Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
how to get rid of ticks in dog's ear?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 12:34 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1282 views)
Shortcut
how to get rid of ticks in dog's ear? Can't Post

there are some ticks inside my dogs ear. What should i do?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

lsling78
Dog Kichi

Sep 27, 2003, 12:50 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] how to get rid of ticks in dog's ear? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi there,

does your dog has ticks on other parts of its body? I am sure he/she does. Well, you can either try frontline which you spray on its body after bath. after you spray fronline do rub it all over to make sure it gets to the skin. Frontline is actually systemic. It will absorb into the blood and travel through out the body. it doesn't only kill ticks but also fleas and mites. It costs about rm 36 for 100ml and rm 65 for 200ml.You can also try fronline spot on or the deticking colar. But i still prefer the spray.

Or. You can bring your dog to the vet and he will give her ivermectin which is a antiparasite drug.(it is jab or taken orally)

if you find ticks at other parts of the body, try bayticol 6%. You just have to dilute it according to the direction on the bottle, and rinse it after you bath your dog. It works quite well.

It is good to get rid of ticks asap cause they are vector of many diseases.

take you pick. happy trying.

lsling78

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 12:50 AM

Post #3 of 13 (1279 views)
Shortcut

hi... from my experience in SPCA... we would use a tweezer to pick out ticks from a doggie's ears... it works just fine and works great at hard to reach places in the ears... can't use any tick powder in the ear coz it's dangerous... according to the label...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 8:19 AM

Post #4 of 13 (1268 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

U can use a pair of tweezers out first then clean the wound n the ears...subsequently use a earmite n tick control lotion on the wound the kill the tick's saliva embedded beneath the skinSmile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 8:49 AM

Post #5 of 13 (1263 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Just a little caution ... if you are removing the ticks by hand ... or with a tweezer etc ... be careful and remove the WHOLE tick ... catch the tick around it's head and then gently pull ...

Don't leave the head of the tick behind by accident ... that can cause infection ...

Cheers ...Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2003, 5:04 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] how to get rid of ticks in dog's ear? [In reply to] Can't Post

do you whether there are any sleeping pills for dogs? I feel like making him to sleep so that i can take out all the ticks.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 28, 2003, 6:10 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Hello Amanda ...

Give sleeping tablets or putting your dog under anesthesia just to remove ticks - is kinda drastic ... maybe not good idea and not safe for dog Unsure.

If your doggie has that many ticks ... then go to your vet or a good pet shop - and get an tick remover/solution and/or shampoo ... there are many brands ... Check out the FrontLine products - they are quite effective against ticks ...

But after getting rid of the ticks on your dog ... you should really check and get rid of any other ticks hiding around the house.

Check out this thread please :

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=54881;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Cheers Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2003, 9:40 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1248 views)
Shortcut

u think i should recommend the chicken? LaughTongue lol
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 1:01 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] how to get rid of ticks in dog's ear? [In reply to] Can't Post

Chickens???!!! *** ... Crazy ... now who has got weird gremlins under her hat??? ... LOL

jennifer6636
K9 Maniac

Sep 29, 2003, 2:06 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lsling78] how to get rid of ticks in dog's ear? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehai lsling, ya..the frontline spot on is very good. i use it every month.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 7:30 AM

Post #11 of 13 (1230 views)
Shortcut

this afternoon i went to a pet shop and tried to search for Frontline, but the seller said that it is not suitable for puppy, so i ended up buying Natural Chemistry. Do you heard about that brand before? After i had search around the net, i had also found several tablet for dog that can prevent ticks. Do you use it before?

Pacco de Mongrel

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 8:22 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Hello Amanda ...

FRONTLINE:

How old is your dog? ...

Frontline is supposed to be safe for dogs older than 10 weeks ... Just be careful and follow instructions properly when applying ...

Website for information on Frontline:
www.pet-flea-control.com/tick-removal.html
us.merial.com/pet_owners/dogs/fleas.asp

-----------------------------------------------------
NATURAL CHEMISTRY:

Ah ... sorry no ... not familiar with Natural Chemistry ... But check the label and read the instructions ... if its suitable then you can try on your dog ...

-----------------------------------------------------
TABLETS:

Cannot say without looking at the tablets & the ingredients ... Much will depend on the ingredients and what the tablets are supposed to do ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 29, 2003, 8:31 AM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 8:41 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1220 views)
Shortcut

lol

can wert...traint thr doggie to stay still...get chicken to peck the ticks fr the ear..

like those lil birds(what u call them again?) on Rhinos and Hippos in africa..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my