Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Show and Championship:
Obedience Trials

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 2:02 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2886 views)
Shortcut
Obedience Trials Can't Post

Am new to the world of dog showing... but I have a new puppy, an English Cocker, and she loves to jump. I was wondering if there were any shows in Malaysia that did shows where the dog has to weave bending poles, jump obstacles etc? Also, if there are, are there lessons we can take our dogs to to train for such shows?

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 3:07 AM

Post #2 of 14 (2885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Obedience Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they call them Dog Agility Trials...

les
K9 Maniac

Sep 18, 2002, 4:02 AM

Post #3 of 14 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Erm... are u saying MKA training? If that is the one u are saying.. then u can call up MKA for the details.. Smile

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 8:36 AM

Post #4 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Hi Luckey!

Welcome onboard to the forum.. I see you are already interested in the agility training. That's good however you might need to start off with the basic obedience training first. THis will serve as a good foundation to foster the close working relationship required for agility work. Les has already pointed you to the for details. Check out their website at Also every Sunday from 4-6pm there's a MKA obedience classes being conducted at Padang Merbuk in PJ Jalan Gasing area. Feel free to drop by and chat/see/mingle with us there.

A word of advice.. Since your ECS is still in puppyhood stage, try NOT to encourage her/him to jump too much. Reason being is to avoid stressing the bones structure that are still growing especially the frontal section. More so for large breed dogs but it's prudent to apply the same precaution to the medium/small size breeds as well.

Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 2:34 PM

Post #5 of 14 (2878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Obedience Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Will definitely check out the obedience lessons... might need to wait a bit since my pup is just 2 and a half months. Have not started jumping her properly... but she likes to jump across our small drain, off our bed and likes to dive into pillows from a run. She also loves WATER! Tries to dive into the bucket everytime she drinks from it!

Have started training her to sit, stay and come though, which I thought might be useful when she does agility later... is this OK? Can I use my own signals for these commands, or are there special ways you need to signal to your dog when you compete?

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 9:21 PM

Post #6 of 14 (2863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Obedience Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Arthur,

I'm very interested in the agility course actually and I think my JRT will be too coz he has a lot of energy to give out Tongue....is it a must for a dog to pass its basic obedience first before enrolling in the agility class? How many lessons for the course? Do they hv any competitions thereafter? Thanks.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 7:19 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Obedience Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

what is the maximum age for a dog to take part in agility?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 7:48 PM

Post #8 of 14 (2754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Obedience Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda,

There is no max or min age for a dog to take part in agility....the most important thing is the dog has to be fit and healthy to do the jumps....but not advisable for dogs below 1 yr old coz it's not good for the bones and joint development especially in larger breeds.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 8:02 PM

Post #9 of 14 (2750 views)
Shortcut

kinki is going for the basic training in january. hope she can do well and until she reach agility.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 8:38 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2745 views)
Shortcut

How old is Kinki? I've enrolled my JRT puppy in that class too....guess will see u there then Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 8:42 PM

Post #11 of 14 (2741 views)
Shortcut

kinki will be 8 months old on january 2004. is that too old?

Pacco de Mongrel

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 9:19 PM

Post #12 of 14 (2737 views)
Shortcut

Nah not too old...Bailey will be 7 mths old in Jan.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2003, 11:52 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2730 views)
Shortcut

are there any dogs that couldn't manage to follow during the training lesson? do every dog pass their CGC test?

Pacco de Mongrel

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2003, 6:32 AM

Post #14 of 14 (2724 views)
Shortcut

Well this is the first time I'm attending class in KL so can't tell you whether did every dog ever attended CGC all passed but i shd think most of them did....most important thing is to do your own practice at home, preferably dedicate at least 15 mins a day.....1 hr once a week during class will not be sufficient Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my