Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Abnormal Eating Manner

Cecilia74
Dog Kichi

Sep 24, 2002, 5:48 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Abnormal Eating Manner Can't Post

Since the day 1 I brought Munji home, the way she eats as if she has not been eaten for many days. Everytime she eats, I've to forcefully hold back her 2 front legs & her head as she'll force herself down the bowl with her back legs spreading wide & pushing upfront. If I let go of her, she'll force herself into the bowl until her nose is soaked & she'll choke. And, her front legs have the tendency to step inside the bowl. Also, when I put the bowl down, she doesn't where to find it. I've to take her head to the bowl & put her head to it. I thought she was blind but she can come to me. I've seen other puppies eating, Munji seems very abnormal. How to train her?

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 25, 2002, 12:51 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cecilia74] Abnormal Eating Manner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cecilia,

Try raising the bowl up to her chest level. This way she'll have a better posture in eating and the food will have a straight path down the gullet. This also helps to reduce the amount of air ingested during feeding will in large breed can produce bloat (stomach swelling).

If you are feeding a single meal a day, change it to 2-3 times a day and divide the daily portion accordingly. Puppies at Mumji stage does get hungry often!

Hope this helps...Rdgs Arthur

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 25, 2002, 6:43 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cecilia74] Abnormal Eating Manner [In reply to] Can't Post

Cecelia,

Munji is still so young and at this age, she need to be fed three to four times a day. Forget about training her at this stage.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Cecilia74
Dog Kichi

Sep 25, 2002, 6:00 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Abnormal Eating Manner [In reply to] Can't Post

I already tried rasing the bowl but she kept forcing herself with her 2 front legs to go up & in the bowl. So, I let her in it & she stepped on her own food & kept forcing herself unfront until the bowl is behind her or overturn & she doesn't know where to get it again.

I tried pouring the food on a paper & she force herself again to the floor, pushing upfront. Then, this morning, I tried with a smaller bowl which the size is only enough to accommodate her head so that her legs can't get in. Still, she forced her head into the food with her 4 legs spreading & pushing ahead. This time, I just hold the bowl only & ocasionally pull down her 2 front legs & pull out her head to avoid her being choked. I feed her 4-5 times a day depending on her needs - I let her eat until she's full.

I remember before Bobby's puppies being given away, they don't behave this way. I just need to put the bowl down & they'll just lick/eat from it. Is it because Munji doesn't have a mother with her & that's why she doesn't know how to eat because she never learn from other dogs? I tried showing her how to eat with her mouth by licking my own food, but she's still soak her head in the food. I'll wait & see when she'll learn.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my