Pet Shops, Puppy Mills and MKA

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Oct 25, 2003, 7:55 PM

Post #1 of 65 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Pet Shops, Puppy Mills and MKA Can't Post

I am thinking of getting a small dog for my new home. I have been reading a lot of posts in this Msg Board and have come across problems associated with buying pets from Pet Shops.

1. I know that Distemper is a big problem especially from that shop in Petaling Street but what about those nice petshops we see in PJ SS2. Are they reputable? Other than the breeder him/herself not giving the pups the necessary jabs, are there genetic problems?
2. If there are genetic problems, how can the register the pups? Or is the registration very lax? Does the rule against Puppy Milling?

P/S A friend had a traumatic experience with a kitten purchased from one nice pet shop it died apparently it was too young to be separated from the mother. I don't want to conclude that one incident means all pet shops are bad but I would like opinions.

I am totally against Puppy Mills and how do you recognise a breeder who does that?

Thanks for any help.

2ephyr
ALPHA

Oct 26, 2003, 1:40 AM

Post #2 of 65 (3229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] Pet Shops, Puppy Mills and MKA [In reply to] Can't Post

if possible, try not to get it from pet shops...eventhough there r nice ones at SS2...i kena b4...bought my pup at one of da pet shops at SS2 n later died of distemper...Unsure

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 26, 2003, 9:00 AM

Post #3 of 65 (3226 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

well, to be honest, u can hardly differentiate a puppy miller n an irresponsible breeder even though they r MKA members.....there r no guaranteee

there r thousands of breeders out there n MKA is not there to supervise each and everone...so the best thing is do your own survey.get a list of breeders and start searching......u'll know how to differentiate a responsible n irresponsible breeder by the way they talk n looking at the surroundings n the parents...if the parents r healthy n the puppies r healthy....then it's at least that they pup's healthy.

that's not all, u too have to make sure that the pups have been given proper medication ie deworming n vaccination.....lastly...ask them how many times have the bitch littered...a responsible breeder'll never let their dam breed more tahn 3 times...if they do, then the quality of pups'll definitely not be so good n the breeder is most pobrably money making oriented.

happy searchingSmile

(This post was edited by nathalie on Oct 27, 2003, 8:29 AM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 26, 2003, 11:21 PM

Post #4 of 65 (3220 views)
Shortcut

"those nice petshops we see in PJ SS2."

They LOOK nice on display...but when they are off display, they are kept in the rooms at the back which is the complete opposite. It's really smelly and most of the times the healthy and sick are kept together. Seriously though, you can choke on the ammonia emitted by the urine. The room being stuffy doesn't help either.

"Are they reputable?"

Don't know. Nvr got my dog from there.

"Other than the breeder him/herself not giving the pups the necessary jabs, are there GENETIC problems? "

well, it depends on the parents. You hv to know the parents and the owners of the parents. Talk abt their health. This is going to be one of the toughest to find out since in M'sia, barely any breeders do a check up or x-ray their dogs(for mostly larger breeds) and certify them. If you do find one with legal and proper documents, pls do let me know.

"If there are genetic problems, how can the register the pups? "

why not? the more registrations,the more income. but like Nat said, there are too many breeders for MKA to keep an eye on. SO the best you can do is be a good "consumer" and do research on breeders and their dogs.

"Does the rule against Puppy Milling? "

I don't think so. I hv not seen or heard of any puppy miller being arrested or fined.

"I don't want to conclude that one incident means all pet shops are bad but I would like opinions. "

Hmm....well,all pet shop puppies come from irresponsible breeders or puppy millers.NO responsible breeder would EVER sell their puppies to a petshop.As for those which are imported, chances are, they come fr decent breeders,just that the breeders don;t know they the pups are being re-sold in pet shops. OR the puppies are, again, from puppy millers and irresposible breeders.

"I am totally against Puppy Mills and how do you recognise a breeder who does that?"

For starters, the place in which the dogs are kept is horrible.Meaning smelly,dirty,small etc. I think as a person, you too would have a bad gut feeling abt getting a puppy from there. Trust your gut. Basically, what a puppy miller does is like a puppy factory. Breed his bitches heat after heat, with no time to rest and sell the pups.Which also means the bitch will produce lower quality pups. That's what she does for the rest of her life. Lie in her cage,mate and have puppies. Becareful of them lying too.

Just my 2 cents worth. =)
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Oct 27, 2003, 7:00 PM

Post #5 of 65 (3212 views)
Shortcut
Re: Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for the well-informed replies. It is rather disappointing to read that there are really no real guidelines to follow where breeding is concerned. I do think that what was said that true dog lovers would never leave their pups with pet shops.
Even more disappointing is that MKA seems so lax, more interested in the money than ensuring good quality care for pups.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2003, 1:59 AM

Post #6 of 65 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. It is disappointing. Pirate

"Even more disappointing is that MKA seems so lax, more interested in the money than ensuring good quality care for pups. "

*whisper* that's y there's quite a bit of disatisfaction among us and also some "hidden politics"

P.S. You're welcome
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2003, 5:11 AM

Post #7 of 65 (3202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi,

it true....after all they r also human right? flaws will always be thereUnsure

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 29, 2003, 8:20 PM

Post #8 of 65 (3188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

what about making sure that the pups are vaccinated? i've checked out this petshop, and the place where they place the pups is clean, and doesn't smell. i guess it varies from one petshop to another. but then, of course, u wouldn't be too sure about the source of the pups...

too late for me to worry now, since i already bought my silky from the petshop.

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Oct 29, 2003, 9:14 PM

Post #9 of 65 (3186 views)
Shortcut
Re: You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

This bungalow in SS2 has been converted into a petshop and there are so many pretty petshops in SS2 now!!!!

