First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Oct 20, 2003, 10:08 PM

Post #1 of 35 (2371 views)
Shortcut
Pass CGC Test still can be a Guard Dog? Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I wish can get some comments from all of you or guide me what should I do..

I got a mongrel who I start to train her myself when she was only 2 months old. She can perform well in the house, even hand signal she can understand what I want (Off course only at home. don't think she can be as obedient when she was outside)..however, I am so sorry & regret that I didn't really social her well, now she turn into a very aggressive dog.

I enjoy the trainning very much (for my the other dog) so I am thinking to enroll my this mongrel dog for the next coming lesson. The things I worry are :

1) my dog having some skin disease now..

2) she very fear and I worry will disturb others..

I wish I can give her a chance train in a more official way. Anyone can let me know : is it if we pass the CGC Test means our dog can not be a guard dog anyway? I still think I need a guard dog my this new area.
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 20, 2003, 10:53 PM

Post #2 of 35 (2367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Pass CGC Test still can be a Guard Dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Smile

there are different types/levels of guard dogs.

the alarm/watch dog- a dog who warns or alarms his owners of any strangers.

threat dog-a dog who stands his ground whenever a stranger enters its property and will challenge the stranger with a growl or a threat display like teeth baring etc. Threat dogs are not meant to take the stranger down. If the stranger challenges the dog, the dog may take a submissive role and back away.

there are a few more such as the patrol dog and man taker.

So if your dog barks at strangers, u still can consider him a guard dog. He would be a watch dog.

Smile

First step is to work on her sociliazation. WHile doing so, u can also train her yourself(like u are doing now).Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2003, 12:37 AM

Post #3 of 35 (2358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Pass CGC Test still can be a Guard Dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chloe,

to my understanding, there're many type of dog (not breeds), eg : -

Watch Dog - Will only alert the owner by barking at the intruders and will not bite or attack the intruders in short

Guard Dog - Will attack the intruders and fight with them to protect his/her territory in short

Personal Protection Dog (PPD) - Generally this type of special trained dog is to protect it handler from criminals or what other use to call them police dog, military dog, security dog and etc. there are only handful of breeds that are suitable for this job and they're trained to be extremely obey to command, perform in extreme weather and highly obedient

Other type of dogs are like Flock Guard that is trained/use for protect livestock from predators like while canine and cats. Hunting Dog and Fighting just to anme a few.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2003, 7:44 AM

Post #4 of 35 (2345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Pass CGC Test still can be a Guard Dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm.......i got that from a magazine...

so it's wrong? Crazy
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2003, 8:10 AM

Post #5 of 35 (2344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Pass CGC Test still can be a Guard Dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pet world ? ahahhahah bukan.....i read this from one of the URl from the oversea site. may be the magazine u mentioned get this from them also or may be this defination and theory thingy sound a like and u mistaken it as i got it from .

anyway, so long as u understand and know what is what...regardless from or worldpet it make no different.Wink

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2003, 8:19 AM

Post #6 of 35 (2343 views)
Shortcut

aah......ok Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Oct 21, 2003, 6:42 PM

Post #7 of 35 (2333 views)
Shortcut

hi , Mr Reality Dreamer and Mr Boon,

You guys really expert in dog, I just need a dog can alert me if any stranger try to go in my house without permission and warn the strangers. I don't think I am so good can train my dog up to police dog stage.. kekeke

But from what I know, the CGC test is try to ask our dog friendly to all kinds of people, so if say I still need a dog to jaga house means she can not send for the trainning? I can only do this myself?? Pls advise. All comments are welcome.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2003, 8:32 PM

Post #8 of 35 (2330 views)
Shortcut

hehehe...I'm not a Mr....I'm a miss Wink
and nah...not expert.. just learning like you Smile

Canine Good Citizen test is to test a dog and see if he is calm/stable/not aggresive towards GOOD ppl in a GOOD/POSITIVE situation.

Generally, dogs in their own home/territory will try to protect it. Be it just plain barking or more aggressive ways.

Chances are, even if your dog is well socialized and is ok with other strangers, she will still bark and alert you of a stranger in her own home/territory.

Notice that most dogs are ok with strangers in new environments other than their own home? Smile

That's because they don't "own" the area so they hv to be neutral. Where as at home, the area is their territory and they hv some "power" over it.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Oct 21, 2003, 8:34 PM)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 21, 2003, 11:11 PM

Post #9 of 35 (2322 views)
Shortcut

hi,

ah herm*** mr. chloe, when u coming to pdg merbok for your dog's socialization :o

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 21, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #10 of 35 (2321 views)
Shortcut

hi,

hey, i have yet to meet u in person, did u came last week to class?

RD is right, CGC is see if your dog is calm, stable and not aggresive in a normal situation. you say she guards house. does she snaps at friendly people who tries to touch her? growls at ppl nearing her with bared teeth? i don't suppose so, right?

