IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Biting and chewing

Twenko

Sep 25, 2003, 7:15 AM

Post #1 of 21 (2753 views)
Shortcut
Biting and chewing Can't Post

Crazy Well... I love my Abby very much but I don't know why she kept biting ( playfully ) at anything that moves or look as if it's going to move.

My hands and arms have teeth marks and one of my fingers bled when her teeth puncture the skin. I'm not angry at my baby or anything but just wondering if I could train her not to bite too hard...

Another thing is, am I using the right method to train my baby to poop? Here's how ::

:: I take her outside right after she had eaten her meal
:: When she's peeing, I'll say "Pee pee" and when she poops, I'll say "Poo poo"
:: Right before I take her up to my bed to sleep at night, I take her to the toilet and say Pee pee and Poo poo until she pees or poops ( doesn't always work )

Thing is... am I doing the right thing? She's my first pup.

and told her to shi-shi and poo poo ( depending on what she's doing

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

My beloved furkids :
Abby, the Lickin' Champ - 7 months, Dober-Rott
Chelsea, the Eating Champ - 6 months, G.R
Jane, the Jumpin' Champ - 8 months, Shih Tzu

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 25, 2003, 6:03 PM

Post #2 of 21 (2744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Twenko] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

you've done a good job. just be patient cos she just started to learn... and compliment her everytime after she does it...

regards,
sweeeng

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 25, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #3 of 21 (2740 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Well... I love my Abby very much but I don't know why she kept biting ( playfully ) at anything that moves or look as if it's going to move.

What breed is this and how old is your puppy? If I understand you correctly this should not be more than 4 months rite? Anyway this is natural for puppies to me mouthy as they are playing and perhaps even toothing. The way to stop is that everytime she bites you say a loud "OUCH" which should startled her temporarily and she will look at you. Quickly praise her and give her some good food treets which is soft and easily edible like cheese. Make it very small piece so that she get gulp it in one mouth not bite and chew on it which is then too big piece. This goes on and you may have to carry the cheese or little pieces of cut sausage handy and do that everytime she bites. Slowly she will get the idea that biting gets no satisfaction but stop biting gets immediate good food.

You will also have to be alert of your puppy and everything she does and if you walk into the room and she doesn't bite you then again quickly praise her when she look at you and food again. This is channeling destructive behaviour into attention for you. You will have to do this for few weeks to build reliability.

The rest of what you do I think it is ok except for puppy up in bed with you. This will become a training issue in future. Also IMO, shi shi for shi shi and poo-poo for poo-poo I think may be overdoing it. Just use one word Poo-poo for both the action unless you want fido to become robot that will piss on command and pooh on another commandTongue This is just my opinion.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

(This post was edited by PSD on Sep 25, 2003, 7:53 PM)

Kowpa

Sep 26, 2003, 7:00 AM

Post #4 of 21 (2722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

To the dog thinking anything that move is prey If ur interested in training this is very good in prey drive .

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 26, 2003, 7:37 PM

Post #5 of 21 (2712 views)
Shortcut

Hi twenko, dunno what dog you have but u r doing better then I did when I had my Babe dog...:)
One suggestion, dip ur hand in something bitter, like lemon juice b4 playing with ur doggy. Sometimes they stop biting coz they don't like the taste.
1 silly thing I did last time that really got Babe to stop was...I bit her leg back, mind u, not to hard, just enuff to let her know it is painful. Sly Come to think about it, it was quite funny. She had a shock. Sat down, looked at me big eyes and hestitantly sniffed at my mouth like..."Oh, I didn't know u can bite too." After that, she was more gentle when playing. But she was bout 6 mths old then. If ur doggie is too young, they won't understd the lesson. Different dogs react differently. Just have to gage.Wink

Laura & Babe

mochacappucino
Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2003, 1:06 AM

Post #6 of 21 (2703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitten] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow... you actually bit your dog?! Shocked

Regards,
~!@Mocha@!~

Come to the Chit Chat Thread with MochaCappucino @ the Chit Chat Section !
Or come join the Klang Division Thread !

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 27, 2003, 1:16 AM

Post #7 of 21 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mochacappucino] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Mocha, heh heh I sure did. Blush

Laura & Babe

mochacappucino
Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2003, 1:23 AM

Post #8 of 21 (2700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitten] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Luckily your dog didn't take that as a game and continue biting... hehehe... then it will become a competition... Laugh

Regards,
~!@Mocha@!~

Come to the Chit Chat Thread with MochaCappucino @ the Chit Chat Section !
Or come join the Klang Division Thread !

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 27, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #9 of 21 (2699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mochacappucino] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked Now that u mention it :) I'll never forget that look in her little doggie face when I did that. Laugh Sigh but I got other problems with my little furball now. Surfing the forum for ideas Smile

Laura & Babe

Twenko

Sep 27, 2003, 5:29 AM

Post #10 of 21 (2696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Hello PSD~!

Abby's a 2 month old Rottweiler pup. (^_^) I said Ouch everytime she bit too hard. She ended up getting really excited and bit harder.

Can dogs eat chocolates?

