Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Coccidia : What should I do to control it?

LoveMyMaltese
Novice

Sep 26, 2003, 4:02 PM

Post #1 of 10 (577 views)
Shortcut
Coccidia : What should I do to control it? Can't Post

Hello, I just took my new puppy to get checked out at the Veterinarian and he has Coccidia, the kind without Cryptosporidium which is contagious to humans. I have one other dog and two cats. Right now I have him confined to his crate and I took away his toys and bed because I'm not sure if those items would assist the Coccidia in re-contracting. I've washed all my bedding and clothes that he's been on and bleached the yard where he has 'eliminated'.

My main concern is do I have to keep him off of my clothes and in his crate to avoid it spreading? If I put him on my bed will his butt touching the sheets spread the infection onto the sheet where my cats will then roll on it and contract Coccidia by cleaning themselves? Or do I simply have to clear his feces and make sure the other animals don't eat or interact with it?

I hope someone has experience with this, I hate the idea of keeping my puppy isolated for two weeks in this critical bonding stage! Thank you very much for your time! :)

nickcaren

Sep 26, 2003, 4:22 PM

Post #2 of 10 (571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LoveMyMaltese] Coccidia : What should I do to control it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

My new pup happens to contract this Coccidia and has been to near death situation. At the moment, still in the vet (been there for the whole week). So, its still very fresh in my mind when it comes to experience. Will tell you what I know...

Firstly, I would say its not contagious to human. But you will want to keep the places he's been clean. U can use dettol to clean up the places daily since you have other dogs n cats. It is highly contagious to them. You have no choice but to confine the one with the parasite as it is a deadly parasite. Did your vet give him medication? Important to stop the multiplication of parasite (eggs) in the intestinal system. Ensure that he does not touch his poo.

Do note that his feces does not contain blood, if yes, immediately see the vet and tells him about it.

For more detail, you can ask me here or to know more about my puppy n its symptom, you can check out my thread under this heading as well with the topic "Please HELP, Puppy having feats". Hope my 2 cents helps!

LoveMyMaltese
Novice

Sep 26, 2003, 4:41 PM

Post #3 of 10 (569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickcaren] Coccidia : What should I do to control it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for replying nickcaren. Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope it gets better :(

I'm giving him Albon for 10 days. As of now he has no symptoms, I took him just to get a physical and they found that in his stool, I personally thought he was in perfect health since he has experienced no diarrhea or vomiting. His stool has no blood in it.

Since I was lucky enough for my puppy to not be sick do you know what I should do to handle him? After holding him do I spray my shirt with Dettol? I'm afraid of spreading this to my other animals and also of him re-contracting it and having to confine him longer. Can I give him his bed back and spray that with Dettol daily or bi-daily? As of now he hasn't been pooping in his crate, he's only been peeing once a day in his crate because he's too young to control it. He's a good boy!

EDIT : I've never heard of Dettol, is it available in the United States? The Vet suggested I bleach where he pooped so if it isn't available in the U.S. is there some alternative type of spray that might sanitize his bedding and toys?

(This post was edited by LoveMyMaltese on Sep 26, 2003, 5:03 PM)

nickcaren

Sep 26, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #4 of 10 (554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LoveMyMaltese] Coccidia : What should I do to control it? [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know, coccidia mostly spread via poop. If you hold him and later attend to other pets, it should be fine as long as there's no poop. Sometimes, there's some stain at their hind (rear) where it may get to your shirt and subsequently may be licked by other pets. Or when he sits on the floor and later someone comes to smell or lick the floor...thats what worries most! Better to confine first, maybe sad for him for 2 weeks but its for the good of himself and the others.

Normally, coccidia does not show signs of vomit of diarrhoea in the initial stage. Have him on Albon and after 10 days, bring him to the vet and check again. Sometimes this parasite can re-infect.

Dettol is a disinfectant, it kills grems and bacteria. You can get any other cleaning agent that disinfects. Bleach can do the job fine as well. Smile

shockmesane
Dog Kichi

Sep 26, 2003, 6:54 PM

Post #5 of 10 (553 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Dettol is a brand name as well as general chemical name, by Reckitt Benckiser, a UK company. If it is available in US, you would've heard of it. In this case, it is used as a disinfectant, which, in its intructed dilution, kills certain bacterial / viral pathogens.

If this brand is not available, you may choose any alternatives which does the same function. The vet should be able to suggest a few. How about Chlorox then ? I suppose it is common enough in all countries.

Hope your dog recovers soon, since I can't offer much advice on this matter.
Jack

LoveMyMaltese
Novice

Sep 26, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #6 of 10 (551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shockmesane] Coccidia : What should I do to control it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot for responding, I plan to call the Vet in the morning. Right now I tore up an old shirt and tied a couple strips in knots for toys, I'm going to replace those daily. Confinement it is. It's sad for me too, I got 5 days to fall in love and 14 to lock him up ;)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 26, 2003, 7:33 PM

Post #7 of 10 (551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LoveMyMaltese, nickcaren] Coccidia : What should I do to control it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Sorry to hear your dog is not well ... the usual coccidia found in dogs do not infect humans. However, less common types of coccidia are potentially infectious to humans. And "Cryptosporidium" as you mentioned, may be carried by dogs or cats and may be transmitted to people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to control coccidia?

