First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boon
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2002, 9:48 PM

Post #1 of 34 (4990 views)
Shortcut
Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection Can't Post

Hi All,

Just brought Bonney to the vet for her 4th jab, as well as got heartguard for her to prevent from the deadly virus. I has been told that heartguart only good for L1, L2 and L3 stages of heartworm prevention (i believe L1 is level 1 and the like).

For those pup that more than 4 months old is categorized under L4 stage. Vet told me that L4 stage heartworm virus can not be killed by heartguard. This mean our lovely pups is not receive a 100% protection agains heartworm yet.

So the recommedation from vet is to let the pups have heartguard till about 10 months old and go back for the blood test to confirm whether the result is positive or negative. Positive means the pup is infected by heartworm virus, then further treatment will be required. If it is negative, then is time to go ahead with the Proheart injection that will again cover you belove pup for 1 year of heartworm virus. An annual vaccination of Proheart is require to continue provide you pup/dog a healthy life.

One question here : will this means that those puppies that take heartguard on monthly basis will be useless, since that L4 stage of heartworm virus will not be cure by heartgurad ? Is this also mean that heartguard is use less if the pup reach L4 stage of heartworm ? Will it be OK to leave till 10 months old for the Proheart vaccination ?

thanz

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 28, 2002, 11:55 PM

Post #2 of 34 (4985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boon,

Thks for sharing this info rdging heartworm injection for our furkids. Heartworm is a terrible diease which fortunately is preventable. Normally, a puppy from 3mths onwards would require heartworm protection. Heartguard is usually given at this stage. The heartworm larvae takes about 4-5mths to mature. Thus, a doggie on heartguard would be protected (L1-L3). So theoritically, if the heartguard treament is continued for the rest of a dog's life, then any heartworm larvae would be killed even before reaching L4 stage. Of course, one could start the heartworm injection right away at 3-4mths, but then it is not advisable as the puppy is still not mature yet. That's the reason why the injection is recommended from 10mths onwards as the weight is nearly that of adulthood and thus the injected dosage can be administered accordingly for yearlong protection.

Now if we are talking about an adult dog who has never been on any heartworm treatment before, then logically, we would need to test the dog first for presence of the heartworm larvae. If the test is positive, then immediate treatment should begin. If the test is -ve, then one would have the option to either go for the traditional monthly heartguard method or the newer yearly heartworm injection.

In short, I believe using heartguard is still a viable option even in the face of this new info (ie. L4 larvae being immune to heartguard.) Hopefully this helps.

Rdgs Arthur

boon
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2002, 12:33 AM

Post #3 of 34 (4982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur,

Thanz for your clarification and further explaination. So this will means that, i can go ahead for the blood test right ?

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

leopui
K9 Maniac

Sep 29, 2002, 7:45 AM

Post #4 of 34 (4977 views)
Shortcut

Information from Arthur is correct!!! Prevention is always the best move!
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 29, 2002, 5:44 PM

Post #5 of 34 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon

Heartworm is a worm and not a virus. It is transmitted from dog to dog via mosquito that carry eggs in the blood that they suck.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

boon
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2002, 5:02 PM

Post #6 of 34 (4964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Khoo,

Em....got it, now i'm clear about this, thank you for your help and especially Arthur.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 1:53 AM

Post #7 of 34 (4898 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur, i only got to know about this disease a few days ago...Shocked and i am so worried for Jaz as she's a year old now and i wasn't aware about this. I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow to get her tested and done... what i am afraid is that she's already a year old now.. what if she's tested positive.. i think i'll faint man!Unsure anyway, if she's negative, then would you reconmend to go for annual injection or tablets? if tablets, then how often should she take it??

arthur
ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 2:11 AM

Post #8 of 34 (4895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jaz,

Better be aware now than never! Unsure Now that you know, it is advisable to take Jaz for the heartworm test. The vet would need to draw a bit of blood and drop it into the test kit. Wait a few minutes and the results would be shown. Kinda like pregancy test type of kits..

If it is -ve, hurray! Now you should decide whether to go for the yearly injection or monthly tablets. Since Jaz is 1yr+, you might want to consider the yearly injection. It works out to be roughly the same cost vs the monthly tablets. Pros: Jaz will always be protected for 1 year! No fear of missing the monthly tablets. Cons: One time pain on the wallet.. RM100+ I'm told. Unsure

If however the test is +ve, then don't panic. Go for a 2nd test by another vet for confirmation. If still +ve, then consult with the vet on the next course of treatment. However chances of Jaz having heartworm is slim especially if kept indoors, long coated and still reasonably active.

Rdgs Arthur

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 2:20 AM

Post #9 of 34 (4892 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur,

Thanks again for the useful advise... Jaz will be going to the vet tomorrow for the test.. hopefully it comes out -ve, and fork out RM100+ on the injection Frown.. there goes my pocket money...

