Dalmatian woes!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

christine
Novice

Sep 25, 2002, 5:45 PM

Post #1 of 41 (10538 views)
Shortcut
Dalmatian woes! Can't Post

Mad I am so angry with my coming one yr old Dalmatian, Chaz. He is so naughty, I mean when he was a pup, I can understand when he chew on my most adored slippers and sandals, but then again, he ONLY chews on mine when there's so many others around 'em!! Why?? And now after months of not chewing, this morning I caught him, devouring the rest of my Converse sandals! Sigh.. I am so mad at him! Is it because I didn't give him enough attention? Or why he only destroys mine and not my mum's or someone else's? Crazy And since he is a male, he is also beginning to pee on tyres and poles and such, and my mum is screaming at the top of her lungs! How to prevent that from happening? Please help me and stop reading without a reply!! Sheesh... Unsure

Christine

Wink

christine

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2002, 6:10 PM

Post #2 of 41 (10531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [christine] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Christine,

For the shoes chewing, I think prevention is the best cure for it. If we don't want our shoes/slippers to be chewed up, then the best solution is to place them out of reach from our doggy. As right now, even my doggy doesn't really chew on shoes anymore (she is 1 year old), but we make sure that none of the shoes is of her reach.

For the male dog to pee on tyres and pole , if I am not wrong, it is them trying to mark their teritory (act of showing the dominent side of them and it is very normal for male dog) and to correct it, we need to do it slowly and really monitor them closely, we need to pull them away at the moment the do it and give a firm "NO". But all this take alot of patience. Or, what you can do is to get some spray that you can get from the petstore (that will keep dog away) and spray it on those thing that you don't want them to get near.

Regards,

KBS

christine
Novice

Sep 25, 2002, 6:16 PM

Post #3 of 41 (10528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The only way is to keep everything out of their reach huh? Sigh.. can't they be taught or something? Are there any boarding home in Malaysia where I can send my dogs for obedience training or something like that?

And I think I will go get the spray coz he is really getting out of hand, can't sit around and wait for him to pee!

Wink

christine

May
Old Hand

Sep 25, 2002, 6:34 PM

Post #4 of 41 (10526 views)
Shortcut

Hi Christine,

Another way you could consider is to neuter your pet (that's if you don't want to breed him). A neuter male will lessen the territory marking problem. He will also appear more calmer and will not roam.

As for the training part, MKA does provide training at Padang Merbok. I think it is better for you to attend the training together with your dog rather than sending him to the training centre. The training by MKA conducted once a week which is on Sunday for 1 hour.

As for now, removing everything that he can reach to control his chewing behaviour. Maybe you could buy him some chew toys and rawhide. That will keep him busy for a while.

christine
Novice

Sep 25, 2002, 6:45 PM

Post #5 of 41 (10525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Neuter? No!! He is not even a yr old.. cant do that to him! Poor dear..

Hmm.. i bought him lotsa stuff to chew on but he wants only MINE!! Anyways abt the, do I just call them up to enquire? Is it the one at Damansara?

My mum is gonna continue keeping him on leash if he doesnt stop peeing on the tyres and such! I can't do anything abt it. So I need to train him to stop doing it or else, he'll never be a free dog! Sigh..Unsure

I need to send him to boarding schools 'coz he is totally out of control when I take him out for walks! Man I nearly got killed and I sprained my ankle once too! I don't dare to bring him out coz he is very strong and I tried using the pull the leash maneovoure so that it'll sorta choke and he wont walk so fast and pulling me, BUT he doesn't care! Like retarded or something! He rather have difficulty breathing than to slow down! Sigh... I'm breathless already thinking abt what to do to him! Crazy

Wink

christine

May
Old Hand

Sep 25, 2002, 6:59 PM

Post #6 of 41 (10524 views)
Shortcut

Neutering is good for your dog and it can be done when the dog reach 6 months and above. I send my bitch for spaying when she's about 7 months old. Neutering will also lessen the chance your dog get cancer. There's a topic in the forum that discuss about spaying and neutering.

MKA is located at Taman Tun Dr Ismail. MKA website is .

