My dog hates her crate so much!!!

jason
Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2001, 1:05 AM

Post #1 of 10 (3861 views)
Shortcut
My dog hates her crate so much!!! Can't Post

Hi ... me again Smile,

Since I adopted my little boxer 4 months ago, she hated her crate so much until each time I try to persuade her to go in, she sure refuse to do that. So, I have to lift her up and put her insideFrown. I know that she is an outgoing dog and always like to play around or if not, just stay outside her crate. But, I heard that some other dogs do like to sleep and rest inside their crate whenever they are tire or need some 'sense of safeness'. For mine, I definitely can be sure that she will say NO NO NO to her cratePirate!! Anyway, I still put her in the crate for quite a long time everyday and hope she will be fine later with her lovely home Smile. Any comments?

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Dec 14, 2001, 2:51 AM

Post #2 of 10 (3856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] My dog hates her crate so much!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe if you try to lure her in by putting her favourite toy/treat in and encourage her to go in willingly...Mine runs in the moment I open the crate because she knows that when I put her in her crate she's going for a joy ride from JB-KL and vice versa...Smile

Get her to think that the crate is fun..she probably hates the crate because it means you won't be with her or playing with her....I put mine in a room when I want to go out and everytime I stand in the room and call her she doesn't wanna come....so I started playing with her in the room..sleep with her in the room..after awhile she doesn't mind coming in..because she doesn't know whether I'm going to play with her or leave her there...

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

leopui
K9 Maniac

Dec 14, 2001, 10:31 AM

Post #3 of 10 (3849 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jason,

To get your dog used to it kennel crate, you must first make sure the kennel crate is the appropriate sized crate to fit it height with at least 2 inches higher than her head level.

Just make it pleasant for her and introduce the crate slowly. You can start (like Derrick have mentioned) by keeping his toys in there or throwing his favorite toy inside. Leave the door open and let her get use to going in and out of hers crate.

There are also other owners that even feed their dogs inside. Eventually, she will enter on her own. In the first few times, put her inside with her favorite chew toy or bone. Close the door and keep her in for a few minutes. She might start to protest, ignore her. When she is quiet and busy chewing her bone, then you open the door. Chances are, she might not want to leave or if she does, she'll think "Hey - that wasn't so bad!"

Everytime you crate her, leave something for her to keep her occupied and she'll not mind staying in there. But remember, get the appropriate size and make sure you have an allowance for when she grows to full size.

I do my crate training while the pup is as young as six weeks old. I would just leave two to three adult size crates (without the door) inside their area and let them feel free in and out. This would eventually help as their growth.

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

randyteh
Novice

Dec 15, 2001, 9:22 AM

Post #4 of 10 (3844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] My dog hates her crate so much!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

well i build a crate for my lab with some plywood. it takes me about a week to build it. well when i put her in, she will start to destroy the crate once i go into the house. when i come out to see her one part of the wood will be bitten off and she barke none stop. she is six months old and she destroys everything that is inside the crate. she destroys wood, rubber map and even those fence. now i tie her up next to the fence and the crate is empty everyday
randy

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 15, 2001, 4:49 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [randyteh] My dog hates her crate so much!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Randy,
I am sorry to hear that U have so much of problems with your puppy.
May I suggest that U visit the forum, click under "dog & puppy training"(there are 13threads & 88postings) or "behav...." (3threads&33postings), please go through some of them, perhaps you will find a solution there.
Regards.

jason
Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2001, 5:02 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [randyteh] My dog hates her crate so much!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Randy,

I suggest that you can buy a metal crate for your dog if you like to do crate training. Chewing is a normal behavior for puppies. My boxer used to do that frequently when she was 3-5 month old, but now she is under control. So, don't worry to much about this, hopefully it will disappear when adult.

Oh, one thing ... you must scold with the say 'NO' when she does that!

regards

(This post was edited by jason on Dec 15, 2001, 5:14 PM)

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2001, 3:12 AM

Post #7 of 10 (3835 views)
Shortcut

Hi Randy...yeap all pups do chew..maybe when you catch your puppy chewing, you growl at her to stop then you give her a toy and encourage her to chew that...I do that and the number of things destroyed in my house is lesser..

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2002, 8:54 AM

Post #8 of 10 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] My dog hates her crate so much!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haa... crate problem again for my 8 months old boxer. Now, she is very destructive! So, I need to crate her every night except that I put her on
leash throughout the day. But, everynight I have to scold her to get into
her crate and sometime even caned her to make her inside. Pity .... .
Besides, she will bark to protest inside her crate for some while ...I think
the main problem is how to control the destructive behavior among boxers?

Any comments?

Thanks.& regards

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Jan 23, 2002, 9:10 PM)

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2002, 7:20 PM

Post #9 of 10 (3779 views)
Shortcut

She's going through that destructive stage, eh? hehe.. I remember when my pup went through that... it was hell! Anyway, you can try giving her "ice cloth" to chew...

What you do is take an old rag which you no longer use and soak it in water. Then put the wet cloth in the freezer and let it freeze. Once it's hardened, you can give it to the pup to chew. The coldness will numb the pain in your puppy's gums (Pups chew because their gums hurt during the teeth growing process). I tried it with my GSD, and the destructiveness lessened...

Also, you can try exercising her. And when I say exercise, I mean exercise! Get her really tired.. use up her hyper energy! But don't overdo it! Smile

-= Tisha =-

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2002, 11:07 PM

Post #10 of 10 (3771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] My dog hates her crate so much!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Tish!
She is now ok to sleep inside her crate everynight. I think the mature in dog will change many things Wink.

Regards

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my