Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua

illusion_cll
Novice

Oct 4, 2003, 12:06 AM

Post #1 of 24 (5465 views)
Shortcut
Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua Can't Post

Hi fellow dogs-lovers,

I'm new here. Have been a member and been reading lotsa posting up here. However, this is the first time I'm posting up a msg. Comments&opinions is very much appreciated Smile

I'm in the midst of getting a pup. I used to have a ShihTzu and a ChiHuaHua. Alwiz wanted to get a ChiHuaHua now coz I love their gentle and "manja" nature. However, my bf is worried that a Chi might be too fragile to keep. Alternatively, he suggested Westin White Terrier. I have little knowledge about this breed tho' thus, i'm posting to seek for more advise.

Is it a very "hyperactive" doggie? Is it easy to teach/discipline? How about its size? Is it any bigger/smaller than a ShihTzu? Does it drop a lot of hair?

Thanks and nice to meet you all.

Cheerio,

iLLusion

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 4, 2003, 12:51 AM

Post #2 of 24 (5462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [illusion_cll] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

are u referring to West Highland White Terrier (westie for short)?

if you are, yes cute dogs they are.. certainly, they have different temperament like shih tzus and chihuahuas and it's good that you're doing some research b4hand.

i have not kept a westie b4, it's also quite a rare breed here in malaysia. it's slightly bigger than a shih tzu.. about 11 inches tall at the shoulder blades.

westies are bright, alert and vocal dogs, good watch dogs - will bark when strangers come. they are highly intelligent, but proper training method must be applied or they'll refuse to do good (i've seen bright westie but lousy handler, in the end the dog can't do well in obedience).as for shedding, they shed less provided you groom them regularly.

though they are quite active, they do well in apartments or condos, but make sure ample walks for them everyday

oh, and i've read that they're one of the most friendly dogs in the world.

since it's not often we could see westies here, u might probably find some difficulty to seek for one.. and not to discourage you but... they cost a whoping high price.

other than that.. do your research well and check if this breed is really suitable for your lifestyle :) a lot of westie sites out there, do a search on the search engine :> hope this helped.

regards,
hunter

illusion_cll
Novice

Oct 4, 2003, 2:53 AM

Post #3 of 24 (5459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hunter!

Thx for the good tips. It's helpful indeed.

Ah yes, It's West Highland White Terrier. I've seen one at a PJ petshop (along LDP). It belongs to the shop owner. According to them, it's very hard to get one here and it costs around RM2k-3k min.

First criteria for my future dog is - size. It mustn't grow bigger than a ShihTzu. For this, do you think Westie is not the right choice? Bcoz if it's too big a size (6kg above), it'll be hard to carry him/her around.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 4, 2003, 4:46 AM

Post #4 of 24 (5458 views)
Shortcut

hello,

hmph.. i don't quite think westies are those that you'd carry around like chihuahuas.. do u mean carry, as in continuously few hours?

i did not had the privilege to carry one before though, heheh... so i couldn't compare it with the weight of a shih tzu.

weight-wise put aside... size wise, i'd say westies are not big at all.. well.. whether it will grow bigger than a shih tzu that's really hard to predict. i **think** they will be a wee bit taller than an average shih tzu.

well, not much westies around here.. can't make a good comparison :/

dun mind me asking but.. it's seldom to see one put size as first criteria so that the future dog would be easy to be carried around... is that dog going to travel often next time :o ?

regards,
hunter

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 4, 2003, 8:23 AM

Post #5 of 24 (5457 views)
Shortcut

just want to add, you might want to check out samantha's snowie.. a cute westie of a fellow member here. might give u a rough idea of the size.

check it out at the photo gallery :

[url]http://photogallery.pets2u.com.my/?t=search_engine[/url]

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 4, 2003, 8:54 AM

Post #6 of 24 (5456 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

I think a chi suits ur lifestyle more in terms of size, also it's not actually fragile but need to handle with care..can't juz throw him or let him jump up n down....sheds less coz only one layer of hair. Westie have two, furthermore they r imported so might shed more...in Pg they sold one at 3.5k...lastly..100% requires lots of grooming , if not taken care properly they'll turn yellow...Smile

Just my opinion..think about itSmile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 4, 2003, 6:03 PM

Post #7 of 24 (5448 views)
Shortcut

heys...any idea how old is samantha?

coz i hv a friend of a friend...1 yr younger than me..also named Samantha with a Westie too.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 4, 2003, 6:14 PM

Post #8 of 24 (5447 views)
Shortcut

hello Smile and welcome to the forum.