For some reason, Abby is now more interested in messing the whole house up by chewing papers and scattering the pieces everywhere. If I said NO firmly and give her a light smack on the butt, she'll give me a bark and lie down on a corner. Aduh... sakit hati seeing her big puppy eyes looking at me.... Crazy

I tried to let her sleep on the floor but she kept whining all night. Again, sakit hati and ended up sleeping with her again. Ahaha.... I think you're right bout the poo poo and pee pee thing.

<-- still trying to toilet train her.

Kitten :: WOW~! My brother did that to Abby just now. She bit him so hard that he lift her up and bit her leg. Not too hard as to hurt her but to surprise her. OMG, the look on Abby's face when my brother bit is SO funny~! Laugh

However, after several seconds, she bit him again. Both ended up saliva-coated ( eeww~! )

I think I've been playing with her too much. She's ignoring us this whole day, except during meal time. She prefer to play with the papers and somehow managed to tear my dad's bougain-villa plants to smitherins... (^_^)

~ Twenko

PS : Is it normal for puppies to poo poo more than 5 times in a day?

My beloved furkids :

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 6:48 AM

Post #11 of 21 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Abby's a 2 month old Rottweiler pup. (^_^) I said Ouch everytime she bit too hard. She ended up getting really excited and bit harder.

You are too slow with your reward. To be successful trainer you have to think 2-3 steps ahead of Abby and anticipate her next move. think about this and try again.

Can dogs eat chocolates?

No

For some reason, Abby is now more interested in messing the whole house up by chewing papers and scattering the pieces everywhere. If I said NO firmly and give her a light smack on the butt, she'll give me a bark and lie down on a corner. Aduh... sakit hati seeing her big puppy eyes looking at me.... Crazy

Training a puppy no need to smack. Just channel her activities to toys, food and yourself. Puppy will always act like a puppy.

I tried to let her sleep on the floor but she kept whining all night. Again, sakit hati and ended up sleeping with her again.

You will have big problem later if you continue this act. She needs to have her own kennel or crate.

Ahaha.... I think you're right bout the poo poo and pee pee thing.

Smile

<-- still trying to toilet train her.

Without crate this effort will be almost futile especially to inexperienced trainer.

PS : Is it normal for puppies to poo poo more than 5 times in a day?

wee wee yes. poopoo no.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 10:35 PM

Post #12 of 21 (2683 views)
Shortcut

If your training sequence is ... Puppy BITES - you say OUCH - and QUICKLY TREAT ...

Are you actually teaching & training your pup that she will get a treat everytime she bites you?

Could that be the reason why your pup is getting excited and biting harder?

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 27, 2003, 10:38 PM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 11:42 PM

Post #13 of 21 (2679 views)
Shortcut

and...chococlates are poisonous to dogs.. if given the wrong amount or if the chocolate has a high concentration of somekind of chemical...can't rememeber what it was though Unsure

but I would suggest not to give at all..bad for ur doggie in the long run Frown
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Twenko

Sep 30, 2003, 6:35 AM

Post #14 of 21 (2657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy Aiya... scary lah. Luckily I only gave Abby a piece of chocolate once. No more chocolates, Abby~!

My dad tied a chew toy to a cloth string. Whenever Abby starts biting us, we will throw the toy away from us and run away when she runs for the toy.

Laugh Aiyo, my Abby is very food-oriented. Her motto now is : "Will do ANYTHING for food"

My beloved furkids :

Kowpa

Sep 30, 2003, 7:39 AM

Post #15 of 21 (2654 views)
Shortcut

make him toy oriented instead of food how old is he now?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 9:18 AM

Post #16 of 21 (2648 views)
Shortcut

LOL...Laugh

my dogs are all like that too..well, except one anyway..he's more into praise and has a stronger will to please than the others Smile

"Whenever Abby starts biting us, we will throw the toy away from us and run away when she runs for the toy. "

that kinda confused me....Crazy are u rewarding her for biting u?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Twenko

Sep 30, 2003, 7:43 PM

Post #17 of 21 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Abby's two months old. Maybe that's why she's more food-oriented but she really love the toy bunny....

Reality Dreamer : Laugh No, I'm not rewarding her for biting me. I throw the toy away to distract her from biting. Then when's she's not looking, I'll run and hide.

<-- bad trainer.

Really, my smack is not even hard enough to smash a piece of tofu...

My beloved furkids :

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 8:21 PM

Post #18 of 21 (2642 views)
Shortcut

huh? distract?.... if she doesn't bite u..at other times..use the toy to distract her.

Coz by the way it sounds...

ex: doggie sit, give toy

doggie down, give toy

doggie speak, give toy...

the toy works as a reward if given right after a certain action.

for distraction...should be given any other time..not when she bites u..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 11:46 PM

Post #19 of 21 (2635 views)
Shortcut

oh yeah...chocolates are big NO-NO...

heard that onions are also not good for dogs??

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 1, 2003, 8:13 AM

Post #20 of 21 (2628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Biting and chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

yeap. wht u heard is right.

It's poisonous too..if given the wrong amount.. but i would suggest to avoid giving our furry ones any at all...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 1:10 AM

Post #21 of 21 (2616 views)
Shortcut

yep...just in case..Smile

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my