How to control a barking pup?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

limsuteong
Dog Kichi

Sep 26, 2003, 5:41 PM

Post #1 of 45 (5286 views)
Shortcut
How to control a barking pup? Can't Post

I have a 4 month old Shih Tzu male pup. I'm staying in an apartment. My problem is that when ever I leave my main door, my pup will bark. I think it could be separation anxiety. Can any one advise me if I were to get another female pup for him. Can this help to control his barking?

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 26, 2003, 6:09 PM

Post #2 of 45 (5284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [limsuteong] How to control a barking pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

your dog is probably scare that you might leave him alone... keep talking to your dog... tell him that you're goin to work or etc.... soon he'll stop all those barking.... trust me.

regards,
sweeeng

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2003, 2:01 AM

Post #3 of 45 (5272 views)
Shortcut

what i do to my baobao if i'm not bringing him out......

give him a big piece of treat and he'll be satisfied!!
and to distract his attention that you're going out..Tongue

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 7:50 AM

Post #4 of 45 (5270 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

Maybe u can try to give him a rawhide before u leave..at least it'll keep him busyTongue

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 9:08 AM

Post #5 of 45 (5269 views)
Shortcut

nathalie has a good idea.

Usually, when we want to prevent dogs from doing anything undesirable, we should keep them busy. ehehhehe... rawhide is good or balls.

What I do with doodle is that I teach him to bark when I ask him to. When I have taught him to bark, I ve also taught him to keep quiet. That's how I control my barking pup. Wink Although sometimes he might bark at outsiders or cats straying around.

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 12, 2003, 9:49 AM

Post #6 of 45 (5245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] How to control a barking pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi
giving rawhides to my dog doesnt keep her busy
she can break a rawhide into pieces within 10 minutes..mayb i should give her a bigger n harder one,by the way,is there any other way to keep her busy at night, if she's not sleeping?or else she will bark at insects or lizards..etc

doodle
ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 6:14 PM

Post #7 of 45 (5238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mari_Lyn] How to control a barking pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm... I usually give big rawhide to doodle and I like to stuff snacks inside. So he will spend alot of time digging for it and I can sit to watch TV.
What I do to prevent him to destroying things, I will make him tired by running with him. Then he will be too exhausted to bark or chew on other things.
He will just lie down and hope that you won't disturb him... hehehe...

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2003, 8:59 AM

Post #8 of 45 (5228 views)
Shortcut

where do u get tat big rawhides?or any DIY chewys?
i heard there are pet shops in midvalley but it's too far from my house
KLCC hav pet shops anot?
are there any 'big' petshops in somewhere near ampang?(if dont know where's ampang,nevermind lar)

my pup always bark at 3~5 a.m.,making so much noise that neighbour showing us 'smelly' face(only 1 neighbour do tat,they hav dog too but doesnt bark at night 1)i read mags and it says tat dog may feel hungry at midnite,so try to feed them late
is tat true???

(This post was edited by mari_Lyn on Oct 18, 2003, 9:39 AM)

nickanna
Canine Addict

Oct 19, 2003, 5:35 AM

Post #9 of 45 (5224 views)
Shortcut

Hi there..

I am no expert but you might wanna try the method i used. What i did to my barking 8 weeks pup was to tell him "NO" sternly and close his mouth..he will surely struggle but you've gotta hold him tight..show him who's the boss..when he calms down..stroke his head and body and praise him a lot.. he learnt pretty fast.. Wish you luck !!

Around KLCC, I have yet to bump into any pet shop ..but I did bought some rawhides from "Tops" in Suria KLCC.

doodle
ALPHA

Oct 20, 2003, 12:44 AM

Post #10 of 45 (5217 views)
Shortcut

well... the rawhide that I got for doodle is from pet shop. I realised that he prefered those that are flavoured. I got one which is quite big and has tasty smell. That kept him busy until he fall asleep and forgot to bark. But doodle hardly bark.

Another method is to make them tired to do anything else. Take your dog for a walk.. run and make him chase u.. or run with him. When it is bed time, he hardly have energy for anything else.

Climbing stairs is one way to make them tired. Or play hide and seek.

nickanna
Canine Addict

Oct 20, 2003, 1:33 AM

Post #11 of 45 (5214 views)
Shortcut

yeah..yeah..i agree with doodle ! Tongue

U can make ur dog tired by throwing his play toy down the stair and make him run up and down the stair.. he'll be so excited and then when he gets tired.. he will rather sleep than bark.. haha Wink Wink

doodle
ALPHA

Oct 20, 2003, 1:38 AM

Post #12 of 45 (5213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickanna] How to control a barking pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe... do try to be careful though...

try not to over exercise your puppy... just something for them to do and when they are tired.. they will act slightly different.. just like kindergarden children who are tired of reading books. They will sway to something else..

