Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Not new but just as well

HWONG
Novice

Sep 29, 2002, 7:55 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2753 views)
Shortcut
Not new but just as well Can't Post

Hello everybody, After a long absence, I thought I should intro myself a bit. If you can remember I was referred to as Napolean and flintstone Winkbut that is another story... I am finally fufilling my childhood dream of owning a Great Dane. I shall be collecting him tomorrow from a breeder in Johor. Although I had intended to get a female, I changed my mind after discussing the merits of each with the breeder. It has taken me 1 long year of searching for the right Dane with the standards and yet possess the courage that apparently had been bred out of the breed. I saw these qualities in the sire;a majestic black Dane. Although the dame is also black, my pup is fawn. I had purchased him ~2 months ago but left him with the breeder to get the ears cropped. Was told that his ears are standing now. To cater for his eventual size I am having his kennel built albeit late due to labour shortage. It will be another week or so B4 completion. So meanwhile I will crate train him which brings me to reactivate myself on this site.

There will be plenty of Questions from me for which I hope will receive your kind replies. The last time I kept a dog was 11 yrs ago. So I guess you can call me a beginner. I had just visited the pet store and was startled by cost of basic like leash, clippers etc.. My other hobby is koi keeping and I am an active forum participant at Koi.com.my. Like here, at koicom, we also get together for pond visits to discuss our hobby. I happen to be smitten by dogs too like our Webmaster Khoo. I ll difinitely be joining the trainning seesions at Padang merbok as soon as I figure out the logistics and some of the informal training I have been reading about.

And Arthur, I have been watching you, and must say you and Sharon amaze me with your dedication to your 3 kids and the prizes!!! Congrats Sorry you cudnt come to my place with Sharon. B4 I kill you with curiosity, I am your former neighbour!Wink My kids are waiting for your 1st litter.

An open invitation to our consultant Mr Derrick Kok: This forum has flourished tremendously in terms of participants and activity since and I think it is in need of your wisdom once again. Mr Kok, this forum misses your expertise, advice, mentoring on all matters relating to canine. I observe that you have been visiting the forum but have chosen to observe only. What say you ?Let the past be and come on back. I know I have no standing here but what the heck, I extend you my hand of friendship anyway and pls come back

les
K9 Maniac

Sep 29, 2002, 8:44 AM

Post #2 of 16 (2749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HWONG] Not new but just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Hwong,

Scooby Doo is also Great Dane rite? haha.. Scooby is my fav cartoon... since i was small. So.. wat are u goin to name him? Scooby? or that "puppy POWER" scraby?

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2002, 7:23 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Not new but just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

heheheh... one of Luckey's brothers is Scooby... we don't have a Scrappy yet, maybe the next litter. BUt my dogs are cockers, not great danes...

hey it was my childhood fantasy to have a great dane too, after the comic strip Marmaduke... actually still want one, but our next dog will likely be a golden, (my hubby's childhood dream)

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2002, 1:12 AM

Post #4 of 16 (2739 views)
Shortcut

A Great Dane huh....WOW! Hv not seen a Great Dane real life before but I know they are a very BIG breed.....how tall are they actually? Seen on TV when they stand on their 2 legs they can be the same height or even taller than an average person....I like the black and white coloured ones....they can look really elegant Cool

les
K9 Maniac

Sep 30, 2002, 1:38 AM

Post #5 of 16 (2736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Not new but just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha.. I prefer fawn... fawn is just so nice.

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2002, 2:33 AM

Post #6 of 16 (2734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Not new but just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they call the black and white ones Harlequins? Yeah saw these in a movie once and they look real nice. Not real!

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2002, 7:41 AM

Post #7 of 16 (2725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Not new but just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Yah i think it's called harlequin or mantle or something like that.....they look more like a giant statue!

valery

Sep 30, 2002, 4:32 PM

Post #8 of 16 (2719 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hwong,

Welcome back. Though I do not have a Great Dane, I remember standing in front of one at a neighbour's house wondering if it were a girafe (managed to fool my brotehr though!) I have a pug and asutralian sily terrier.

Valery

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 30, 2002, 7:29 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2711 views)
Shortcut

So you finally get a great dane to guard your KOI. I will have to think twice now if I decide to fish your KOI with fishing rod. Nice introduction and welcome back to the world of dogs.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

wkser
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2002, 10:49 PM

Post #10 of 16 (2704 views)
Shortcut

hi hwong,
welcome to the puppy forum......

regards
kangser and nous

HWONG
Novice

Oct 1, 2002, 3:19 AM

Post #11 of 16 (2694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Not new but just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all for the welcome, Danes are not like the goofy cartoon characters but I agree that they are very affectionate and wants your company. I brought him back on Sat and I must say that he has been a good boy. He also showed some of the qualities I was looking for. A male adult dane should be at least 32 ins at the shoulder.

We decided to name him MAC and he has responded to his new name almost instantly. The Breeder suggested that I should show him . I think he is a very regal looking fellow and may have a chance at it.BUT the show routine can be very taxing and I dont think I can hack it. So if I decide to, I will probably get a handler.

