Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Skin issues

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 3, 2003, 10:07 PM

Post #1 of 15 (1949 views)
Shortcut
Skin issues Can't Post

Hi there, need some help over my basset. He is 3mths old healthy but has some skin problems. It's only on the joints of his legs and the back of his body, none on the underside of his body.

Could it be his food. currently feeding eaglepack puppy formula. Could the protein level too high for him?Any suggestions, Pls help.

Thanks.

Unsure

(This post was edited by Veteran on Oct 3, 2003, 10:13 PM)

Kowpa

Oct 3, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #2 of 15 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

words about your dog skin problem won't do any good cuz many types of skin problems visit ur vet is the best solution

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 3, 2003, 10:35 PM

Post #3 of 15 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice but vets did suggest giving him a jab for his scraching and pills to go for that but that's not the source of the problem. So still seeking some help on that. But anvway thanks.Unsure

Kowpa

Oct 3, 2003, 11:00 PM

Post #4 of 15 (1940 views)
Shortcut

BTW is ur dog scraching I think the jap is the antibiotic and the pills is for non scrached Wat breed is it?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 4, 2003, 12:19 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1933 views)
Shortcut

hi,

food could be a reason for skin problems, but there are many other reasons that constitutes to such problems as well.

is he scratching like mad? is it reddish around the area? any skin peeling? little red dots? have u been switching foods lately on your dog?

you are right, jab and pills might not solve the problem for long. but if u really did switch foods on your dog before, do change to other food as your dog might be allergic to a certain ingredient in his current kibbles.

regards,
hunter

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 4, 2003, 12:29 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a basset. 3 mths old.

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 4, 2003, 12:53 AM

Post #7 of 15 (1926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

well, some ANF salesman convince my breeder that it was good for the dog so he was having that until it came to my hand. The shit that chubby pass out was smellier and he was having heat rash cos the kibbles were too heaty for him as a result of his dark greenish eye gel on his eye.

After that I switch his diet to eaglepack puppy fomula. Which the switch was by 10% every meal till now he is having full eaglepack.

The only worries I have is that I'm not sure if he is allergic to protein cos basset's are prone to skin allergis. If that is so I'll have to change to lamp & rice then.

Just asking around to see any basset owners have this issue before.

Regards,

BernardUnsure

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 4, 2003, 1:05 AM

Post #8 of 15 (1925 views)
Shortcut

hi,

lamb and rice formula does not necessarily helps cure skin problems.. if he really is allergic, it could be many reasons.. could be because of high level of protein...err, also, some dogs can't take wheat in kibbles, some can't even take kibbles with beef as ingredients.

however, just to share, quite recent ago my dog has rashes as well and spreaded from the elbows to other parts of the body, and we found out it was due to the recent switch of his dog food. the guy who sells that dog food said it might be due to high level of protein, like you said, as other dogs had similar problems too.

we bathed him with skin treatment shampoo Malaseb and switched his food back. rashes gone, dog happy.

hope someone comes around and might be able to solve your problem :)

regards,
hunter

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 4, 2003, 2:54 AM

Post #9 of 15 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Hello Veteran Smile,

You wonder whether whether Ea*le Puppy Formula kibble may be too high in protein thus causing "skin problem" with your 3 month Basset.

Your prefix "Veteran" ... indicates that you are an experienced dog owner ...

Ea*le Puppy Formula has 28% protein ... Comparables (including holistic brands) range from between 26% to 33% protein. So, it would appears that Ea*gle Puppy Formula is well within acceptable range.

If you are quite sure that the skin condition is caused by the kibble then you can consider moving to (a) puppy formula for "large" breeds, or (b) on to an adult formula, which have lower protein %, or consider home prepared food and control the protein level yourself.

Personally - I would not change the feeding pattern without first checking to make sure that the skin condition on your dog is indeed caused by the kibble ...

Generally, other than the occassional protein hives (which is a relatively minor issue), good quality kibble (super premium) today are usually no longer as troublesome as the kibble we used to find say 5 or 6 years ago.

If you wish to discuss the possibility of other causes ... do post. Smile

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2003, 11:21 PM

Post #10 of 15 (1905 views)
Shortcut

hmmm i think it's very common to have some skin problems here and there .. sometimes..

but w/ the prompt attention given to them, they should be able to heal fast..

~i do agree that AN* brand kibbles give smellier poos!!!Unsure

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2003, 5:38 PM

Post #11 of 15 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

well thanks for the suggestion, well aware of the high protein of the product. I took him to a vet last weekend and the doc said it's an infection but there could be so many reasons that triggers it. so currently he is on antibiotics and I'll monitor from here. But in general he is doing better now, cos I bath him with Verbac's Editerm for antibacterial. his tools are fine except the occationally scraching.

Thanks for the concern.

Veteran

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2003, 5:42 PM

Post #12 of 15 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

well thanks for the suggestion. I took him to a vet last weekend and the doc said it's an infection but like you said, there could be so many reasons that triggers it. so currently he is on antibiotics now and I'll monitor from here. But in general he is doing better now, cos for 1 he is on antibiotics, & I've bath him with Verbac's Editerm for antibacterial. his stools are fine except the occationally scraching.

Thanks for the concern.

Veteran

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2003, 5:44 PM

Post #13 of 15 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

well smell is just only 1 issue, what about the texture of the poos. they so hard to scrap away that I have to wash the floor every time he finishes his business. In general this is base on experience, ANF sucks.

Carrie
Novice

Oct 6, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #14 of 15 (1879 views)
Shortcut

Hey Veteran !!
My pup, Sunshine - a ShihTzu also has the same problems. I took him to a vet last week. Poor baby.... the doc put him on the Elizabath collar and shaved his hair from the nozzle to the anal !! Now he looks like he's wearing a fur coat !! The doc put him on anti itch,anti inflammation,antibiotics and a cream to apply. Also got the Sebazol shampoo!! And, forgot to say, Sunshine got the mange problem and because of his biting and chewing and licking, it got the yeast and bacteria infection too !!

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2003, 11:13 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Carrie] Skin issues [In reply to] Can't Post

I can feel the agony what you are going thru. But hope his antibody will become stronger and recover soon.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my