Home: Behavioral Problems: Eating Poo & Licking Pee:
My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!!

Baby Snoopy CG
New User

Oct 2, 2003, 7:47 PM

Post #1 of 12 (23706 views)
Shortcut
My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! Can't Post

Hi... i have a 7 month old Shi tzu and one of her problems is she likes to lick her PEE!

Also, she's always very Itchy.... we always take her to the vet but still she is still itchy and scratching like hell. The vet always tells us that its a skin disease (duh!! we know its a skin disease...) She scratches so much (ears, feet, tail, all over) until she has wounds and red spots all over (esp the belly)... a temporary solution was to spray her with a product called ANIFUMEX... its effective and stops her scratching but only for around 3 days. However, this product has a nasty smell and makes her fur oily.... I dont want to spray her forever with this product...

PLEASE HELP!!!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #2 of 12 (23695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Baby Snoopy CG] My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ... Smile ...

Although it sounds strange to us ... licking pee pee ... is an interesting activity for pups and dogs ... and for sure you are going to learn that doggies have some peculiar propensities which we will never quite understand ... (like finding the smelliest spot in the garden and then rubbing themselves on it) ...

However, if you do wish to train the command "NO" ... and other basic commands ... do check out the following threads:

On HouseTraining a pup: http://www.puppy.com.my/...llapsed;guest=694485

Basic 'No' command: http://www.puppy.com.my/...llapsed;guest=694485

Basic "Recall" & other commands http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

The issue of your pup's skin condition appears a little more serious ...

*Hmmm* ... this is second time someone has mentioned "ANIFUMEX" ... would appreciate very much if you can post the (a) the name of manufacturer & other relevan info, (b) the instructions, and (c) the ingredients - listed on the container - would like to learn more about this product.

I would strongly suggest that you take your pup to a good vet - one who is prepared to spend time examining, doing proper tests & diagnosis, and prepared to answer your questions ...

The diagnosis & treatment of skin conditions is a detail & painstaking process ... and not all vets are equal ...

Please check the following threads ... please read the postings carefully (yes, I understand that it can be tedious ... Crazy ... but it will help very much if we don't have to post the same info over again ... thanks ...Smile)

Mange: http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Hot spots: http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Rashes & pus: http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

If after reading the threads - you still have questions - please post ... and all forum members will do their best to assist ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 2, 2003, 8:44 PM)

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2003, 7:43 PM

Post #3 of 12 (23670 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

i have a shih tzu too. First she eats her own poo and i find out that she licks her pee too. But on the scratching side she's ok. She's not scratching at all. Do you leave her to pee on newspaper? Mine i do that so what i can do is to leave more newspaper so that the pee will soak up faster.

I was so mad when i found out that she eats her own poo. I still unable to find the solution but the vet says that her digestion is not good. So after some supplements on the digestion, now she seldom eats the poo but she likes to play with it. Maybe she found out that poo is quite cute.

By the way my shih tzu is 8 months now. She's having her first heat somemore. Some of them says that after the first heat the poo eating might be gone. So i'll wait patiently.

Maybe you can add your question and you details on the breed specific > utility group > shih tzu list . There are alot of shih tzu owners there who may help out with your problem.

JudyBeee
Novice

Sep 3, 2004, 3:23 AM

Post #4 of 12 (23282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuikiaw] My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I've just got 2 shi tzu puppies, and both of them eat their poo after meals..YUCKS!

I have tried to observe everytime and get the shit away As fast As possible..but cant make it when i am away..

Anyone of you have any solutions on stopping them?

a_evie
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2004, 5:02 PM

Post #5 of 12 (22984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JudyBeee] My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

have you tried adding a little garlic into their diet? it works for some.

i tried garlic...but shalom liked it too...i tried quite a lot of stuff including pumpkin, pineapple...of coursethings improved tremendously when we changed her to barf....but what worked best is to keep an eye on them...after a while you will know their timing for poo. of course when you catch them doing so, give them a fierce growly "NO". praise them when they just do their business and walk away. treat them as well if you need to.

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Aug 18, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #6 of 12 (21633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Emm... I oso got a shin tzu juz 3 months old and she oso like to lick her pee started last 2 weeks i think. B4 tis she didnt did like tis. And for the scratch thing, she oso like JudyBeee's shin tzu. Always scratching and got a few red spot. Quite worrying.... Frown

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Aug 18, 2005, 5:33 PM

Post #7 of 12 (21632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ah_fang] My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haiz... sorry ya... is Baby Snoopy CG's pup...

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2005, 9:18 PM

Post #8 of 12 (21619 views)
Shortcut

absolutely yucky...but you'll have to keep an eye on kiddo. basically say "NO" in a low growling tone when you see her approaching her pee for a lick.

make sure you don't say "NO" when she is half way peeing lor. otherwise she may think that to pee is a not allowed behaviour.

praise her when she pees and walks away from her pee. but on your end, do also makes ure that you clean up after her pee. does she pee on newspaper or grass or some other thing?

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 2:34 AM

Post #9 of 12 (21593 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi... i have a 7 month old Shi tzu and one of her problems is she likes to lick her PEE!

Also, she's always very Itchy.... we always take her to the vet but still she is still itchy and scratching like hell. The vet always tells us that its a skin disease (duh!! we know its a skin disease...) She scratches so much (ears, feet, tail, all over) until she has wounds and red spots all over (esp the belly)... a temporary solution was to spray her with a product called ANIFUMEX... its effective and stops her scratching but only for around 3 days. However, this product has a nasty smell and makes her fur oily.... I dont want to spray her forever with this product...

PLEASE HELP!!!!

maybe the itchiness is due to food. may i know wat type of food u feeding her? try switch to a better brand of food, preferable hollistic food. personally i recommend Canidae as it is a human grade food. TOP brand.

Regards,

Yang

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Aug 26, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #10 of 12 (21574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.. my QQ pee on the newspaper.. now seldom she did it again but stime yes lah.. n i juz say 'ehh..' n push her away from the newspaper there...

But now she got another problem, she got worm inside her stomach. Found it yesterday after taking the booster jab n told by the doc. N doc jus give a liquid medicine. N juz now I hv take a look on another thread of the worms 1 i found tat all of them r taking tablet for their pup. May I know wat is tat? n where can i get it?

Thanks.

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 26, 2005, 8:31 PM

Post #11 of 12 (21569 views)
Shortcut

hei..no prob. a reply is really not necessary.

glad to know that things are pretty much sorted out. and yeah, you'll hve to keep an eye on them from time to time.

just last night, our kiddo forgot where her toilet was and proceeded to pee in the living room. accidents happen. but can't blame her altogether. she was too busy playing.

you must deworm your furkid on a regular basis. some go for jabs. some go for tablets and some liquid. its a matter of preference.

check with your vet what was given in the first place and what does it cover.

phekling19

Sep 8, 2005, 5:06 AM

Post #12 of 12 (21481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] My shi tzu licks her PEE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Leecy! I need your help! My furkid, this black chihuahua x toy fox terrier. He always scratch his body as i bath him every week. At first I think is his bad habit but after I read your reply to Baby Snoopy CG...I think my Laksa has problem. I'm feeding him with Eukanuba. He loves to scratch, sometimes lick other dogs' wee wee. I scolded him and beated him for that but after a while he will continue doingthat again. I dont know what's wrong. By the way, where you buy Canidae food?
A Hopeless Dog Lover and love dogs as if no tomorrow ... Frown
NO CRUELTY TO ANIMALS Frown
www.dogster.com/?188399.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my