So Webmaster, coming this 19th? If you are prepared to pay Rm200 per gram for any kois caught, I will lend you the fishing gear.Sly

Khoobg
Webmaster

Oct 1, 2002, 5:42 AM

Post #12 of 16 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Tell me what type of food your KOI like most. I better prepare proper bait to maximise my catch. All MIB like fish for lunch anyway.

Arthur just mentioned to me that your were his neighbour. Well, the world is small.

I will be entering another dog for basic obedience class in Feb next year. Please come to join us in Pandang Merbok.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Oct 1, 2002, 5:43 AM)

boon
Doggyman

Oct 1, 2002, 7:13 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2682 views)
Shortcut

hi HWong,

Welcome aboard and great to hear that u own a great dane. I wish i could have one, but it will a bit too "giant" for me to host him/her in house. As i don wan to cage or let my beloves out side of the house, as they may :-

1. stolen by some one

2. the weather/temperature out door may not suitable for pups

3. fill secure and safer if i put them in house

I saw great dane in Astro Channel 32 (Pet for all), they look really great/giant and eat a lot. Heheh, i scared that the dane will bully my notti little angel (Bonney). By the way, Bonney is a yellow lab.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 2, 2002, 2:20 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2672 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hwong!

Sorry for the late rply but nevertheless a BIG WELCOME to the forum! Thks for the kind words on my 3 Schnauzers. I just want to take them to see what is their limits..

I will make it a point to drop by your new place soon. Can't wait to the your lovely new home, plus the koi pond and of course, your Great Dane! I have a link to a great dane obedience site. Will pass it to you later.

Rdgs Arthur

HWONG
Novice

Oct 2, 2002, 6:28 AM

Post #15 of 16 (2661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Not new but just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur,

My kids were asking whether MAC can be sent to U for training since uncle Arthur is so good at it. The amount of work you put in is admirable. I am not sure I can be so dedicated. Anyway my reply to the kids was; you will have no time to take care of the planes. Now we dont want planes falling off the skies.Wink

I am now trying my best to do some disciplining with tips from the books. Making sure he excrete at the right places, avoid tearing up the garden...etc I will be sending him to a trainer at 6 months.

By the way, I am hosting some Koi kakis on Oct 19th and have extended an invitation to Webmaster Khoo. Perhaps you guys can come together.

I hope to see U soon. Our rgds to Sharon and the MS

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 2, 2002, 8:03 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2656 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hwong,

Yes, Uncle Arthur would love to have Mac over but won't be able to train him as well as I would like. I will however can give you the URL for a Great Dane Obedience site which I find very informative. It's called doglogic and the URL is http://www.doglogic.com/obedienc.htm Do check it out. You won't regret it. Smile

Since Mac is 4mths old, you can monitor his height & weight with this general chart below: (info taken from this website at http://home.flash.net/%7Edby/ht&wt.htm)

***** START of QUOTE ********

HEIGHT & WEIGHT DATA FOR DANES
When reading the below, remember that all pups follow their own guide, and grow at their own rate--other guides (listed below chart), are better for knowing what is "right" than just ht/wt data.
That said, Here is a general guide:
Birth weight: 1-2 lbs
Week 1: 2-3 lbs
Week 2: 3-5 lbs
Week 3: 4-7 lbs
Week 4: 5-8 lbs
Week 6: 10-20 lbs
Month 2: 15-30 lbs (13-17")
Month 3: 30-45 lbs (17-22")
Month 4: 50-65 lbs (21-25")
Month 5: 65-85 lbs (25-30")
Month 6: 70-100 lbs (27-32")
Month 7: 75-110 lbs (27-33")
Month 8: 80-115 lbs. (27-34")
Month 9: 85-120 lbs. (28-34")
One year: 90-135 lbs (28-36")
Full grown: 100-190 lbs (28-38")
For males: 140-170 lbs. & 33-36" is typical.
for females: 110-140 lbs. & 30-33" is typical.

NOTE: Some danes may actually weigh less/be smaller than this chart indicates & a few may weigh more--but more in this case is probably an indication the pup is being overfed & growing too fast (or the dog in question is too fat). If not, he is likely overboned-so he *really* then needs to stay slim, as heavy boned dogs are more prone to joint & bone problems. **Remember the only requirement under the standard is 28" for females & 30" for males (and that was generally intended to apply specifically to adult danes).** When there was a weight guide in the standard, that 28" female was expected to weigh 100 lbs. & that 30" male 120 lbs. Balance is what the standard calls for, not just biggness!

LESS IS BETTER when it comes to growth in the first year. All Danes fed adequately will eventually reach their genetically programmed height & weight; don't rush to own the biggest dane baby on the block & don't forget that most people exagerate the size of their pup when measuring & telling others how big s/he is." (And some people are not above using these charts to be able to exagerrate, or answering your "stats" with bigger stats, just to "beat" you.) Also---correct exercise (calories out) is as important (esp. in this sedentary society!) to remember as food (calories in) choices.

***** END of QUOTE ********

Hope this helps. Rdgs Arthur

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my