I train my doggie myself as I don't have the transportation to Padang Merbok. You can try to surf the net to get info for the training method.

wkser
ALPHA

Sep 25, 2002, 7:36 PM

Post #7 of 41 (10521 views)
Shortcut

hi,
i think the best way you wan you dalmation to stop chewing .........he need more exercise like go for a walk in the evening or maybe leave him with some toys let him bite.....if he is tired he will leave your sandals or shoes alone.....happy trying

regards
kangser and nous

christine
Novice

Sep 25, 2002, 11:46 PM

Post #8 of 41 (10508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did! I did buy him toys and such but still he prefers my sandals!

And for walks? Like i said, he is very strong and i nearly got killed a few times taking him out.. he drags me along most of the time and when i pull back the leash, he doesnt care.. he rather choke to death than slow down! so he will walk with that awful noise coz he is choking and walking at the same time.. no not walking.. running!! he wont stay put or listen to command once he is out with the leash!Pirate

Wink

christine

les
K9 Maniac

Sep 25, 2002, 11:51 PM

Post #9 of 41 (10507 views)
Shortcut

Christine,

Maybe u can try it in the house.. i mean the in the compound.. put him on leash.. then try walk him around.. practise more... then when u think he is ready... try take him for a walk outside.

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

christine
Novice

Sep 26, 2002, 12:04 AM

Post #10 of 41 (10503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

oh darling les..

believe me.. i've tried training him from the house compound.. yes.. even give him treats and such when he does good things.. but once he is outta the hse!! all hell breaks loose!

my pug is even more obedient than him.. i didnt know dalmatian's are such a menace!

Wink

christine

wkser
ALPHA

Sep 26, 2002, 12:20 AM

Post #11 of 41 (10502 views)
Shortcut

hi christine,
i think you doggie need obedience trainning......we will be having clicker trainning maybe you can drop by you might get some tips for your dalmation........

regards
kangser and nous

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2002, 12:23 AM

Post #12 of 41 (10500 views)
Shortcut

Hi Christine,

Actually, it would be good if you can enrol ur doggy at least for the basic obedient course conducted by MKA. Do check out and call them up for details of the next class. I believe all dogs can be trained (moreover ur doggy is only 1 year old), and most of the time, it is the method we used that is wrong. And normally, it is better for you to train the dog urself instead of sending them to training school and trained by other ppl. As afterall, it is you that is going to stay with ur doggy and we need to have their respect in the end and not the other trainers.

Sometimes for them to be destructive might be their way of showing their frustration of being too bored? wanting to spend more time with you? Or maybe jealousy of other household pets? Doggy at this age is very playful and energetic, they needs a lot of exercises.

Good Luck,

KBS

christine
Novice

Sep 26, 2002, 12:23 AM

Post #13 of 41 (10500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx wkser! Smile

totally think Chaz need it.. pls help!

where and when? what is clicker training? Unimpressed

Wink

christine

wkser
ALPHA

Sep 26, 2002, 12:44 AM

Post #14 of 41 (10497 views)
Shortcut

hi christine,
we will have the next training next saturday.......you can check more information at the puppies and dogs trainning under the topic clicker training............Smile

regards
kangser and nous

christine
Novice

Sep 26, 2002, 2:18 AM

Post #15 of 41 (10488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

ever since i got the dalmatian, he has been trying to get more attention as i already have another dog which is a 6 yr old Pug. i have to protect the smaller one coz well, she is SMALL and Chaz, my dalmatian always tries to hit her or jump on her you know? maybe thats why he is destroying things like you say because i give more attention to Curly my Pug. but no choice, he is too rough with my Curly. She is always running away from him. Frown

and exercise.. i totally have no more idea what to do with him because I swear off taking him outdoors as he is too wild you know? like a wild horse! once he is out of the hse, i have to pull him! he will be the one dragging me and i feel sorry for his neck coz the leash is already straining very badly and he always have difficulties breathing because he pull forward too much on the leash! Unsure

and abt the clicker training, i saw it on tv.. i think its pretty pro but then it works really well for pups not older dogs.. i am interested abt the obedience training by MKA.. i'll call them and ask.. but i think my training for doggies can only start next year as i am out of town at the moment.. hopefully by then u guys are still available.. i'll check in once in a while here for sure .. Wink

