Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Puppy Flaking

DaisyGal
Novice

Sep 30, 2003, 3:13 AM

Post #1 of 20 (2847 views)
Shortcut
Puppy Flaking Can't Post

hi there..Daisygal here...its been a long time since I last visit here...how's everyone and their beloved furkids?...hope everything's fine...busy eh?...well just got one question...I just bought another English cocker spaniel...Snoopy's his name....6 weeks old...I found out that he has dandruff on his nose...a little...not too bad...but I just wanna know why tis happen....anyone can enlighten me?....thanks ya

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 9:38 AM

Post #2 of 20 (2835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaisyGal] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hello there,

just wanna give Snoopy a warm welcome *hugs Snoopy* LaughCool

Not too sure abt the flaking..could it be his skin there is dry? Crazy
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 9:02 PM

Post #3 of 20 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaisyGal, RealityDreamer] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys ...

Flaking skin & mild itching (without other symptoms) is often indication of seborrhea (doggie dandruff???) ... Smile ... Try a medicated shampoo and see if the condition improves ... Eti-Derm is not bad ...

But do keep an eye on the spot ... if it gets inflamed or red ... or itching gets severe ... then it's off to the vet for an examination ... Crazy

Cheers

DoggiePuppy

Feb 4, 2004, 10:42 PM

Post #4 of 20 (2764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Daisygal!!! Its been a long time now has Snoopy's condition get better?? My new pup's like that too. She's a english cocker and brittany spaniel mix, both spaniel so she inherit most of their features, including long ears and skin condition that's wat the vet told me.

What did you do for Snoopy's condition?
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 4, 2004, 10:50 PM

Post #5 of 20 (2763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Ooops ... think you posted me by mistake ... you need to post your reply by clicking "reply" in Daisygal's post if you wish her to be notified of your response ...

Cheers Smile

DoggiePuppy

Feb 4, 2004, 11:32 PM

Post #6 of 20 (2762 views)
Shortcut

OHh...hahaha.....so that's what the reply is for, specifically for that person. I usually just click whichever I see. thanks for the info. Now I learn.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 4, 2004, 11:32 PM

Post #7 of 20 (2762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaisyGal] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Daisygal!!! Its been a long time now has Snoopy's condition get better?? My new pup's like that too. She's a english cocker and brittany spaniel mix, both spaniel so she inherit most of their features, including long ears and skin condition that's wat the vet told me.

What did you do for Snoopy's condition?

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2004, 12:41 AM

Post #8 of 20 (2735 views)
Shortcut

seborrhea...does it spread to other doggies?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 17, 2004, 1:08 AM

Post #9 of 20 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah ... it depends ...

"Seborrhea" is used to describe a particular skin condition that causes dry and/or flaking skin/scales, greasy coat etc ... (like dandruff) ...

Seborrhea may occur as a disease by itself (Primary Seborrhea) or result from an underlying disease (Secondary Seborrhea).

As far as I know, the cause of primary seborrhea is unknown, but is commonly believed to be genetic in origin ... and as such, Primary Seborrhea is not believed to infectious ... Primary Seborrhea is incurable but can be controlable through the use of medicated shampoos etc.

As for Secondary Seborrhea, the underlying cause will determine if it is infectious ... Some bacterial or fungal infections that cause seborrhea type sympthoms are infectious ... If the underlying cause can be treated and cured, then Secondary Seborrhea is also got rid of.

Cheers Smile

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 18, 2004, 2:17 AM

Post #10 of 20 (2723 views)
Shortcut

hmmm...sent shalom to the vet last night...i found her to be rather wqarm. no thermometer for pups...so brought her to the vet.

dr. teoh mentioned that her lymph nodes under her forelegs and neck are rather swollen...and this was near the scaly flaking part of her head (top of head).

he suspected that she's probably running an infection...but no antibiotics..still young 3 mths and 3 weeks...so he's given her some tabs to boost her immunity.

but otherwise...she's as playful and cheeky as ever. gotten her an elizabethan collar so that she does not scratch that spot...sudah besar and panjang...can reach all over her body now...so much for being an underweight and undereating pup when i took her home at 7 weeks!Wink

btw, thanx for the makan tips that you rendered to me weeks back...no more handfeeding and the angel eats on her own.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 18, 2004, 6:47 PM

Post #11 of 20 (2716 views)
Shortcut

Ah yes ...