For westies, they are active dogs ,though I would not consider them hyperactive.Of course, u should him out for walks..exercise him, or else he might turn into a nuisence. A walk or a decent game should siffice for the little one.

As for teaching/disciplin, any dog, given the right training methods can be easily trained. Just that some breeds tend to ask the question "why?" before doing wht is asked of them. lol Wink Anyways, for a westie, it's not a problem. They hv a will to please and are bright and intelligent little terriers.Smile

Depending on the size of your shih tzu....but a westie should grow a little bigger than the shih tzu(the one that conforms to t he standard) . Not much bigger though...abt a couple inches taller. As a general "rule" , long coated dogs tend to shed less than short coated dogs. So, I'd say they're average shedders. Doubt the shedding would be a problem since u owned a shih tzu before.Just hv to take the effort of grooming them and trimming their coat.Smile(which again, shouldn't be a problem since u've owned a shih tzu before)
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

lulugurl
ALPHA

Oct 5, 2003, 6:19 AM

Post #9 of 24 (5443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

may i know whereabout in penang that u saw the westie on sale? a friend of mine has been looking for one for quite a while d but to no avail. We even went to ipoh to search for one.
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 5, 2003, 10:04 AM

Post #10 of 24 (5438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

lol, have no idea how old is she...

i just love her kemek headed westie. lol.

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2003, 6:08 AM

Post #11 of 24 (5432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi,

I saw it in a petshop...pu**yl*and, guess u know...it's imported. they brought it back from abroad but forgotten where...they sold it at 3-4k ...we went back another day but it was sold already...but just bcareful of the dogs there coz they're not really healthy...i've friend who has bought 2 shih tzus from there n passed away in less than a monthFrown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2003, 6:52 AM

Post #12 of 24 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

You say you had a Chihuahua and a Shih Tzu before - so you are no stranger to dogs ... Smile ...

A few questions (if I may) ...

(a) What happened to your Chihuahua & Shih Tzu?
(b) Where do you live? As in house ... Apartment?
(c) Who is going to be the primary care provider for your dog?
(d) Do you work? When you are not at home, who is going to look after the dog?
(e) What is your budget?
(f) Are you looking for a show or pet quality pup?

Cheers ... Smile

lulugurl
ALPHA

Oct 7, 2003, 12:25 AM

Post #13 of 24 (5424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

oh..i know about that shop...seen 2 innocent poodle from there died before tooPirateMadCrazy anyway, thanks yarSmile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

illusion_cll
Novice

Oct 7, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #14 of 24 (5418 views)
Shortcut

Answer is yes i'll be carrying him around a fair bit. Reason being I love to bring my darling with me wherever i go eg.visit friends, outstation, dinner, ....etc u name it (unless the place i go is a 'strictly-no-pet-allowed' shop) Wink

illusion_cll
Novice

Oct 7, 2003, 7:30 PM

Post #15 of 24 (5416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

Really? A long coated dog sheds lesser than a short coated? hmm, that's new to me tho'. Thx for the tips.

True, i've experieced ShihTsu before and that's why I'm looking for a short-coated pup now. Can't really bear with their sheddingUnsure (can't afford to vacuum everyday tho'). If short-coated sheds more, do you think I should stick to a long-coated?

THANKS

illusion_cll
Novice

Oct 7, 2003, 7:40 PM

Post #16 of 24 (5413 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

Pls see below for my reply Smile

(a) What happened to your Chihuahua & Shih Tzu? - My ChiHuaHua died. You can refer to a detail story I shared under "Good Bye My Dog or Puppy: The Heaven Place forum - Need help to overcome grief article". Whereas, my ShihTzu is currently staying with his god mom.
(b) Where do you live? As in house ... Apartment? - In a corner house.
(c) Who is going to be the primary care provider for your dog? - I am.
(d) Do you work? When you are not at home, who is going to look after the dog? - I do. I work from 9am-6pm. However, we practice a flexible-working-hour. So I'd foresee to travel back home a fair bit to accompany the little one during lunch break (2 hours or so) for the first 2 years.
(e) What is your budget? - RM1.5k-3k
(f) Are you looking for a show or pet quality pup? - I'm looking for a pet quality pup with least health probs. Might consider breeding them in future.