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2003, 6:15 AM

Post #10 of 34 (4889 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

Which vet r u going to bring Jaz. The one near the Japanese Garden is not bad. Very professional. Bonney use to go there fro injection and deworm. But u gotta to pay a bit more for that loh. Heheh, I think is worst it lah. Keep us update on Jaz' progression and will keep my finger cross for Jaz. She will be free from heartworm.Wink

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 6:22 AM

Post #11 of 34 (4887 views)
Shortcut

hi ah boon!

are you going to join us on 9th Feb? My friend just adopted a new dog, it's a Bernesse Mountain Dog.. and she's so adorable, except abit too skinny, guess the previous owner didn't do a very good job taking care of the dog, the previous owner had 30 over dogs!!! gosh! so not much attention was given to this dog, i suppose, anyway, i think the vet you mention is called Peng Aun, Gina was recommending me to go there as well and that's where Jaz went for all her medical checkups and vacination as wellSmile. Couldn't wake up in time to send her there today, so i will bring along my friend's dog there for medical check up perhaps as well one of these days...

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2003, 6:39 AM

Post #12 of 34 (4886 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

Ahahaha, yeap is that one, but the rules here are not allow to mentioned the pet shop name neither the vet's name. So i will assume u know which one, ahahha, so which one was attending Jaz during all her injection, Teoh or Goh?

Ah...a Berner, what a good breed, where did ur friend adopted the berner ? In penang as well ? wowowowowoow i can;t imagine 30 over dogs in a house, and how much time can the owner spend with each of them. Actually a Berner look gorgeous and elegant, but hard to find in Malaysia. Since u mentioned u friend adopted one, is the berner a purebreed or ......hahhaha just a bit kaypo. Hope u don mind. Do u have MSN or ICQ ?

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 6:51 AM

Post #13 of 34 (4885 views)
Shortcut

noted, ah boon... will try not mention any names .. i am not sure which vet attend to jaz but usually is the younger wan... You've actually seen the new owner of the Berner before.. she and her boyfriend came over to the beach party we held a few weeks ago... and this is a pure breed... very nice and tame.. it was lucky that she manage to adopt it.... and just went over for de-tick and bathing.. there's just too much ticks on her and she's quite skinny... Unsure, i've just given her some vitamins to feed the dog. If you are coming on the 9th Feb for the party, she will bring her new dog along as well!

My MSN : hooijang@hotmail.com

Cheers!

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2003, 7:04 AM

Post #14 of 34 (4885 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

Ah, OK added u to my MSN list, but didn't see u online. Oh...u mean i saw the couple before ? next time must pay attention on who i met, ahahhaa, was too bz with Bonney. Pai seh ah...

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 4:18 PM

Post #15 of 34 (4879 views)
Shortcut

oh, i went off line as my friend came over to my place last nite. Yeah, they are Ashley's friends. I'll introduce them to you on our next outing then!Smile

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2003, 4:43 PM

Post #16 of 34 (4877 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

Ah...OKOK. Thanz

ashley
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 7:21 PM

Post #17 of 34 (4867 views)
Shortcut

hi Liza , U mean Ai Lin Bf have new dog right?
may be tonight i will go to see the dog! How is Jaz ? do u do the test ? I usually go to Peng Aun vet also.
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #18 of 34 (4860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

hie ashley,

the dog belongs to ai lin and her bfSmile so you coming tonite? i'll be there also but not with Jaz
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

ashley
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 10:11 PM

Post #19 of 34 (4858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi eve, if i free i will go to the vet also cos my ginger eye donow what happen to her. I need to bring her to see doctor! If i can't make it i will go to Metay Mummy house to see this sweet girl!!Wink
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 10:47 PM

Post #20 of 34 (4854 views)
Shortcut

helo, you will be bringing ginger or hei hie?Smile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

ashley
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 11:18 PM

Post #21 of 34 (4851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi eve, i will bring Ginger my little princess always sick. Make her mummy pocket broken nia!!Crazy
But hope Dr say she ok!!UnsureUnimpressed
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 11:25 PM

Post #22 of 34 (4848 views)
Shortcut

Yeah Ashley, it's Ai Lin's dog.. sooooo cute you know!!! i didn't want her to take away the dog that nite when they came over to my house!!! my dad loves it as well!!!

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jan 21, 2003, 11:26 PM

Post #23 of 34 (4848 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Ashley, don worry, sure ginger will be fine Smile.

Smile Eliza

ashley
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 12:49 AM

Post #24 of 34 (4843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] Heartworm Prevention & Annual Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi eliza TQ!! i hope her eye well be nothing, cos my friend took me may be lack of Vitamin. Hope is a small problem.Unsure
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 24, 2003, 5:59 AM

Post #25 of 34 (4826 views)
Shortcut

hi ashley, is your dog better now? could it be the same problem as Metay is having? i think metay should be cure in a few weeks time. really nice dog!Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my