Lymph nodes often swell and get tender when the system is fighting an infection ... Do keep an eye on your dog ... The infection and seborrhea may not be related ...

Ask your vet if it will help to use a medicated shampoo for the seborrhea ...

And perhaps think of moving to a diet with more fresh foods (whether raw or lightly cooked) - a good healthy diet will do much to boost immunity ... I think you mentioned salmon in one of your previous postings, fish is a good food element for improving skin ...

Cheers Smile

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 25, 2004, 11:08 PM

Post #12 of 20 (2699 views)
Shortcut

shalom has been prescribed a mediacted shampoo to be used every 4 days. the same that i had used for my westie when he had any skin prob.

the shampoo works except that it smells bad to my nose.

her diet is becoming 50% kibbles / commercially prepared food and another 50% being barf (no bones yet though). she is also doing omega in oil form and waltham immune tabs. will be getting her vitamin b or brewer's yeast. which is better?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 26, 2004, 12:24 AM

Post #13 of 20 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Omega oils are good for coat & skin ... but you must provide the correct balance between omega 3 & 6 oils ...

VitB is necessary for good coat & skin, Brewer's yeast is rich in VitB (VitB is the vitamin most commonly lost during cooking) ... I personally prefer giving Brewer's Yeast rather than just VitB ...

Cautions about supplements:

*** Supplements are not substitute for balanced diet ... so learn about nutrition (research the internet & read books).

*** Don't just give everything ... or every time you find a new product ... you just add it into your dog's diet ...

*** Supplements must be controlled and the amounts regulated ... Too much of anything is not good ...

If you are not sure then find a good general overall supplement and stick with that ...

Cheers Smile

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 27, 2004, 7:13 PM

Post #14 of 20 (2688 views)
Shortcut

will take ur advise on brewer's yeast then.

strange strange...but shalom started eating poo again since yesterday...and also another's dog's poo...some irresponsible owner walked his or her dog at my apt and did not bother to pick up the poo...no change to her diet...so i find it strange. she does not eat all her poo. just a little...but still very strange since she stopped eating them for quite some while. Frown

so what should i add on to her diet? garlic is staple diet (either tablets / chopped fresh garlic)...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 27, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #15 of 20 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Poop eating is one issue that has me completely bamboozelled ... I really have no idea what works and what does not ... it is a problem ... Some people say add garlic to food ... others say add pineapple ... some say give "tablets" or other medication ... some say add enzymes ...

Errr ... I really dunno ... what works with one dog, doesn't work with another ... or doesn't work at all ...

The best thing I can suggest is constant observation ... remove all poop ASAP ... clean up the area ... and cross your fingers and hope ...

You can try reconditioning the dog ... it takes time and lots of patience ... when dog approaches poop ... give low growl "NOOOOO" ... when dog stops ... call dog to you and reward generously ... check threads on conditioning and reconditioning training methods.

Sorry ... cannot be of more help ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 27, 2004, 9:58 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 28, 2004, 8:55 AM

Post #16 of 20 (2679 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Maybe you can try giving a good general supplement, like Keeper's Mix ... and that might help stop the poop eating ...

Cheers Smile

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 4, 2004, 2:50 AM

Post #17 of 20 (2661 views)
Shortcut

yeah...but can only get it over the weekend...

poo eating is certainly mind boggling...and you're definitely right on clearing it immediately...the prob lies with when we are out at office...sigh...

i resorted to leaving 1 poo left behind with pepper, vinegar and tabasco poured on it. thus far oklah...she has not touched her poop even when we are not at home. but the smell is horrid. the whole combination...sigh...will just have to bear with it until she stops her habit.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 4, 2004, 9:49 PM

Post #18 of 20 (2655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie, Riccaval] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

For the K**per's M*x ...

Hmmm ... leaving the poop with pepper & other stuff ... ahyooh ... hope it works ... *LOL* ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Mar 10, 2004, 6:30 AM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

Mar 4, 2004, 11:53 PM

Post #19 of 20 (2650 views)
Shortcut

You can get it from the website 'online shop' check out
shop.puppy.com.my/products.asp?cat=50

cheers

(This post was edited by Riccaval on Mar 5, 2004, 12:19 AM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 8, 2004, 6:14 PM

Post #20 of 20 (2637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval, surchinmy] Puppy Flaking [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my