Basic class does not "untrain" your dog's ability to guard your house, nor it does "train" a dog to guard house as well. the whole thing is very simple really, all they teach is how to walk by your side, sit politely when owner shakes hand with strangers, remain calm when being patted by other ppl~~ those sort of basic stuffs.

and if you're worried if she'll disturb others, you just have to be a little more careful. remember, not all dogs that enroll are friendly too.

hope this helped :)

regards,
hunter

boon
Doggyman

Oct 22, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #11 of 35 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I will put it this way, CGC or OB is just to have ur dog obey to your command and be more polite to others. Train them on OB will not 'kill' their basic instinct of barking stranger.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 22, 2003, 8:32 AM

Post #12 of 35 (2309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Pass CGC Test still can be a Guard Dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

bleah~ Tongue

not these few weeks...no transport Frown dad really busy...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Oct 23, 2003, 6:54 PM

Post #13 of 35 (2293 views)
Shortcut

OK Thanks.Wink

I will try to social her more first..

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Oct 23, 2003, 7:00 PM

Post #14 of 35 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Oops..Blush

Ok. I am more clear how the 'bark' works right now... miss out the territory stuffs..THANK YOU!Cool

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Oct 23, 2003, 7:09 PM

Post #15 of 35 (2289 views)
Shortcut

Hi hunter (Ms / Mr?),

Thanks for your info. again..

Yea.. I came, I am in Ms. Maggie group. You easily can regonise me coz my pup very timid.. if any big dogs like Lab or Golden walk beside him he will jump up.. espeacially after the about turn..Unsure or else he will just try to pull me walk faster, becoz behind got so many big dogs.. i really can pengsan for him..Unsure

Jojo is the one I worry about, she can be very gila sometimes. She will bark only to those always kacau her / those stranger - espeacially those sending flyer.. a lots of my neighbour kids like to kacau her because she very noisy and got response to them.. Russel is just like a stone dog he wont care others..

Just another prob after I read your post. Both my dogs will only heel without pulling the leash whenever I put on those choke chain and they know is time for trainning.. otherwise , like evening walking time they turns to be a samseng againPirate

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2003, 8:27 PM

Post #16 of 35 (2285 views)
Shortcut

hie,

4pm/5pm class? your dog lacks socialization. how old is he? go 15 minutes earlier before class, let him walk around the training ground, warm him up a little. let him meet more dogs, big/small, assure him that's it's all right to be around with other dogs. are you coming to this week's puppycom gathering? it'll be a very good chance to expose your dog more to other dogs.

barking at ppl giving fliers... now, what's the problem? are u feeling annoyed with her bark? i think it's simply natural.. my dog bark at those guys giving out fliers too. and also to kids that disturb him. it's just a basic instinct for a dog to bark, nothing much to be worried about.

your dog has only started choke chain training for not long, it takes time getting used for them to understand how does it works. anyway, training time should be training time, evening walks should be evening walks. a little pulling wouldn't do much harm, after all, they just want to have some fun during their walks.

if you would like them to heel during your evening walks, simply put on the choke chain when you take them out as well, a light tug will remind them not to pull u. after a few times, replace the choke chain with the normal harness. if they still pull, replace with choke chain again and restart the process. but then again, evening walks should be a pleasant experience, not too much training inside :) gotta give them a break too.

PS : don't call me Ms Hunter, lol. my name is Li Ping.

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 24, 2003, 7:19 AM

Post #17 of 35 (2279 views)
Shortcut

you're welcome Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 12:04 AM

Post #18 of 35 (2261 views)
Shortcut

OB cost RM100 but CGC only cost RM50. what's the diff?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

boon
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 12:16 AM

Post #19 of 35 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Pass CGC Test still can be a Guard Dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda,

OB is refer to the training. CGC is the test name. U need to have Puppy kindergarden class (from MKA) or Basic OB to sit for the test and at the end of 10 sessions, u and ur dog go for the CGC test if pass, then u got a cert and medal.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 12:30 AM

Post #20 of 35 (2257 views)
Shortcut

was also wondering. If my dog was not trained through MKA can i still join the CGC test? if i pass get a medal and cert...?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 1:09 AM

Post #21 of 35 (2252 views)
Shortcut

not that i know off

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Oct 30, 2003, 1:50 AM

Post #22 of 35 (2249 views)
Shortcut

I M in 5 o clock class

only one ECS in my group. Most are golden & Lab.

Hope can meet u one day, then next time I join puppy forum activities will have some friends to chat to!Sly

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 4:46 AM

Post #23 of 35 (2245 views)
Shortcut

oh...ok.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 6:34 PM

Post #24 of 35 (2242 views)
Shortcut

kinki will be 8 months old next year. then should i enrol her in kindergarten or basic?

btw, can i use my little sister name to register as MKA member in order to save money? coz below 18 years old is cheaper.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 30, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #25 of 35 (2241 views)
Shortcut

after i called up MKA, they told me that i have to register as a member then only can join the training lesson. but to take the CGC test, you don't need to become a member. that means you actually can train the dog yourself. and the fees for the test is RM50 for non-member.

you can get the form from their website.

Pacco de Mongrel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my