Oocysts (immature coccidia) are passed in the stool of the dog. They lie in the environment and eventually sporulate (mature) into a more developed oocyst which can infect the dog again. Other dogs, cats, or mice may also become infected. This process can occur in as little as 6 hours, but it usually takes 7-10 days. If the sporulated oocysts are swallowed, they mature in the dog's intestine to complete the life cycle.

*** oocysts are much smaller than the eggs of the intestinal worms.

*** Because coccidia is spread by the feces of carrier animals, it is very important to practice strict sanitation. All fecal material should be removed. Housing needs to be such that food and water cannot become contaminated with feces.

*** Clean water should be provided at all times.

*** Most disinfectants do not work well against coccidia; incineration of the feces, steam cleaning, immersion in boiling water or a 10% ammonia solution are the best methods to kill coccidia. Coccidia can withstand freezing. Cockroaches and flies can mechanically carry coccidia from one place to another. Therefore, insect and rodent control are very important in preventing coccidiosis.

*** Re-infection of dogs is common so environmental disinfection is important. The use of chlorine bleach, one cup in a gallon of water (500 ml in 4 liters) is effective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2-week confinement is intended to break the life cycle of this protozoan (single celled microscopic parasite that lives within cells of the intestinal lining).

I do understand your concern about wanting to "bond" with your dog over this period ...

Perhaps we can take it step by step and see what can and cannot be done, and see what can be arranged or adjusted.

(A) ONE: Looks like we have to accept that the dog should be confined and kept away from your other pets. Not much choice here.

(B) TWO: From the information above, it's not just cleaning the feces ... even if the bulk of the feces is taken away, the oocysts being so small can (i) be accidentially left behind ... (ii) attach themselves to clothing, bedding or skin ... thus increasing risk of infection and/or re-infection.

So okay, we also accept this. That being so - the dog should only allowed to eliminate in an area you can clean easily with the chlorine bleach solution described above.

Allowing the dog to do it on grass or soil is simply going to increase risk of spreading infection to other pets (unless you wish to keep pouring chlorine on that patch of grass or earth and risk poisoning the area).

(C) THREE: We also accept that if you play with the infected pet, you can inadvertently become a carrier of the oocysts, transferring the parasite from infected dog to your other pets.

Given the above ... what can be done?

Perhaps you can try this:

(i) Cordon off an area (whether a seperate room or fenced off area ... whatever your house/home allows) where the infected dog and crate can be placed. This cordoned off area will also include the elimination area (This will probably mess up any attempt to housetrain - but that's no longer the priority and can be done later). IMPORTANT: This area should be (a) easy to clean with the chlorine bleach solution and (b) inaccessible to your other pets. Treat this area like a Quarantine Area.

(ii) Only you or selected members of the household are allowed into this area ... to feed, clean up and interact with the dog.

(iii) Have slippers especially for use ONLY in this area ... Within this area, you can spend time with the dog ... in as normal a manner as the circumstances permit. When you exit ... leave the slippers behind, go immediately for a wash up and change of clothes before you interact with your other pets.

Ah oh ... might also be good idea to also soak the clothes you use in the area, with mild chlorine bleach solution.

Please check whether your vet approves of the above ...

Cheers & hope your dog gets well soon ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 26, 2003, 8:02 PM)

LoveMyMaltese
Novice

Sep 26, 2003, 9:33 PM

Post #8 of 10 (535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Coccidia : What should I do to control it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great Advice! I love this forum :) I also read somewhere that when out of the body they are very susceptable to being dried out and sunlight can kill them. So can we assume that running the clothes through the clothes dryer would take care of the parasite? I'll let you know what the Vet says about that.

I plan to take the dog outside of the fenced-in area where my other dog goes until he fights this off and play with him there. I'll just have to use some old white bum clothes and bleach them when I'm done. When you say poison the area by bleaching do you mean simply kill the grass and plant life, etc etc? Or after it sinks in and dries out will it be harmful to my dogs? Thanks!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 26, 2003, 9:52 PM

Post #9 of 10 (532 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

You wrote: " ... when out of the body they are very susceptable to being dried out and sunlight can kill them. So can we assume that running the clothes through the clothes dryer would take care of the parasite? ..."

*Hmmm* ... don't know about the sunlight bit ... so I cannot say. Perhaps check with vet?

In meantime, perhaps just soak clothes in a mild chlorine bleach solution for a bit before washing & sunning - just to be safe.

You wrote: " ... When you say poison the area by bleaching do you mean simply kill the grass and plant life, etc etc? Or after it sinks in and dries out will it be harmful to my dogs? ..."

Well ... chlorine is technically a poison ...

" ... Chlorine is found in non-toxic concentrations in many household situations, including swimming pool water, mild cleaners, or mild bleaches. However, inhalation or ingestion of concentrated chlorine can cause severe damage to the lungs and other organs ..."

So ... it's for that reason, I'd be hesitant about pouring a chlorine solution (maybe several times a day) on the same area or patch of grass or soil for 2 weeks ...

Oh ... before I forget ... maybe a shallow tub of chlorine bleach solution - to be used as a foot bath - for when you exit the area - that might be a good idea too ... (*think I might be getting paranoid here - but what the heck! ... better safe than sorry ...Tongue) ...

All the best ... take care ... Smile

LoveMyMaltese
Novice

Sep 26, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #10 of 10 (530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Coccidia : What should I do to control it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I'm definitely calling tha 'Doc Angelic

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my