Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
2 Male Labs

brandyg
Novice

Oct 23, 2003, 3:52 PM

Post #1 of 4 (939 views)
Shortcut
2 Male Labs Can't Post

I currently have a 5 month old male yellow lab. We found a lady that is needing to give away her 6 month old male black lab. My dog loves to play with others, especially when we keep a friend's dog for the weekend. He is in heaven. This is why we are considering getting another dog. However, my only worry is how they will act around each other.

First question - Do you think they would cohabitate well together?

Next question - The black lab has been neutered, but my yellow lab hasn't. Will this be a problem? Should we have our lab neutered as well? We don't want to unless we absolutely have to, but I don't want him to "take advantage" of the other dog.

What do you think?

mackmack
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2003, 5:52 PM

Post #2 of 4 (936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brandyg] 2 Male Labs [In reply to] Can't Post

They could be BUDDIES but it's your responsible to show them how to be friendly to each other. Please, never bias on anyone of them and create jealousy.

Enjoy~Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 24, 2003, 3:58 AM

Post #3 of 4 (930 views)
Shortcut

It's hard to say...

Well, labradors aren't a dominant breed. But they are 2 males. But then again they're puppies.

I guess there's a 50-50 chance.

Take note though. There might be an alpha pup.The pup who's on top.

You should not be bias but make sure you greet or feed(etc) the alpha pup first. You do not want to rock the pack status and cause the alpha pup to be insecure and reinforce his status. Meaning...showing pup 2 that he is more dominant in ways that are unpleasant. If there isn't , then all is good...make sure you're not bias.Smile If you are,then it will cause jealousy which will be a problem.

Generally, neutered males are more docile and less dominant than those which aren't.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Oct 31, 2003, 1:01 AM

Post #4 of 4 (912 views)
Shortcut

Hi !

You have to create the enviroment to let them know who is the alpha dog in the family and who is not.... for example, when u reach home greet the alpha dog 1st or like when you are feeding do the same.

Don't worry they would not 'take advantage' of each another like that... most probably they will play n fight (esp when the 2nd dog wants to be more dominant)

Good Luck ya !

cheers,
minglmy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my