Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
what a messed...

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 17, 2002, 7:05 AM

Post #1 of 18 (4944 views)
Shortcut
what a messed... Can't Post

Dear the entire master. I went home from work today and saw a horrible scene that I never see before. My ECS was messed out my apartment seriously. I can see poo poo everywhere, magazine rack was spoiled, shoe polish was break into two, curtains was out of shape, couch has disfigure... What's wrong with her? What should I do? Shall I punish her?

CosmosMom
Novice

Sep 17, 2002, 3:26 PM

Post #2 of 18 (4934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cheryl] what a messed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not believe anything is wrong with your dog, she is just being a puppy Smile Your best bet would be to block her in only a small section of your home while you are not there. I know that may not sound nice to seclude her in her own home Frown but that my be your only choice. I put my 6 week old yorkie either in the bathroom or kitchen with plenty of toys and a bed. I use a baby gate to block him from getting out. It has worked out great for us. Hope this could work for your.

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2002, 4:49 PM

Post #3 of 18 (4930 views)
Shortcut

Distructiveness is usualy a sign of boredom . Could be a sign of protest as it has been left alone.
However we have no choice as we need to work.
It is true as CosmosMom says puppies will always be puppies.
My suggestion is:-
1) DO NOT punish your puppy
2) Buy lots of chew toys for your doggie
3) As Cosmos suggested leave your pup in disclosed area ie a room,playpan,block with baby gate,etc)

I guess you would have already work on toliet train your doggie. Get a litter box or degsignate a certain area of your house for poo and wee wee. Once it has learn where to poo and wee you need not worry much about the mess it will create. But remember toilet training will take time and there will be bound to be some mess initially.

All the best!

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2002, 5:56 PM

Post #4 of 18 (4925 views)
Shortcut

What both Cosmosmom and Cheng See mentioned are very true. Either you allocate a place to keep her in or suffer from her destruction. At 10 months, mine is pretty much the same. As long as I'm around, he's fine. Otherwise, he'll dig up the garden, eating anything that interest him. So, it's quite worrying. What I do is tie him up and let the maid release him occasionally. Not much choice. ECS are not meant to be left alone for long period - so says the book on ECS. Give her lots to chew ie. rawhides and keep hazardous material away. You can also try leaving a radio switched on. As they say music soothes the savage beast but in this case, active ECS. Cheers!

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Sep 17, 2002, 10:21 PM

Post #5 of 18 (4913 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cheryl

You poor thing, but yes, it's what you expect from a puppy left on their own. Have you thought about buying a crate for sleeping? You can use this too for when you're not home. My dogs have a crate each, whenever I go out, even if it's just to the shop, I put them inside the crate. It sounds cruel, but they are actually much happier in the crate. I learnt this from when my mother had a hearing dog, the dog knows when it is in the crate it's safe and can ignore all the noises and sounds outside that might otherwise have it barking or stressed. One of my dogs likes to just go and hide in the crate sometimes even when I'm home.

My dogs are only toys (Bichon Frise) so don't need much exercise, so I'm not sure about ECS, maybe they need more exercise and can't be crated for so long. Anyway, it's another thing to try ... having dogs is like having babies they are all different and you have to find what suits you both best.

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2002, 12:55 AM

Post #6 of 18 (4904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] what a messed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pirateok... Patience is a virtue. I must learn how to be a good mamaTongue. Ohya… I am actually tied her up with the choker today… what do you guys/gals think? Do you think she will mad on me?

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2002, 1:03 AM

Post #7 of 18 (4902 views)
Shortcut

Cheryl, do you mean to say that you put your doggie on choker dog collar? If Yes, please get her a normal collar instead. There are many doggy sites out there that reminded us not to leave/tie the dog with a choker collar. Only to be used during training. Otherwise, the dog may get tangled up and choked herself. One site actually made the reader promise not to use that type of collar prior to continue reading.... Crazy

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2002, 1:38 AM

Post #8 of 18 (4899 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cheryl,

I had the exact same problem with snuffy when she was 3 months - 8 months old.. If I leave her home for too long in the day and when I am back later, I cannot recognise my house anymore, cd casing is torn apart, books are torn off, poo poo everywhere & etc etc..

But what I did later was to get a doggy gate, and limited her to a small area in the house (no need to tie her at all for that Smile) She was limited to that small areas (when she is home alone) until she was about 6 months old.. Then, we leave her out, but remove anything that is doggy reachable & that we don't want her to destroy, buy her lots and lots of toys, keep the radio or TV on if can so they can have some noises to accompany them..

