Distemper / other deadly virus..

cdmoo
ALPHA

Sep 23, 2002, 5:55 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5492 views)
Shortcut
Distemper / other deadly virus.. Can't Post

hi there,

There're a lot of postings on distemper and some other kind of deadly virus such as parvo in the forum. Also, discouragement from forum members from buying pets from the pet shop due to above.

I have the following questions which in my mind for sometime, and hopefully able to get a real answer from the forum:

1. If the pets in the pet shop already infected with virus, why don't they die there instead of die in the new home, (as what we've heard) ? If the pet shop already has such virus, wouldn't they just close shop as eventually all the pets will be dead anyway?

2. If the neighbour's pets died of distemper, how do we prevent our pets from getting the virus?

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

boon
Doggyman

Sep 23, 2002, 7:00 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Distemper / other deadly virus.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Moo,

I had this Q for a while also, may be the pet wt bought back is just about time fo the virus to get worse or may be the time pup spend in pet shop is just a week or so or may just a few days.

So those virus won't kill the lovely pup immediately.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

mackay_low

Sep 24, 2002, 12:53 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5471 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I have not came across all these before. But, to me, I think it is usually the change of environment or stress that cause all these to happen. It is often to be noticed that a puppy usually will be shy for a day or two when you first bring him home, hence this is where the stress occurs.

Puppies will usually have maternal antibodies passed on from the mother through the milk of their mother on the first few days (colestrom). This will ensure the puppies to be save or healthy for the first week weeks of live. Perhaps, it is because the antibody has finishes at the time someone bought the puppy. And making sure a puppy is vaccinated is very important. The vaccination won't protect the puppy at the first few days, usually after a week or two.

It is recommended to get dogs from reputable breeders not puppy miller or farm that may have all these diseases. As they have too many dogs, it will be a difficult task for them to ensure all dogs are clean and healthy.

A precaution is to vaccinate all your dogs on time, so that they will be save. That is why some breeder like me will recommend people not to bring their dogs to petshops and anywhere until they have fully vaccination. Some people will think that it is fun to bring them to visit A and then B and then C and ask their opinion on their new dogs. Beauty is at the eyes of beholder not everyone.

Mackay

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 24, 2002, 2:00 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5467 views)
Shortcut

Puppies that are infected by Distemper Virus will look normal for at least the first two weeks of infection without showing any symptom at all. They slowly develop Kennel Cough and more symtptons such as heavy nose discharge and fits will be apparent with the next few weeks.

The fact is those puppies will not normally stay at the Pet Shop for that long and most often than not, infected puppies died at the purchaser's home.

If a dog is heavy sick with Distemper infection, it will infect other dog within a kilometer radius. If your dog is vaccinated, then there is nothing for you to worry as the memory cell will kick in and combat and eradicated the Distemper Virus in no time. Those that has not been vaccinated, the fatality rate is more than 90%.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

cdmoo
ALPHA

Sep 24, 2002, 5:43 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Distemper / other deadly virus.. [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Khoo,

Thks. OK, in a lay-man's term, if the infected pup. can not be sold off within 3 weeks from the pet shop, it would probably be dead at the shop ? And does it mean, eventually, all pups. in the shop will die eventually if they remain unsold? When the shop is/was infected, does it mean that all the future pups. from that shop will get be infected ? In this case, how does the pet shop owner clean up his place for new batch of pups?

If I just got a pup that has yet to go thru' the full cycle of vaccinations, he will be infected with the virus from next door and could lead to fatality ?

Last question, basically, it's not recommended to go to vet that often as the vet is not 'cleaned' too, right?

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 24, 2002, 6:28 AM

Post #6 of 6 (5457 views)
Shortcut

For puppies that consume their monther's milk with 26 or 48 hours since their birth will obtain antibody against certain diseases from their mother via colostrum. Colostrum is a highly concentrated mixture of large protein antibody molecules that offer protection to these new born puppies. These protein molecules break down overtime and it strength gradually decrease and at about sixth to seventh week, these maternal immunity drop to extremely low level and it is at this time vaccination must be performed to offer continous protection for puppies. The windows of susceptibility starts from as early as fifth week onwards when the level of maternal antibody is low to make the puppies susceptible to infection and not low enough for vaccination to be effective.

It all depend at which time the puppies are brought to Pet Shop. Those fall within the window of susceptibility will definitely suffers. If the pup is taken to the pet shop after the first jab, then it is likely the pup may be able to fight some infection assuming that the vaccination works.

Not all puppies brought from Pet Shop will die but the chances that it will is many much higher when you compared to puppies purchased directly from breeder.

Those puppies with sufficient inmunity will also not by infected and hence will not die after three weeks Smile

After each and every examination, the VET will have to clean their examination bed before taking the next patient. Nevertheless, there is still a risk, although is low.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my