Cheers ... Smile

kingkong
Canine Addict

Oct 7, 2003, 7:48 PM

Post #17 of 24 (5412 views)
Shortcut

well... i guess shedding is depend on many factors... normally Poodle n terrier dog shed least compare to other dogs altho they have long hair 2....

if comparing between west highland terrier n chihuahua, i guess... chihuahua is kind of sitting on yr thigh while u having dinner....whereas terrier is kind of running here n there.... search for fun....while u having dinner.... so.... i guess.... chihuahua suit u ..... hehe... i'm chihuahua fan... so...Wink

Regards,
Eric with Sushi, a long-coat chihuahua.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 7, 2003, 7:58 PM

Post #18 of 24 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

The breeders I know will only allow breeding from show quality dogs ... pet puppies are sold with a clause in the contract that require the owners to spay/neuter ... sorry ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 7, 2003, 8:00 PM)

illusion_cll
Novice

Oct 7, 2003, 8:20 PM

Post #19 of 24 (5402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you mean? Does that mean if I intend to breed them in future, i have to apply for a different type of license for the coming pup?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 7, 2003, 8:48 PM

Post #20 of 24 (5396 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

This has nothing to do with licences ... Smile

Different breeders will have their own set of requirements for finding/selecting potential owners for their pups ...

Many serious & responsible breeders (in order to maintain standard of their bloodlines & breeding) only allow their show quality dogs to be bred ... So, when they sell their pet quality pups, there is a condition in the contract of sale, requiring the owners to neutered/spayed pet quality dogs.

Cheers Smile

kingkong
Canine Addict

Oct 7, 2003, 8:49 PM

Post #21 of 24 (5395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kingkong] Westin White Terrier VS ChiHuaHua [In reply to] Can't Post

but if i have a bigger compound next time... i will also think of getting a west highland terrier too.... it such a nice gougous dog to own too.... saw 1 WHT at batu feringgi beach. nice.... the dog just run the whole beach n return back to his owner.. again run all over the beach then back to the owner... repeating the same thing again n again.... very obedient... very smart.... very nice!

Regards,
Eric with Sushi, a long-coat chihuahua.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2003, 9:07 PM

Post #22 of 24 (5382 views)
Shortcut

Tht's up to you =)

Well, a short coated dog..u hv to vacuum.

A long coated dog, u'll hv to groom often.(of course there are other factors like shampoo and time to bathe and dry the dog)
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 9, 2003, 7:34 AM

Post #23 of 24 (5370 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

have u made up ur mind now?

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 19, 2003, 9:50 PM

Post #24 of 24 (5293 views)
Shortcut

this reply may well be late...but for the other folks...

a westie in general has very good temperament. they do well with kids.

they also learn very quickl and remember things well. in fact it amazes me that my male westie actually stopped peeing against car tyres and street lamps. in the event his doggie instincts sets in, he'll turn and look at either my hubby or it for permission to do it. of course the answer is always "no no". so he walks on until he gets to a tree or plants by the road side.

the only drawback with westie...they have rather sensitive skin. so you must watch them carefully. ours has great intolerance to beef and chicken. but his skin is generally well when he is on strictly lamb and rice...and his weekly treats of brocolli and grapes. yes grapes..he loves seeing them roll on the ground before pounding and eating it.

then there is the smelly ear thingy that a fair bit of westies that have teh same problem. you can clean and clean but the discharge (smelly) is always there. our vet in cheras recommended an ear drain. after the ear drain...no more problem (at least for the last 3 years)!

westies are also very peaceful dogs. not yelpy...for a terrier, he barks only when necessary like alerting us that there is a stranger outside the house etc.

and because they are such good temperament doggies, i've taken him out to public places for makan and jalan-jalan a fair bit.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my