Then, it got better and better. Now, I can leave her home alone without any problem (she is a year now).

And don't worry, this is just a process of them growing up, ur dog is entirely normal. And there is no need to punish her if you found out that she has destroyed something when you are back, as they won't know why they are being punished for, unless you caught them in the act and that is a diff story.

Regards,

KBS

les
K9 Maniac

Sep 18, 2002, 4:18 AM

Post #9 of 18 (4898 views)
Shortcut

Poor Cheryl...

Well.. I am agreed with what Cheng See said... buy more chew toys for her.. think she is too bore.. Smile Put her in crate will be the last option.. but i dun really like the idea of cage them in crate..

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

kumar
Novice

Sep 18, 2002, 7:59 AM

Post #10 of 18 (4893 views)
Shortcut

Don’t worry you won’t have that problem too long, just for a moment, because it’s still like small baby, when become an adult it will change…

Best regards,Kumar

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 8:12 AM

Post #11 of 18 (4890 views)
Shortcut

Hey just a short note....pls be very careful if you're thinking of tying your dog up without supervision...it's extremely dangerous as the dog may choke himself to death....I hv a friend whose dog died for that reason....no one was home, she came home and found her dog entangled to death....a crate or a limited space is the best way to go.

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2002, 6:15 PM

Post #12 of 18 (4883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] what a messed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes Jason, I bought her a choker which is recommended by a pet shop salesgirl. I don’t know that tying a dog will cause harmful until I’ve read Ginl’s friend incident… I had removed her choker and let her play in my guess room until I back from work (Isn’t a good idea?)Cool. Just wondering how wonderful if we can understand dog’s language. By the way, I must praise my puppy is a smart little fellowShocked… yesterday my neighbor’s house was run into burglar in the afternoon. After I’ve received a call from my neighbor, I went home immediately… and look whether is Spring in the secure or not?! Guess what, I think she might know what is going wrong… maybe she can smell the strangers. Normally when I got home for sure she will hide herself behind the main door. When I returned home yesterday she didn’t hide herself behind the door… infact she hide herself in the washroom behind the shower curtain. She jumps into me after I opened the shower curtain… and giggling in my arm. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2002, 6:19 PM

Post #13 of 18 (4882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] what a messed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok…I will cut down my cost of buying garment and spend on her… she is the queen now… Frown

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 9:15 PM

Post #14 of 18 (4871 views)
Shortcut

Wow glad your hse and Spring were ok....dogs are very intelligent creature and Spring probably sensed something was wrong that's why the change in behaviour....if only they cud talk huh, things wud be so much easier. A choker which is the metal leash with two round hooks at both ends shd never be used for tying up a dog....u'll notice that the more the dog pulls the tighter it gets and that's very dangerous....it shd only be used for training and removed after that.....don't let your dog wear it around the hse either coz it might get caught....looks like you found a place for her in your hse....just make sure your guest room is puppy proved Wink

valery

Sep 19, 2002, 12:20 AM

Post #15 of 18 (4859 views)
Shortcut

Cheryl...don't worry. it is pretty normal behaviors especially when they're left alone and feeling bored. so the best thing to do now is to leave him a smaller corner of your home. for me, i brough a large cage, one for each dog and at first they started to bark the whole neighbourhood down. i thought my neighbours were gonna call the police or something. now, they're used to it and it has become a routine each morning. i clean the cage b4 i leave for work and let them out. as soon as i finish, i call them and they are happy to return to their home. but remember to make the place cosy, please a small rug or towel and especially do not forget their toys and treat them when they are let in. make sure the cage/enclosure is big enough for them to turn around easily.

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 19, 2002, 5:57 AM

Post #16 of 18 (4850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [valery] what a messed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wanna share something with you all… every time when I go through the messages from you guys I feel very teasing just simply because of the puppy image appear on the left. Especially looking at Valery’s pup… what a serious ‘Sifu’ face. Anyone have the same feeling huh? Laugh

evehock
Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2002, 6:56 AM

Post #17 of 18 (4847 views)
Shortcut

Cheryl, I agree with you.. but I have say it's cute too.Laugh

eve

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 21, 2002, 2:48 AM

Post #18 of 18 (4827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evehock] what a messed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Valery, you have a wonderful pup and she/he is always made my day. Actually all the doggy pictures brighten up my day… they all have a very unique look.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my