Dalmatian Training

Dizzle
New User

Oct 26, 2003, 9:16 AM

Post #1 of 4 (911 views)
Shortcut
Dalmatian Training Can't Post

Hey,

I just got a puppy dalmatian it is 13 weeks old and is a very cute. I need help training it though. Im trying to house train it, like whenever it pees in the house i try to stop it in the action and take it outside for a walk untill it pees then once it pees i praise it then bring it inside and put it in its crate for trying to pee inside. Once its in the crate it wont stop barking and scratching the door. How can i get it to love its crate?

Also i need to know what supplies i need for the dalmatian. I have a small crate which im gonna need to throw away and get a bigger one i also have plenty of toys a water bowl and a food bowl. but what else should i get?

Thanks ya
DIzzle

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 27, 2003, 7:29 PM

Post #2 of 4 (886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dizzle] Dalmatian Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there...

Toilet-training can be quite tedious, so, please be a little patient with the puppy... Smile Good job on catching the pup in the act when it is peeing in the wrong spot! That can be tough as you have to be very alert when that happens... Unimpressed

Anyway, I noticed a couple of things about pups when it comes to toilet time...

1. After it has woken up after it slept, it will usually need to go relieve themselves
2. After a meal, it will need to relieve itself. Varies from 15mins to 1hr, depending on type of "business".

A tip is to observe your pup when it is time to go toilet... It may sniff the ground, looking for a familiar place or even scratch it. When that happens, time to take it out for a walk...

As for crate training, the pup will need some enticing to stay in the crate. I read this is a book and it makes some sense,
1. Place the puppy in the crate along with a small treat. Close the crate and keep the puppy in it for 5 minutes. Praise it when it is quiet.
2. Never release the puppy when it is making noise.
3. Once it is quiet for 5 minutes, release the puppy and praise it.
4. Repeat the procedure in increments of 5 minutes until the puppy can get used to the crate.

Is the puppy alone in its crate?

If it is alone, here is a tip, which may help, that is to leave the radio on while the puppy is in the crate.

Hope this helps... Unsure

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

chrissaro
Novice

Dec 1, 2003, 7:45 PM

Post #3 of 4 (866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Dalmatian Training [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

i just got my dalmatian puppy last week...she's 8 weeks++ old...and she's having the same problem mentioned here...

i got her a cage 3X3...and she doesn't like going into the cage...it will bark and bark and bark wanting to come out...i have to leave her there since i'm working and no one's at home...

and peeing problem yeah...she pees in the house when i bring her in...and once she shits there too... Pirate

but she's damn cute i must say...hahhahaa...

rgds,

kian leong

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 1, 2003, 9:44 PM

Post #4 of 4 (863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrissaro] Dalmatian Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe..

Yea... They can be pretty cute even when you are a little bit angry with them... Tongue Only thing is to exercise some patience and try out the tips the sifus here have mentioned. Tongue

Music + 1 of her fav toys. Tongue Must make the cage as comfy as possible as that is her bed. Tongue It would help if you played a game or give a treat before you put her in the cage?

Hope that helps... Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my