First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 16, 2002, 7:12 PM

Post #1 of 38 (13597 views)
Shortcut
Oster Golden A5 Clipper Can't Post

Hi All,

I am planning to purchase a good, reliable and cool running electric clipper for my Schnauzers. Have shortlisted to this Oster Golden A5 Clippers which fits my requirements. Would appreciate any feedback on this model from our forum members here...

For info, I am currently using an Andis model which is quite warms up pretty fast and requires constant cooling.That's the reason for my upgrade!Crazy

Rdgs Arthur

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 10:11 PM

Post #2 of 38 (13588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur, I don't know much about clippers. But any plans of selling of your existing one? If Yes, at what price? Might be interested. Thanks.

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2002, 6:53 PM

Post #3 of 38 (13561 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur, I am considering getting a clipper for my dog. After much searching, it comes to my opinion that Oster is quite reliable with the right features. From your experience, which model would suit my ECS? I guess my main concern is the ability to clip my ECS's type of coat, does not heats up easily and also acts as a trimmer. Was looking at the Oster 2 Speed A5 clipper. Any recommendation on where to get and the price?

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 26, 2002, 5:47 AM

Post #4 of 38 (13553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasonlyh] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi jasonlyh, you have an ECS? I have ECS' and read somewhere that they should not be clipped, but stripped either with a comb or with your thumbs... I have been doing that with my dog.

Have you always clipped your dog, do u show, and what do the show judges here expect with ECS's?

Thanks!Smile

mackay_low

Oct 27, 2002, 7:19 AM

Post #5 of 38 (13543 views)
Shortcut

Arthur,

The Oster clipper that you mentioned here is quite good. I am using that for a few years already. Both Andis and Oster will warm up quite fast, in fact Oster warm faster. But, I feel that Oster is much better because it may clip faster than Andis. Also, Oster blades are better and more long lasting compared to Andis.

Mackay

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2002, 5:32 PM

Post #6 of 38 (13534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Luckey. Yes I have a black ECS. Why is clipping of ECS not recommended? So far met a few ECS that have been clipped and groomed. With the M'sian weather and him getting heat sores, I prefer to get him clipped. He looks much neater after his clipping. So far I had him clipped by a professional groomer once. I finally gotten a clipper over the weekend and had quite an experience clipping him. I have no intention of showing him but I guess, like all dogs they need to be neat when it comes to showing them. Cheers

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2002, 3:27 AM

Post #7 of 38 (13522 views)
Shortcut

Well from wehre i read, clipping gives an unnatural look... whereas plucking out the hair removes all the long fluffy messy bits, but keep the fur looking like you never touched it with either scissors or clippers... I don't know which looks better or which the judges in Msia prefer... have never tried clipping my dogs.

i'll go to the next dogshow and have a look i guess, then decide :)

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2002, 5:55 PM

Post #8 of 38 (13511 views)
Shortcut

Ouch ...Crazy something like plucking the feather off a chicken??? I tried doing that to mine once and he stayed away from me after that. Had to win his confidence back Unsure. I think you are on the right track with the hair plucking method coz I do have a book on ECS that teaches how to hand pluck. And judging from the photos, your ECS simply looks beautiful. Do you mind sharing with me the type of shampoo used? Does your dogs experiences any skin problem due to the warm weather. What are they diet like? Need some advise coz this is my first ECS Wink. Maybe can start a different posting on this... Thanks

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 29, 2002, 9:12 PM

Post #9 of 38 (13505 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the compliment on our cockers... Smile really nice when someone has nice things to say about my dogs!

As long as you don't pluck out huge chunks of hair at once, the dog shouldn't mind, although Jupey our big cocker doesn't like it too much either - for him I have to do it when he's kinda sleepy.

We normally wash them with regular shampoo (for humans) and we use conditioner once a week to keep their hair soft, but we also feed them with multivatamins to improve their condition. For Juno who just had pups and lost hair during her pregnancy, we are giving her a supplement to improve hair growth so she can grow her nice feathers again...

My dog Jupey gets a rash round his neck when he wears a leather collar, but since we switched to a choke chain, his rash has gone.

For their diet, we give them dry dog biscuits for breakfast, canned dog food for lunch and dinner, and occasionally meat as well. For training, lamb jerky works really well - they adore that stuff!!

See you at the next doggy event! Wink

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2002, 10:05 PM

Post #10 of 38 (13502 views)
Shortcut

U r welcome Wink
I think I'll stick to clipping his hair. Can imagine the patience and time needed to pluck. Maybe you can demonstrate on my cocker next time. Wow, can use human shampoo on dog?? Always thought that the Ph may not be correct. Thanks. I do feed my dog with fish liver oil in the capsule form for a nice shine on the coat. And finally, my dog only gets 2 meals per day and I'm feeding him dry food all the way. I think I should board my dog at your place....haha.
I have read articles informing dog owners that wearing a choke chain apart from during training is highly not recommended coz the chain may get caught on something and choke the dog. Maybe you can try those nylon collar instead. Yup..see ya at the next event. Cheers

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 30, 2002, 12:21 AM

Post #11 of 38 (13495 views)
Shortcut

Haha... don't know if boarding a dog at my place is as nice as it sounds, my dog Jupey is a verrrry jealous dog ! Unsure Yeah i also read that dog shampoos are better for dogs than human shampoo, but those articles are generally put out by these dog product companies.

We don't keep a choke chain on Juno our other cocker, but Jupey needs a collar on all the time and he gets very strong coz he is very headstrong and sometimes aggressive, so we need to be able to put leash on at a moment's notice... but all our dogs live in the house and they are with us all day (my parents don't work) so should be pretty safe. I wouldn't put a choke chain on a pup though.

