Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Wrong training method???

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Sep 20, 2002, 10:51 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2041 views)
Shortcut
Wrong training method??? Can't Post

My miniature schnauzer is 1 year and 4 months old, I started training her when she was a puppy, and of course I used treats to lure her, but now, 8 out of 10 times she would do it only when I am holding a treat(especially when I ask her to roll over)and when i have training session with her, her attention is on the food and not meUnsure...can I correct this behavior of hers? Is it too late to introduce clicker training?

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 2:20 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ccsy98] Wrong training method??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Have you been using treats all the time? I trained my mini-schnauzers using treats initially but slowly subsitute it with praise. Once in a while though, you can still reward with treats and that's what makes it interesting for them..they never know when the actual treat will come..

For me, tricks like roll over, sit pretty, paw or handshake you can leave it at the treat level (ie. if they only do it for treats, just leave them be to enjoy that) BUT for obedience commands like SIT,STAY,DOWN,COME, HEEL,etc they must be weaned off the treats or else you'll never get any cooperation from them. Once a while, you can still reward them with a treat for good response to a command, but make it spontaneous.

Happy training!

Rdgs Arthur

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Sep 22, 2002, 1:36 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Wrong training method??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur,

I have seen you and your girls in Taipan...Thanks for the advise, I am now trying to use her toys as lure, but how do I get her to concentrate on me instead of the TREAT, especially when I teaching her new tricks....her eyes are gazing at the treat....

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 22, 2002, 7:11 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Hi ccsy!

I say.. did we meet at the pet shop in Taipan? Can't recall-lah.. what to do, memory loss is the first sign of old age! Smile As to getting her to focus on you, try this.. show her the treat, once you get her attention, hide the treat within your right fist. Hold your fist at waist level and do your training. Her attention now should be focused on your fist. Reward ONLY when she does the proper response to the command. For REALLY good focusing on you.. try holding the treat on your lips! Now she'll really be looking at YOU! (I know some trainers use this method)

Rdgs Arthur

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Sep 22, 2002, 10:51 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2012 views)
Shortcut

LaughHi Arthur
Then I have to get really tasty treats that doesn't smell....

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 23, 2002, 4:52 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2008 views)
Shortcut

From experience..Ekanuba Lamb & Rice is not that bad..Tongue

Rdgs Arthur

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Sep 23, 2002, 7:39 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Yar, did try it, but she didn't like it, coz the kibbles a bit to big for her, she like small ones...lady like mar, take small bites...

les
K9 Maniac

Sep 25, 2002, 12:08 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1980 views)
Shortcut

Remember that I bought a pack of dog food which got worms.. Yacks... its Eukanuba Lamb & Rice.. and till now.. I dun dare to buy Eukanuba's food.

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my