Home: Behavioral Problems: Eating Poo & Licking Pee:
stool eating

puplover467
New User

Oct 17, 2003, 1:25 PM

Post #1 of 12 (5744 views)
Shortcut
stool eating Can't Post

my 6 month old puppy keeps eating his poop. he'll do it before we can even stop him. it really grosses out my whole family. then his breath smells incredibly bad and he usually throws up and he's gotten worms several times from doing this. he'll just be sniffing and all of the sudden he eats itCrazyany ideas on how we can stop him i yell at him every time he does but he still does it

anything would help at this point

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Oct 17, 2003, 6:26 PM

Post #2 of 12 (5741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [puplover467] stool eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I have a friend who had a pup who did exactly the same thing, and she was so disgusted with it! Well, personally I have no solutions to this, why don't you consult a vet?
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Oct 17, 2003, 6:42 PM

Post #3 of 12 (5739 views)
Shortcut

last time a vet told me the pup eat poo coz their digestive system got problem..may be you should take him to a vet for body check up
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 17, 2003, 8:24 PM

Post #4 of 12 (5736 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

My pup did that twice when he was younger. I did some research on this habit on the internet and found out a few things. Poop eating, or coprophagia as some websites call it happen for a few reasons:

1) They like the taste Crazy Apparently some even eat another dog's poo!! Unsure
2) They are bored and have nothing better to do
3) Instinct - cause in the wild they do that so that their predators can't locate their scent
4) Lacking in some nutrition
5) Another instinct - the bitch eats her puppy's poop

Best thing to do is to start removing the poop right after your dog has done its 'business' Smile Otherwise you can give supplements that contains Vitamin B. You can also try those off the shelf toothpaste looking supplements eg Nutrigel, Nutripet etc. I've also read in some websites that if you add a bit of garlic or pumpkin to the dog's food, it's supposed to make the poo really smelly, thus turning them off from the 'delicacy'.

I dunno which works best. But from my experience with my puppy, the best way is to take the poo away and distract the puppy right after he poos. Maybe eventually he'll 'forget' about eating it Cool As disgusting as it is to us, esp if we teach our doggies to 'kiss' Unimpressed , it's actually quite a common thing. Acquired taste I think...hehe

Anyway, a puppy is still young. Yelling at him wouldn't help much as he probably doesn't understand what's food and what should not be food. All doggies respond better to praises than scoldings. Perhaps you'll want to change your training method and praise and reward him instead when he comes to you after he poops and doesn't eat his own poo. Between eating the poo and getting lots of hugs and praises from you, if I were the pup I'll choose the latter too.

Hope it helps Smile

(This post was edited by cshellz on Oct 17, 2003, 8:28 PM)

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2003, 9:07 AM

Post #5 of 12 (5721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] stool eating [In reply to] Can't Post

hey thanks
my fren's dog is 2 years old yet still having the same bad habit
since she's adult,hope it's not difficult to teach her

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2003, 9:26 AM

Post #6 of 12 (5719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mari_Lyn] stool eating [In reply to] Can't Post

hi mari_Lyn,

you're welcome. Smile well, no harm trying to train her now....hopefully she can drop the bad habit Wink

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2003, 9:46 AM

Post #7 of 12 (5717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] stool eating [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe
wat breed is ur dog?in the pic
and spitz is only white color or there are other color?brown?

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2003, 7:35 PM

Post #8 of 12 (5711 views)
Shortcut

hey there....SmileSmile

stool eating is because your pup has a weak digestive system...food given is not properly digested and if you notice, the stool has some chunk of kibbles or whatever you have fed him/her earlier...that's why your pup ate his/her own stool because it still contain some undigested food...

there is a product in the market where it helps in aiding digestion....i'm not too sure if it works but you can get if from petshops...

but do consult your vet...get him to recommend some diet plan for weak digestive system

hope it stops your pup from eating its own stool...good luck!!SmileSmile

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 20, 2003, 12:22 AM

Post #9 of 12 (5702 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Smile

That's Richie, a Jap Spitz mix Dachshund. a purebreed Japanese Spitz can only be in pure white colour Cool

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 22, 2003, 8:47 AM

Post #10 of 12 (5685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] stool eating [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for yer opinion ar

if a dog's urine looks like 'acid'...err...like hav bubbles leh?not normal ,right?anyway,u know wats tat or not?wahh..las time i let her pee under mango tree,all mango slowly 'drop' down lar,after tat i let her pee another place,then mango tree 'survive' liao

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2003, 10:26 PM

Post #11 of 12 (5663 views)
Shortcut

according to a book that i had read. mother dog will eat up her babies stool to prevent predators from senses it. so baby pup might also imitate their mums behaviour.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Nov 24, 2003, 5:51 AM

Post #12 of 12 (5632 views)
Shortcut

hi puplover467,

hmm..seems like ure having a headache with your pup eating poo poo...welll well..actually there are few reason why they consumed their own pooo...sometimes it may bcos they are bored..and another reason which is very common is that they are lack of enzyme..try getting those enzyme pills from petshop and give it to them as a supplement...continue until u see that they have stop eating their own poo...if it still continue after u've gave him the supplement then u might need to consult your vet to get a further advice..good luckWink
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my