Wink

christine

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Sep 29, 2002, 6:08 PM

Post #16 of 41 (10470 views)
Shortcut

Hi

I understand exactly what you mean about Chaz pulling. One of my dogs Niles is a puller. My friend who is a dog trainer told me that some dogs just love to pull, they really get a buzz out of it.
Well the main thing I find that helps him not to pull so much is to walk him more often, the more often I walk him the less he pulls. I really notice the difference if I haven't taken him out for a while, he is just tooooo excited and pulls my arm out of it's socket ... sometimes he pulls sooo much he is just standing on his back legs while I'm pulling so hard his front legs have left the ground.
So I'd have to suggest take him out as often as you can. Maybe if he is pulling then only for a very short walk, the better he behaves the longer the walk can be, then he might get to know that less pulling means more fun for him.

christine
Novice

Sep 30, 2002, 5:34 PM

Post #17 of 41 (10457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah I see.. at least someone here share the same experience like me.. yeah, i pulled him so hard til his fore feet aint on the ground no more!! sheesh... i guess i'll have to take him out more often huh.. but i will be risking my life everytime i do that!! Hmm.. Shocked

Wink

christine

les
K9 Maniac

Oct 1, 2002, 1:43 AM

Post #18 of 41 (10444 views)
Shortcut

Insurance?

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

christine
Novice

Oct 1, 2002, 6:26 AM

Post #19 of 41 (10436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

haha.. yeah.. one for me, one for chaz.. sheesh..Sly

Wink

christine

Khoobg
Webmaster / Moderator

Oct 1, 2002, 5:41 PM

Post #20 of 41 (10426 views)
Shortcut

Christine,

If you dal is pulling you too much each time you walk him, you will need to get a choke chain + a strong leash. Each time when your Dal try to pull, give a jerk and the choke will choke him to stop him from pulling. Repeat that process as many time as your Dal pull and you will soon see the result. Anyway, this is the most basic thing that we learnt in Obedience Training where we train our dog to walk next to us without pulling at all. At the advance training class such as novice class, dogs are train to walk side by side with you off leash. Join the training class and your problem will be solved.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

wkser
ALPHA

Oct 1, 2002, 6:30 PM

Post #21 of 41 (10423 views)
Shortcut

hi christine,
i think the best thing you dun your doggie to bite anything at all get a pepper spray .....spray on the thing you doesn't want them to bite the will leave it alone when they smeil the pepper smell......or for shoes like what kbs mention put somewhere high or out thier reach........

regards
kangser and nous

christine
Novice

Oct 1, 2002, 8:07 PM

Post #22 of 41 (10419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

A choke chain.. hmm.. i read on other posts from members and most of them discourage the use of that!? Shocked I am not sure.. should I get it? Coz I already have a normal leash and he is already choking every time I take him out for walks but he is not bothered by it at all! I pulled hard so many times until he rather sits down in the middle of the road and walk no more. And when I start to walk again, he once again rushed to the front and doesnt bother whether he is going to die of choking or not! Yes I will try and do that until he understands because I read abt the training as well, and it seems to work for other dogs.. I'll try still, otherwise, anyhow, I will bring him to MKA for the training next year.. by then he'll be abt 2 yrs old.. still can be brought to training right?

Anyhow, thanx all.. Sly

Wink

christine

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 2, 2002, 4:07 AM

Post #23 of 41 (10409 views)
Shortcut

well i am planning to bring my nearly 3 yr old dog Jupey to the training this month when it starts. i'm sure your 2 yr old is not too old...

Choke chains are fine when you use them on a leash... if the dog stops pulling, they stop choking. only dangerous if you leave it on all the time without supervision, esp. for the smaller breeds... coz if it catches on something and the dog can't get loose, he can panic and strangle himself...

christine
Novice

Oct 2, 2002, 4:43 AM

Post #24 of 41 (10407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Dalmatian woes! [In reply to] Can't Post

okie! no problem then.. next yr when i have more free time minus the travelling, i'll send both my Dalmatian and Pug for training if they're gonna stay in the new hse! Wink

And the pepper spray thing is a good idea too ! I can get it anywhere right? Any pet shop will do? I think I should go to the one in Midvalley. Laugh

Wink

christine

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 2, 2002, 5:43 AM

Post #25 of 41 (10401 views)
Shortcut

hehe... yeah... hope it works... jupey once toook this bar of soap in his mouth and wouldnt let go. he didnt care about taste.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my