Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How can i teach my puppy to jump up

Tightlines
New User

Oct 7, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2479 views)
Shortcut
How can i teach my puppy to jump up Can't Post

Any ideas on how to encourage and teach my 4 month old maltese pup to jump up on the couch for instance?

I try using treats to encourage her but she still wont get the courage to make the effort to jump up, she eventually just gives up and sits there staring at me waiting for me to make the next move.

I am beginning to lose my voice from the constant verbal encouragment i am giving her.

Anyone have any better suggestions or methods?

(This post was edited by Tightlines on Oct 7, 2003, 10:22 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 8, 2003, 12:35 AM

Post #2 of 12 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tightlines] How can i teach my puppy to jump up [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile ...

At 4 months ... it may not be so good to have a pup jumping up (and then presumably down) from heights ... their bones are still growing and relatively soft/weak ... Too much jumping before bones & skeletal structure are fully developed can cause serious problems later on ... so do be careful ...

On the lighter side of things ... most owners would like their doggies not to jump so much ... *laughs* ... Neeways ... a couch is pretty high for a little Maltese ... rather daunting even ... try teaching your little 'un something else ... there are loads of other play tricks to try ...

Cheers ... Smile

sweeeng
ALPHA

Oct 8, 2003, 5:37 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2453 views)
Shortcut

My suggestion is not to force her to do what she doesn't dare to do, lor.... I myself has 4 maltese and only 1 don't dare to jump no matter how much we tried teaching him... Even jumping down from the couch or running downstair, he's very scare... everytime i need to count 1,2,3 to gif him some confident or mayb hold him then only he dares to do so.

Btw, have you added your maltese's name in the toy breed section under maltese?? Please do so... Thanks

regards,
sweeeng

kitten
Dog Kichi

Oct 8, 2003, 7:01 PM

Post #4 of 12 (2450 views)
Shortcut

hahaha wei, when ur puppy learn that trick, u r going to regret teaching it to him...Sly. cause ur doggie will apply it to anywhere he can. I showed mine how to climb the stairs by showin her the steps. 1) Put front paws on steps 2) Put back paws on steps. After that, she was tearing up and down the staircases for fun. Don't put too much pressure on ur doggie for now. For maltese or shih tzu, they'll normally pick it up after a while. Smile Start your doggie on something of a non-threatening low height first.

Laura & Babe

PSD
ALPHA

Oct 8, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #5 of 12 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Tightlines?????Shocked R u into fishing....lolTongue

Anyway,

Maltese can be a bubly dog and quite an energetic one too. B careful what you wish for in a puppy. Very soon you will have problem keeping them off the couch, off the bed and off you once they knows how to jump. Anyway, I believe you have weighted your decision and will leave this with you.

The method for the jump and any other tricks are actually the same. The principal behind it is to start from nothing and build up the challenge. What I'm trying to say is for example the jump, is to make the height possible for the dog first. In your case, I would use a 2 inch stick and lay it on the ground and walk the dog over the stick. When the dog becomes very comfortable to do it, take it another inch higher where the dog will have to give a slight jump to cross. Set up for success from the begining meaning do not put the stick so high that the dog will hesitate or worse still turn back into avoidance. Once the dog can jump comfortably you incorporate a word for that action. Say "jump" the moment the dog is doing the action. This needs to be done many times like 50-60 times sometimes 100 times for the puppy to associate the word with action. Always praise and food for success. Your dog will be the best jumper in future when you say the cue word "jump"

Caution, at 4 month old please no jumping over anything more than 2-3 inches in height but you can use the stick suggestion as above first to create a positive inprint on the jumps then migrate to more challenging heights. Keep the experience positive during the learning phase and enjoyable for the dog and you too. All things negative and forceful like pulling, pushing, lifting the puppy over...etc...etc should not be done. Let the puppy do it naturally and he will gain his confidence faster. Good luck and happy trying.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

(This post was edited by PSD on Oct 8, 2003, 8:34 PM)

paulynn
ALPHA

Oct 9, 2003, 12:21 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2422 views)
Shortcut

Maybe your pup is still young.But how i train my dog to Jump (couch or just JUMP) is different from you.No treats but what i do is i put a stick on the driveway(not too high though) and i will stand on the other side of the drive way and say"Here boy/girl..come come " of course by then it's best that u have a rawhide or treats with you.Something that they're crave for ..not normal treats but those that they LOVE! First few times mightn't be succesful as even my pup crawled(YES underneath the STICK!) but they'll get the hang of it.Same goes to the couch thing.If u want ur pup to jump onto the couch...just put ur pup's fave treat on the couch and hopefully it'll jump!Both my dogs are very jumpy so i have no problems trainning them..except for stay as they both get excited really fast !!

GOOD LUCK!Get well soon too..no point saying loudly when she doesn't understand...drink herbal tea yeah?

Kowpa

Oct 11, 2003, 8:27 AM

Post #7 of 12 (2400 views)
Shortcut

ur treat is not interesting enough or she might be full Ist teach him to place her front paws on the edge of the couch when the paws touches the couch say yes n praise there's a gooooood boy or girl give her/him the treat after a week just throw the treat on the couch and see what reaction from him/her

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 22, 2004, 4:24 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2288 views)
Shortcut

just hold a dog treat put it up above the dog's head and say jump. ( Say it a few times) If the dog jumps then put the treat into the dog's mouth.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 22, 2004, 5:46 AM

Post #9 of 12 (2286 views)
Shortcut

hi there

i didn't really train him to jump. as you all know , puppies love to bite cloth. coincidence everytime i let him roam in my house, he would go to the same spot to look for the cloth. i always use the cloth to play him by letting him run and grab the cloth. there are times i put cloth a bit high in the air, and he jumps for it. he jumps voluntarily. Smile

nairud
K9 Maniac

Oct 1, 2004, 1:54 AM

Post #10 of 12 (2201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] How can i teach my puppy to jump up [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

i don't think it's recommendable to use clothe and play around with Henry. next time when you're hanging your clothes out to dry in the sun, he's jump and grab a few and start chewing it already. better becareful of what you're using to train Henry to jump

Join the JRT(Lil' Terrorist) Zone

Click me to join Piper in DogSter

Sorely missed, Grizzley and Whitey the Terrier

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 1, 2004, 2:09 AM

Post #11 of 12 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nairud] How can i teach my puppy to jump up [In reply to] Can't Post

oh. then how to teach henry to jump if not to used cloth as not advisable. i used cloth not to train him but is to distract him to come here. Tongue

jadeng
Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2004, 9:31 PM

Post #12 of 12 (2126 views)
Shortcut

Slyok c...veryeasy....

1. find a place, like conridor. must have a wall. u sit down, put one of ur leg on wall, dun so tall lah. just like noraml. like make a up side down v

2. put ur puppy on ur right hand side ( left also can )

3. put the treat ( choose something she or he most like it ) on ur left hand side.

4. when puppy smell the taste, ofcoz he will try to eat right? he will cross ur leg n try to take the treat, when the time he cross, u said "jump"

5. repeat few time per day. so later when u just put up ur beautiful leg, puppy will jump.

try it.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my