That means other suburbs would have more than their fair share of petshops as well.

I can only imagine puppy, kitty, iguana and python milling.

K9Angel
Novice

Oct 30, 2003, 1:39 AM

Post #10 of 65 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I have other views of looking at this issue. Pet shops, puppy mills.... where to get a healthy & good puppy?

In a pet shop? One worries about the hygenic condition of the pet shop & the origin of the puppy.

Buy from puppy mills? One worries about if the owner is responsible or not.

When there is a demand, there is a supply. These days more people are willing to spend money to buy good breed dogs, so there is a business for puppy breeding.

Just don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all breeders are like that. I just want to emphasize a point here.....due to the over-whelming demand of dogs ( mainly pure breed), some dog breeders / pet shop owners (the irresponsible ones, of course) will definitely take the opportunity to make money from it. I'm not saying the people who want dogs are causing the eruption of such practices either. We can't stop people from buying dogs & neither can we stop people from selling dogs.

So really, if you want to ensure that you get a healthy & good puppy, you just gotta be careful. Use your instinct as most of the forum members have advised. After getting your puppy, you should also get your puppy examined by a vet to ensure that your puppy is absolutely healthy.

Alrighty then. Too long winded.

Cheers, K9Angel :-) Smile

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 30, 2003, 3:05 AM

Post #11 of 65 (3178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah..my friend told me about that new shop!! opposite/behind ss2 police station....

there's another one...Pet Corner in Jusco Home Center (former ikea in IU)...FrownFrownFrown

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 4:57 AM

Post #12 of 65 (3175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [waikc] Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi,

for vaccination...ther's a vaccination record...u can show the vet n they'll tell uSmile

if u have bought...don't regret as long as they r healthy. juz take it as a precaution for future pupsSmile

waikc
Dog Kichi

Oct 30, 2003, 7:26 PM

Post #13 of 65 (3170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, it has full vaccination records. i've checked out the petshop for quite some time before i committed. made many rounds there to observe the different dogs and cats, see how they handle them. quite a number of people place their pets there during long weekends to be taken care of as well when they go for holidays.

so far so good, i would say. heheheh!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Oct 31, 2003, 1:10 AM

Post #14 of 65 (3160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey,

if i guess correctly you must be staying somewhere near in SS2 right ? coz only those staying around the surrounding area will know that there is a new 'yet to open' petshop at the bungalow Wink

cheers,
minglmy

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 3:35 AM

Post #15 of 65 (3156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh, it's yet to open? i was hoping to take a peep..

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2003, 3:36 AM

Post #16 of 65 (3156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [waikc] Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi,

then u can be rest assured..... at least u r giving up pup a good life now, right?Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Oct 31, 2003, 8:12 AM

Post #17 of 65 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

not yet lar... unfortunately ! well.. i can't wait for it to open so that i can go in to take a peek too ! will let u know when the shop is open ya so that both of us also can go n pat kua Tongue

cheers,
minglmy

alyn
Novice

Oct 31, 2003, 9:22 AM

Post #18 of 65 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Oh, do let me know too! Today I spent 20 minutes circling around SS2 because I saw a relatively new shop called Uwie (sp?) and wanted to check out their accessories and food products. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any parking. I was not aware there's an upcoming petstore in a bungalow lot and one in 1U.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 11:36 AM

Post #19 of 65 (3147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alyn] You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

hie,

where's the new petshop at ss2 u mentioned??? was it big?

what i heard was the one in 1U was actually part of the old IKEA lot. the last time my family went they saw only one beagle puppy for sale. as for accessories, i'm hoping to go take a look myself too..hmph, heard it's under Jusco. dunno if it's true or not.

maybe icezcream can give more input on this :) ?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2003, 11:48 AM

Post #20 of 65 (3146 views)
Shortcut

yea open already let us know. want to 88888

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Nov 1, 2003, 5:02 AM

Post #21 of 65 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alyn] You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

sure sure... will let u know too Wink. The UYIE pet shop is not bad... lots of stuff there too. Normally what I do is just double park then run up to check out their stuff Tongue

As for the bungalow petshop I heard that its open by a singaporean.

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Nov 1, 2003, 5:03 AM

Post #22 of 65 (3134 views)
Shortcut

The UYIE Petshop is consider big lar... half of their upstairs is all dog's product and the other half is for cats.

I can't wait till the bungalow lot to open ! will give u a call when i see the opening ya !

cheers,
minglmy

alyn
Novice

Nov 1, 2003, 9:15 AM

Post #23 of 65 (3128 views)
Shortcut

Ooo... so exciting! I really wanted to take a look at Uyie but I went at the wrong time. Lunch hour. Cars were double parked everywhere, I could hardly squeeze into any gaps. Guess I'll have to wait until another time. Give us a shout when the bungalow is opened!

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 1, 2003, 5:40 PM

Post #24 of 65 (3127 views)
Shortcut

ah!!!!no problem!!!

ah..last week i went pass the ss2 banglow petshop...it was open. saw couple of visitors edi..but not confirm la...will be going over to "8" today..Laugh

as for the jusco home center, there is a Petcorner inside..went there yesterday to '8' again..saw a cute beagle cross dashund pup selling for rm600...they even have caiman going for rm3k+..Crazy

uyie not bad...pretty complete!! 3 floors all together...they even have their own in-house vet where we can bring our doggies there for vaccination.Smile..

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2003, 5:57 AM

Post #25 of 65 (3121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] You know what is really really scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

:O:O:O

beagle cross daschdund eh? was surprised that it's under jusco actually :/

3 floors? where is uyie situated? more inputs pls!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my