Thanks for your thoughts Smile

elizatye
K9 Senior

Oct 31, 2002, 12:57 AM

Post #12 of 38 (13481 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Arthur,

I'm a new user for this site and just joining in today. I have some problem in handling my puppy's messy hair. I know that you have 3 MS, right ?PLEASE, can you give me some advice in grooming my lovely puppy.

Have you experiened in this kind of problem, while you clean your MSs' ear hole using cotton bar, the cotton stucked inside their ear hole ??? ya ya ya, i know, i'm very uncareful, stupid ...... and now, he just keep scratching his ear... I've sent him to the vet and the doctor said there is nothing inside his ear hole.... anything i can do ??????

You clip you MSs yourself right, can i do so ???

Thanks

Eliza

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 31, 2002, 2:33 AM

Post #13 of 38 (13475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eliza,

Welcome to the forum! I gather you are also another Miniature Schnauzer owner right? Great. First thing first..if the vet has confirmed that there's no foreign object in the ear, then the scratching could be due to irritation to the ear canal. Or it could be due to ticks! Use a strong light and give it a good visual inspection.

Grooming your own schnauzer is a challenging but very rewarding task. The schnauzer is one breed that makes use of almost all the grooming tools out there. Clippers, grooming scissors, thining scissors, combs, brushes, nail clippers, stripping knives, etc.. But don't let this long list intimidate you. A pet trim is quite straightforward. Let me know if you are still interested. We can most certainly talk further on this subject.

Rdgs Arthur

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 31, 2002, 6:21 AM

Post #14 of 38 (13465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackay_low] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Mackay,

Thks for the advice. I've chkd around with the local pet stores..Andis is more popular than Oster. Just one more question..do you know if the Andis clipper can use Oster blades? That way, maybe I can have the best of both worlds..ie the cheaper Andis clipper and the longer lasting Oster blades. Smile

Thks again.

Rdgs Arthur

mackay_low

Oct 31, 2002, 6:58 AM

Post #15 of 38 (13459 views)
Shortcut

The breed standard says the English Cocker Spaniel's topcoat is not supposed to be clipped. Should be plucked as you have said.

Mackay

mackay_low

Oct 31, 2002, 7:00 AM

Post #16 of 38 (13459 views)
Shortcut

Andis is more popular because it is cheaper. Yes, you can use the blade of Oster on Andis blades....depending on which Andis clipper you use.

Mackay

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2002, 5:39 PM

Post #17 of 38 (13447 views)
Shortcut

Hey Arthur .. I just gotten an Andis too although I was looking for an Oster. Andis was recommended by the shop. According to the person, although Oster is the pioneer in the clipper, they have not improved on it but Andis did. Anyway, no difference for me as long it can clip well. And yes, it was also mentioned that the blade can be be used on Andis and vice versa. Thanks Mackay for confirming the plucking of ECS topcoat.

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 31, 2002, 5:57 PM

Post #18 of 38 (13444 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for confirming, Mackay! see you at the next show!Smile

mackay_low

Oct 31, 2002, 9:10 PM

Post #19 of 38 (13433 views)
Shortcut

Hi jason,

Most shop sell Andis, so they will say whatever good on behalf on Andis, and there is only 1 shop sells Oster. You guys should go find out what are the clippers that GROMMERS in pet shop uses. Most of them are using Oster while some using Japanese brands.

Mackay

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2002, 9:30 PM

Post #20 of 38 (13431 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mackay,
This I totally agree. They will always say the product is good coz they're selling it. Who wouldn't, rite Wink. Anyway, for me as long as the clipper does it job, it's fine with me as I'm no professional groomer. Maybe after a few more sessions, I might just change profession. Pls don't get me wrong. Not saying that Andis is better than Oster but just repeating what I was told and sharing a bit. Wink Cheers and good luck for the coming show

(This post was edited by jasonlyh on Oct 31, 2002, 9:38 PM)

mackay_low

Oct 31, 2002, 11:47 PM

Post #21 of 38 (13423 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for the wishes, Jason.

Mackay

kanch

Nov 2, 2002, 6:42 PM

Post #22 of 38 (13410 views)
Shortcut

hi arthur,

i would like to know where can i purchase the oster clippers. so far i have been looking around but can't seem to find any shop that sells it. im using a jaguar clipper. its not famous here but in germany its the best. it can be used cordless and doesnt heat up till an hour later if used non-stop.

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Nov 5, 2002, 4:40 AM

Post #23 of 38 (13399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kanch] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kanch!

Wow, that is verrrry long. My Oster can only run for 15 mins (max) then i would have to cool it. Urm...drop me a mail if you would get an Oster so i can tell you where to get it (coz i don't know if you are staying in KL)....

kanch

Nov 5, 2002, 11:58 PM

Post #24 of 38 (13393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ccsy98] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ccsy98!

i thought one hour was pretty fast, thought that oster would do much better...15 mins??? thats pretty fast aint it..anyways i dont have your email. yeaps i'm staying in kl which oster model are u using?

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Nov 6, 2002, 3:31 PM

Post #25 of 38 (13380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kanch] Oster Golden A5 Clipper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kanch,

oopppsss sorry, I thought I have put in my email add. I have edited my profile, so my add is in.

the Model i am using right now is 96-01e, comes with detachable combs, grooming tape, comb, scissors, oil and a convertor. I'll call up the petshop for you and see if they've got any new stock coz i bought the only one there...I saw another cheaper and simpler version (Oster) and it doesn't need a convertor, so just drop me a mail so that i have your email add.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my