah liao... Shocked

Sounds like a lot of work, my friend. Have to say that I am going through that stage too. Snoopy is also "training" us by telling us that she wants to pee or poo by making lots of noise while she is in the cage. Last night, she pee in the dining and living hall... Mad

My sis says that Snoopy is trying to get our attention but I see it otherwise, as she really indicate to us that she wants to pee and poo.

My aunt says that usually 30mins - 1hr after a meal, a pup tends to go pee or poo. Hmmmm... I think that varies from dog to dog... Tongue

Good luck man!

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 28, 2003, 10:20 PM

Post #10 of 20 (2552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

good luck to u too!

anyway, i think the little fella now seems to have established a pattern in which he will pee and poo in the same spot in the cage. at least the fella have a regular place to do business...now we need to point it to the right place instead. cage is supposed to be his sleeping place at night, and most advice i've seen discourages peeing and pooing in the place where he's supposed to sleep.

lulugurl
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 2:23 AM

Post #11 of 20 (2545 views)
Shortcut

Hello

I have a silky too.. When Jaz is still a puppy, she'll sleep and hide in the toilet whole day and only come to the living room at nite...she also poo and pee on the newspaper in the toilet...

maybe whenever u see your silky go round and round after a meal, u can prepare a newspaper then slot under him when he poo poo or pee..then place the newspaper in the toilet so that particular place got the "smell" Smile

or u can try searching under " Housebreaking"Cool
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

alyn
Novice

Oct 29, 2003, 7:18 AM

Post #12 of 20 (2541 views)
Shortcut

You might want to check out this website : http://www.uwsp.edu/...dog/lib-Puppy.htm#ph . Some of the links may not be working but I'm sure the rest will give you a general idea on housebreaking your pup. They also have a section on crate training further down. Another thing that would help is to invest in a book on Silky Terriers. Even the most basic ones will provide lots of advice on caring and training puppies. Good luck!

(This post was edited by alyn on Oct 29, 2003, 7:19 AM)

nickanna
Canine Addict

Oct 29, 2003, 10:10 AM

Post #13 of 20 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Hi..hi.. Smile

We have 2 silkies at home too and we let them roam around the house freely. Training them is very important as we do not intend bring them out too often for "business doing". Tongue If they simply do their "business" then we will scold them and quickly bring them to the newspaper spot (soaked with their pee) and pat (sayang) them. They need to learn when they do something wrong, they will be punished and when they learn that, you wouldnt have so much "work" cleaning the place..hahaha.. Our latest Silky, Harry (11 weeks) learnt pretty fast (about 2 weeks, but of course sometimes still mis-q) Laugh . Wish you luck !!! Sly

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 29, 2003, 5:23 PM

Post #14 of 20 (2532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickanna] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi all! looks like quite a number of Silky owners here as well!

i have happy news! last night, i cordoned off an area around the cage, and place a tray with papers (with a little bit of its pee) at one corner. played with it until bedtime, and we put him back into the area. however, we closed the door of the cage so that it can't get back in there to do its business. this morning woke up, found to my joy that he has peed and poo'ed in the tray! yippee! but that guy also tore the papers quite a bit...heheh! anyway, will continue with this technique until the guy gets the message. then we'll open back the cage and let him sleep inside, with the cage door open.

yeah, nowadays when we play, i'll keep an eye on whether the fella is sniffing around to release. i'll quickly put the fella back to the cordoned area.

thanks for all the tips!

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2003, 5:46 PM

Post #15 of 20 (2530 views)
Shortcut

Good on you!!! Sly

Great to hear that you got your silky to do its business properly... Laugh I agree with you about not letting the pup do its business in the crate, since it is its bed. My pup makes a lot of noise when it wants to do its business whenever it is in the cage, I think she's a clean dog... Don't like to mess up her "bed".

Keep up the good work!

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

nickanna
Canine Addict

Oct 30, 2003, 6:44 AM

Post #16 of 20 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Great to hear dat!!! Give ur lil furkid a bit more time..he'll learn..

On the tearing newspaper part, I also "tai hong" coz all my furkids tear newspapers and tissue papers (or shld I say whatever type of papers)..mayb they just like the fun of tearing papers..haha Tongue ..But thank God, they dont "perform" this skill everyday..only once a while.. so I guessed it's their way of showing us that they are bored or something.. hahaha =P

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 30, 2003, 7:21 PM

Post #17 of 20 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickanna] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

that little guy ar...yesterday evening before we went out for dinner, placed his pee soaked tissue on the paper (underneath 1 piece) and place it back on the tray where he is supposed to do business. came back and saw him shred the paper and tissue to bits. aiyo! never mind, we bought some non-slip plastic floor covers and cover the paper on the tray instead. so far so good...the fella can't shred the paper liao.

this morning, woke up and found the fella has pooed on the tray, as expected, but the chap went and step on one piece and lied around the floor..causing bits of poo everywhere. aiseh! previously the fella usually don't step on its own poo. spent longer time than usual to clean up...sigh...

can't wait to shower him soon...have to wait coz he got his 2nd jab just last thursday.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #18 of 20 (2518 views)
Shortcut

LOL!!! Laugh

Hehe... Sounds like Snoopy a couple of nights back. Did her business in the cage... Made so much noise because her bed was dirty. She stepped on the poo, and when I let her out, she jumped and ran like fugitive... spreading her "cake" everywhere... ShockedShocked

Aiyo... scrub, scrub, mop, mop, sob, sob...

Not only that, had to clean her feet and she protest lagi! Frown Ai...

Join the JRT Zone

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 31, 2003, 12:01 AM

Post #19 of 20 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Potty Train Silky Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

yalor...yucky! anyway, today i'm gonna take away the cage. use the crate...use the tray with pee stained paper and non-slip plastic mat. hopefully with the bigger space the fella will differentiate between the floor which he is supposed to sleep and keep clean, and the tray where he is to pee and poo.

slowly getting there...heheheh!

nickanna
Canine Addict

Oct 31, 2003, 4:34 AM

Post #20 of 20 (2504 views)
Shortcut

wah..ur lil fella really knows how to give u overtime work eh.. Wink ...still young-la..so, gotta be patience.. my Harry didnt give me too much problems, thank God..but my Hugo (GR) is kinda like ur lil fella when he was young.. so messy and notti..and worst still, his "damage" area and his "businesses" are of course bigger... kakakaka.. Tongue Tongue Those were the days!!! Laugh Now he's a good boy..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my