hope it works!
maybe u can ask for another opinion... mine may not be the method

heheheheh

nickanna
Canine Addict

Oct 20, 2003, 3:57 AM

Post #13 of 45 (5211 views)
Shortcut

hehe..my GR when tired of running up and down the stair, retrieving his play toy..he automatically will not give me his play toy and bring it to his own place..(so i cant throw anymore).. Laugh Laugh a sign that he's tired liao Sly Tongue

doodle
ALPHA

Oct 20, 2003, 9:13 PM

Post #14 of 45 (5210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickanna] How to control a barking pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe....
i am sure the rest of the day is a peaceful day.
After he is asleep, you can do practically anything!
hehehehe

nickanna
Canine Addict

Oct 21, 2003, 6:14 AM

Post #15 of 45 (5201 views)
Shortcut

yeah yeah..especially when he's tired and asleep..I can make him sleep on his back le..play with his legs and do whatever I like..haha..my turn Tongue

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 22, 2003, 9:15 AM

Post #16 of 45 (5195 views)
Shortcut

u say "Climbing stairs is one way to make them tired. Or play hide and seek. "

how to play hide n seek?u hide?ur dog hide?u count 1 to 10?sorry ask stupid question,but i really wonder..

some ppl giv chewy toy to their dog,wat it means?toy..buy from petshop,n?soft or hard 1?big better?

if dog bite slippers,should i stop it?(old slipper dont want already),if i din stop it,it turns to bad habit?

pls giv advice....thks~!!

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2003, 11:59 PM

Post #17 of 45 (5190 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe... "Hide and seek..." Good idea.... Tongue

My new pup is also the barking/yelping type. I sort of play "hide and seek" with her. I just walk out of the room for a while, but she still makes noise... until she gets tired and falls asleep... Shocked

Chew toys... A good idea too... About the type, get a variety, I guess.. Duno.. Have to leave up to all the "sifus" here... Sly

Biting slippers... A BIG NO-NO here... A pup may not know between new or old slippers, best to stop the habit when they are young. Someone suggested putting some vinegar mixed with water and rub on the slipper. Smile That worked for my Oofy last time. Keke... Didn't bite any other shoes anymore!

Hope this helps...

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

HappyGirl
New User

Oct 23, 2003, 9:50 PM

Post #18 of 45 (5182 views)
Shortcut

Puppies are just like young kids.They have a lot of energy & they are also afraid to be left alone.

What you can do is to start leaving yr dog for short period of time,like 15mins,30mins and so on.You can start by leaving him in another room,then you leave him in the house with you just outside the door.If you hear him barking,go to him & correct him immediately.If he doesn't bark after the 15min or 30min time frame,praise & reward with treats or hugs.Angelic

Rawhide treats & toys are good distractions for him when you're not around too.As he's still a puppy,do not give him toys that have small parts which he might swallow.Soft toys,squeaky toys,nyla bones are suitable.

It's not a good idea to get another pup at this stage.What might happen is that you may end up with 2 problem dogs instead of 1!Mad Try to play with him as much as you can when you're at home.you can play catch,ball & even remote control cars!

HappyGirl (S'pore)Smile

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2003, 11:11 PM

Post #19 of 45 (5179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HappyGirl] How to control a barking pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe... Great tips, man! Tongue

I like the remote control cars bit...

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

doodle
ALPHA

Oct 26, 2003, 6:35 AM

Post #20 of 45 (5167 views)
Shortcut

my doodle is very attached to me. When I leave the room, he will start whining. What I will do is just hide somewhere and he will be looking for me. He is pretty bad in finding me, therefore, I will keep calling his name. When he found me, i will praise and treat.

Try it and see? if not, maybe u can hold a threat and let him smell. Then try to run and hide. keep calling his name until he finds u...

repeat until he is tired and fall asleep.

Wink

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 27, 2003, 7:51 AM

Post #21 of 45 (5157 views)
Shortcut

thanks for giving great tips~~

u all colege students?

doodle
ALPHA

Oct 27, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #22 of 45 (5148 views)
Shortcut

yeah, i am a student..
currently studying in my final year
can't wait to graduate!

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 27, 2003, 7:33 PM

Post #23 of 45 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha....

Nice game of hide and seek. Hehehe... for my JRT pup, I'll just run in the garden with her since she loves to run now. She'll just get tired and "plop" on my lap... Tongue

I'm a IT professional who loves to bring the dog to work, but can't...

Join the JRT Zone

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 28, 2003, 10:36 AM

Post #24 of 45 (5135 views)
Shortcut

y hurry to graduate?

u wanna work??

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 28, 2003, 5:00 PM

Post #25 of 45 (5133 views)
Shortcut

Kekeke...

I agree-le.... Student life is soooo good but can sometimes be a bit "cham-la" coz sometimes no $$$$... Blush

Join the JRT Zone

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my